1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3D Graphics Accelerator

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Icingdeath45, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

OK, I just bought everquest today, i got it all installed, and when i clicked play it said no 3D device detected. Does anyone here know whats wrong? my friend said i needed a 3D accelerator card. Also, does any1 here know where I can get one.

2. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Well, yes you do need a 3D card, like geforce or radeon maybe. I only know swedish sites with that kind of stuff, but i guess you can buy a graffics card pretty much wherever they sell computer stuff, so just go to your nearest comp. store and buy it. I'd recommend Geforce4 TI 4200, the price isn't too high and it's a very good card :)

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

3D-cards are nowdays a standard piece of hardware, so your comp must be mighty old (if the card did not come with the package). If so, don't bother to buy a brand new agp-card with a price tag of 500 € -choose one of the MX series (Like GeForce4 MX).

4. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

@virne it's about 7 years old. :wail:
    I hoked up my good computer to te internet. My rents finally let me. It's got one. Thanks foryou hlp anyway though

5. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Whoa... 7 years old? I hate to break it to you, but that machine won't play Everquest. I played it for a year or two... I didn't have the advanced models turned on, and it didn't run that sweetly on an 850 with 256mb of ram and a Voodoo3... later a GeForce4MX. Don't get me wrong... it was playable... but it wasn't super-smooth.

I'm sorry to say, but if your machine is really 7 years old, you'll have to upgrade/replace it if you want to play EQ. Have you managed to get Windows XP running on it?

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What's your price range and hardware specs? I got my nVidia G-Force Ti-4200 graphics card for about $137 almost a year ago (which means it's probably below $100 by now). It runs every game I have beautifully. Neverwinter Nights, Jedi Knight 2, all the good 3-D ones. Morrowind runs a little choppy, but that's more the game engine than anything. If you're willing to spend about $100 you can get something good. What was state of the art and $500 a year ago is now old news and half the price today. A processor that was fast as hell a year ago is still pretty damn fast.

That said...if your PC is an old clunker, it won't run the new card anyway. Might want to consider getting a new one, if you can. You can build a new PC from scratch, or buy a new one without periforals (monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc) for under $1000. May be the best way to go.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.