1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

19 Year Old Goes Backpacking...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Thought people would enjoy this. Generic middle class 19 year old goes backpacking in India and has been commissioned by the Guardian to write a blog about it. Read what the kid writes and then read the replies.

Guardian Backpacking

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2008
  2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Heh, poor kid. Which of the 500 replies are you thinking of, BA?

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    To be honest he (or whoever put him up to this - his father?) was asking for it. While some of the comments are unnecessarily abusive, I find many of the criticisms to be justified. First the nepotism issue - I'm sure someone in the Guardian must have noticed, and if they thought none of the readers would make a connection they were obviously wrong. Then there's the whole premise: rich kid (I wouldn't exactly call him "middle class") goes to Asia to get drunk and have sex. I'm not making this up - it's all in the article. The picture they had of him didn't really help either, which might be why they took it down so quickly (though you can still find it here. I've yet to determine if that article is actually serious or immensely sarcastic). His whining about things like visas and so on is pathetic - he spent a few hours getting a visa? Big deal, some of us spend weeks (some people I know had to wait months) getting visas. Sorry, no sympathy there. Then of course there's his writing. He might be a writer for Skins (whatever that is, I don't think I want to see it if this is what is considered quality writing there) but he reads exactly like a mediocre 19-year old would write - not atrociously bad, but not good either. I know several under-16s that write much, much better than this (and one isn't even a native English speaker), so I'm not "impressed".

To be fair I've nothing against a teenager going on a holiday at his parents' expenses, having a good time and starting his or her own blog about it. It's a free country, and it's not as if that would hurt anyone else. But having the son of the Guardian's travel editor be published in the Guardian and be presented as an "impressive" writer (when the writing two lines under clearly says otherwise) and when he doesn't really seem to have much to say strikes me as a stupid move by the editors.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Dear lord, that link of Ziad's is killing me... :lol: Superbly written.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Ok, so after seeing your reaction I went back and re-read that article I linked. I cannot believe I failed to see the sarcasm on my first read through. It is hysterically funny :lol:

6. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Oh yes, whoever this John Brownlee is, I am now a fan.

7. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    This has got to be a joke...

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

A titan laid low... :shake:

Really, someone on the Grauniad should have seen this coming. I know it's not in the same league, but to make such fuss about the Conways, and then this... sloppy, very sloppy.

And to think, he might've got away with it if it weren't for the Wikipedia entry. "Top Gauardian travel columnist", indeed. :lol:

EDIT: obligatory w00t 2000 posts! Dammit, I'm getting as cliched as Max.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.