1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3rd edition multiclass question

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Lokken, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I've been wondering, is it possible to have a sorcerer and add levels of a wizard. From what I've read I haven't seen any problems, but just wondering if the different classes spellcasting abilities would just be seperated?

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Sure you could be a wizard/sorceser. Each class would have it's own spell progression and rules. You'd have to memorize your wizard spells but you could free cast your sorcerer spells.

3. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I am sure that this could be done, but Why? It would take much longer to attain the levels required to cast high level spells. It would make more sense to choode just one or the other. If you want another spellcasting class, go with cleric or druid. At least then you get access to more spell choices.

4. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I agree, it seems possible. From what I've read, I haven't seen any restrictions about not doing it. But I'm also not sure about doing so. Both classes spells are essentially the same list. And I wouldn't think their spell levels stack (ie a first level mage and a first level sorcerer would not have total levels of a 2nd level spellcaster, only that of 2 first level ones). And I believe the sorcerer, while not eligable for the bonus feats, can still use his feats to buy whatever metamagic feats he would want, the same as a wizard. I'm wondering why add the two together. If this is something you want to do, what do you have in mind and how would having both classes help your character?

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

My passion for magic and knowledge is to know everything, therefor the wizard. But the power to throw just about any spell you like without memorizing it, like the sorcerer, I think is cool.
    Like, I choose offensive spells (damage dealing) and defensive spells with the sorcerer. Then with the wizard I'd memorize more, mm... exotic spells like intelligence gathering spells, or other spells that I might only use once.

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited July 27, 2001).]

6. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I still think that this combination would be too limited as compared to having just one or the other. To give an example, Sortiarius is 10th level. As a wizard his spell casting ability would be:

0 level - 4
    1st level - 4
    2nd level - 4
    3rd level - 3
    4th level - 3
    5th level - 2

If we are instead multiclassed and trying to keep them balanced wee are 5th level in each
    giving us the following spells:

0 level - S:6 W:4
    1st level - S:4 W:3
    2nd level - S:2 W:2
    3rd level - S:0 W:1

This would also be modified by ability scores. Lets say we are using the standard point buy. If I max out the inteligence I would have stats like this:

STR: 10
    DEX: 10
    CON: 10
    INT: 18
    WIS: 10
    CHA: 9

By 10th level I would have had 2 Stat increases which would allow me to have an inteligence of 20 giving the character +5 spells per level.

If I wish to keep the multiclassed Wiz/Sor balanced in stats I can begin as follows:

STR: 9
    DEX: 10
    CON: 10
    INT: 16
    WIS: 10
    CHA: 15

With the same 2 stat increases, the character would have an Int of 17 and Cha of 16 giving +3/+2 bonus spells per level.

The by level spell comparison would be as follows:

0th level - W:9 W/S: 7/9
    1st level - W:9 W/S: 6/7
    2nd level - W:9 W/S: 5/5
    3rd level - W:8 W/S: 3/-
    4th level - W:8 W/S: -/-
    5th level - W:7 W/S: -/-

Similar results would be obtained if compared to a Sorcerer of 10th level.
    In addition, a this wizard would have +4 skills per level for the first 8 levels and +5 for 9th and 10th. Giving the Wizard a total of 88 skill points(101 if a human).
    The Wizard/Sorcerer would have 67(82 if a human).
    Overall I think that having either one or the other would be the best way to go.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited July 29, 2001).]

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Well I think Baldak about cover that. Any other questions?

I agree that I would play one or the other or mix in a divine caster. But to each their own.

8. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Yup that deffinatly covers how many spells you can cast. Also you must remember that if you learn a spell as a sorcerer you cand scribe that spell to your spell book. The reverce is also true if you scribe a spell to your spell book you cant use a sorcerer spell slot to cast it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.