1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3E Monks

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Crawl, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

O.K., the PHB has gotten me interested in this class. They seem to be one of the more interesting classes, but I'd like to know how they stack up to the other classes and how they would best fit in a game from a usefullness standpoint (NOT an RP standpoint). They seem pretty good in combat, but just at first glance that's all they seem useful for in battle. How do they stack up to the other fighting classes in real play?

Also, if you had 32 points to spend on a monk, how would you create one as far as stats go (humans only please)?

2. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] I'm more or less a newbie at this but so far my understanding of the class is this:

The monk can't really compare to a fighter when it comes actual combat. Compared to other classes he can hold his own though. I would say that a monk is useful for at least two things:
    1. Scouting. Put some skill points in 'Hide', 'Move silently', 'Listen' and he can scout out enemy territory. His fighting skills makes it possible for him to get out of any problem he might find himself in as well. You might consider putting some points in 'Tumble' and 'Jump' as well.
    2. Fighting enemy wizards. His good saving throws and great mobility makes him particulary dangerous for wizards. Throw in a flurry of blows and you have a soon to be dead wizard. With his mobility the wizard won't even get far with 'Expeditious retreat'.

That said the monk is very versatile and you will have great fun playing one:)

3. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I DM a game with my brothers and one of them is playing a Monk. Now, they are still 1st level, and at the low levels, I must say that the monk leaves much to be desired. I can see that if they survive, they would be a force to reckon with.

4. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I rather like the monk class. The do very well agenst wizards and can stand up to everything save fighters and rageing barbarians. As far as stats in order of most important Wis, Dex, Con, Str, Int, Cha.
    The primary reason to keep wisdom above Dex is that when flat footed they retand their Wis bounus but not their Dex. Also because being flatfooted is a mager killer for monks IMO you should hve the improved initiatev feat.

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I fell that Monk is a great RP class but beyond that they have excellent abilities in the party. They can hold their own against almost any enemy. Maybe the heavily armored fighter and clerics have better ACs but the Monk out fights rangers, thieves, bard and druids. Their specail abilities begin to shift the difference as they progress in levels.

In one of the campaigns I play in we have a 5th level Monk in the party and he is one of the stronger member of the group. A excellent scout, fighter and spy. It is extremely valuable to have no weapons when sneaking around. The man without a sword is not a suspect when blades are being watched for.

In short a Monk rounds out a party nicely and is great to have around if they are no rogues in the group.

6. Shraz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am currently playing a level 4 monk and I find him to be a very good character. We have a hafling thief in our party with a 21 dex, but I still think the monk makes the better scout. I say this because his combat ability allows him to handle himself if he comes against a relatively weak enemy and his high speed means he can easily outrun anything he couldn't handle. Also his stunning fist can make a huge difference in combat if the opponent fails the save.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.