1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3E high level NPC ideas...

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Tyrion, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Tyrion Guest

Anyone got em? I'm about to DM a high level campaign (characters level 10) and i'm looking into building some interesting npc classes for my power-gaming type PCs. So far i've got a 6th level fighter/4th level lasher human, a 7th level fighter, 3rd level duelist human, a 6th level EX-paladin, 4th level blackguard human, and i still need 4-6 more npcs to make the plot fairly interesting. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Ranger with werewolf template?
    Deathknights?
    True necromancer?
    Fang of Lolth?

Can't think of any more at the moment.

3. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Are these NPCs for anything in particular (to advance plot, etc), are they window dressing to liven things up a little, or are they just foder for the PCs?

I can think of lots of ideas, but it's hard to say without knowing what they'll be used for..but I can throw a few ideas out...

High-level mage (simple but good - and I notice you don't have any real spell casters)

Evil priest and a few fighter/ fallen paladin guards

Any lycanthrope template would be good - or possibly a vampire template char

Monster races, such as an Ogre fighter, a Hill giant barbarian, etc.

Dragons just by themselves also make interesting NPCs....benefits of having intelligent monsters :)

Not sure if that really helped, but my advice would be to determine what the purpose of the NPCs are, and then build them around that. Have fun!

4. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Maybe a cunning demon, who doesn't show his real face, and want the characters doom with intrigue? Or a hideous vampire, both guilty and victim, who wnats to kill his/her evil master, or maybe just suck the blood out of the characters?

5. Black Rose Guest

Maybe a tribe of warlike orcs that are as intelligent as humans, and it shows in their tactics and cunning in battle. People underestimate them, and they crush all comers, with the smarts of a human and the strength of ten.. and they are led by some ultra-intelligent uber-ogre.

Anything involving dopplegangers is cool.

6. strange_machine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You want a challenge? Well there are some wicked templates in the magic of faerun book. Such as beholderkin, spectator, crossroads guardian, crypt spawn, the magister, scalamagdrion, and the kicker .... spectral mage!

The spectral mage is a kick in the knickers, and well who would want to dare face the magister!?!?!?

7. Lithorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] How about a derro savant that can speak to animals and has been cast out of the underdark. Let's say that he then has united the forest animals with the nearby gnoll and hobgoblin tribe. Also, he has convinced all the bandits in the region to side with his mini army.

Then, he could be preparing to sack village by village by village, until he has a force large enough to conquer his old tribe. That would be a hard one for the PC's to stop. :evil: You could also pack the savant with magical items and give him enough spells to impress an archmage. :grin:;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.