1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3E Epic Level Handbook - worth getting?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Lokken, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] Ok, I read through the topic with them weird monsters of insane CR etc. just below.

Now I'm wondering if the book is worth getting? I was thinking of letting my players reach a level of around 25-30 (if I can keep thinking of stuff for them to do at those levels).

Not sure if I need to actually buy the handbook for that? or should i just stick to the guidelines of the campaign setting?

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] If you are going to allow your PCs to reach over 20th level I'd suggest you buy the book. There are a lot more then monsters in the book. There are tons of rules, feats, and skills designed to deal with characters over 20th. And even if you don't let your PC gain access to the abilities (depending on your judgement) you can always use them for the bad guys.

3. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I haven't seen the contents (other than the peek from Invoker), but I'd say it's probably worth it. I looked at those horribly overdone monsters, and put them in the same category as the Terrasque: just too chessey for me! There's a lot more ways to make the game challenging for high-level characters than having them fight ridiculously powerful creatures.

On a slightly different note, the really powerful PCs, NPCs, and monsters can actually come off really well if you start doing campaigns on other planes and strange 'universes'. I think combining these two things is where they both really take off :)

4. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

If you are letting them get that high I would deffinatly buy the book... or buy it for reference... as the only things in the MM with a CR over 20 are the Dragons...
    Also, the Epic handbooks rules ect. are used in the book dealing with the gods if you are going to include them in your campains you might need the epic book.

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

well I'm not worried about the encounters. More the guidelines for how the epic class works, when you level up.

6. Gurtha a'coia Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] If you care only about for the epic class, then I do not believe it is worth it. The classes advance the same way they did and what irritates me is that they filled up the classes that did not gain enough special abilities with feats. The epic prestige classes are not really interesting as far as I am concerned. So unless you need the new feats and spells, I say your imagination will do the same job.

7. Xandar Dae'Ithil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I don't care what anyone says....it's definitely worth it. Just got it a few hours ago in fact. Tons of new feats, spells, and lots and lots of monsters. But yeah, the classes do progress the same, but still worth it. :p

8. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

ok, I didn't buy the book, but looked briefly through it anyhow. Bring your calculators!
    IMO 95% of the stuff in the book is useless to me and the remaining 5 I can find the campaign setting.

The book seems fine if you like high level play, but the look I got at it, it doesn't seem suitable for faerun, at least not in my campaign

9. Void Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I just got it, and I think its excellent. About that thing with the 100 attack per round, due to "the press of limbs", it can only make 10 attacks per round VS a small or smaller creature, 15 for medium, 20 for large or all 100 for anything larger...

10. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The Hecatoncheires are NASTY. They almost single handedly turned the tide against Cronus, et al during the Titanomachy. If they had sided with the Titans, I don't think we would have heard much about Zeus in our mythology classes. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.