1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3rd Edition Stat Generation

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Baldak Oakfist, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] I was wondering if anyone has had much experience in running a 3rd edition campain. In particular, I was wondering about the stats. With the 25 point buy system that is listed as an alternative to the 4d6 method, the average stat will end up being 12. This is not much lower than the 4d6 method, but it does not allow for the "good" roll. In 2nd edition there was more emphasis placed on the stats. In 3rd edition, will the characters be able to distinguish themselves as heroes with these somewhat mundane stats or does the new skill/feats abilities make the difference?

2. ayecapitan Guest

Well, 4d6 is your average BG roll which makes very different stats each time you roll. Point buy is (in my opinion) the best way to create a character, for all psrticipants of the campaign will have around similar stat value. You can create a unique character with any stats, but higher ones will of course augment your abilities.

3. Grigger Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I find that the Point alocation system offers slightly more contol over the type of character you want to be rather than the 4d6 system which, while offering the chance at stronger characters, can put your hero's background off track.

It could be said to be more realistic to use the 4d6 system as we can't decide our genes in the real world.

Other systems include: -

5d6 takeing away the lowest and higest rolls, giving a more balanced set of stats.

4d6, take away the lowest, but the order they are rolled is the order the come in. eg roll 1 is strength, roll 2 is dex etc. Most DMs will either allow you to swap two stats or re-roll one, or allow yoyu to do both.

Rolling 10d6 and applying the die scores to the a base of 8 in each stat offerd more random nature to the point alocation system. However the dice have to be added to the stats as a whole. EG a roll of 6,6,5,4,3,3,3,2,1,1. to get an eighteen the playey must use one 6 and the four or the 5 one 3 and a two. If he puts a six and the five together he loses the one over the top, it is not held in a pool.

Every system has it's merits and detrations. I'ts realy up to the type of campaign the DM wants to run.

4. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I personaly think point buy is a little low myself. I think a more fair number is 28 points. However, I've been using 32. Some may think that's just too high, but I disagree, especially when you consider multiclassing with importance on both classes. It's rather hard to make a human fighter/mage with only 25 points to spend I feel. 32 works well for me, but uses whatever you like.

5. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Ive been using the Charictor creator demo and checked the point buy number for a set of rolled stats I like. you wont belive the numbers. I had them allover 40. Can you say I'm a re-rereoller.

6. ayecapitan Guest

[​IMG] Crawl, indeed, F/M always was my hardest MC to get a great score on. In Rogue/Mage you'd need DEX&INT, others optional and the char works as charm. Cleric/Mage's even better - WIS&INT&CHA is all you need, who cares of physical? Fighter/Mage Needs STR, DEX, CON, INT as compulsory moderate-high scores, miss one physical and you will get a so-so fighter. There of course is a possibility of going ranged... Dont forget of recieving additional stst points as you progress. One can make 28 pt. buy scores look like 38 pt. buy at level.. hm... sixteen, if one puts scores according to wise calculations.

My note: To the nine hells with practicity, I make my chars as a person, not a perfectly engineered something... 28 pt. buy is just fine for a person :)

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I can understand the concept of the point system. My favorite system is GURPS where the entire character process is point based. This has proven to be a excellent generation method for many modern RPG systems. However, I think the rolling for stats in D&D is part of the fabric, the ethos if you would of the game. The system we used in our campaign was;

4d6, re-roll any '1s' and drop the lowest die. Arrange to taste, but only one set of rolls.

This has worked very well. This system will give you an average of 4 on each die plus you get to drop the lowest. Hence, you overall average roll is 13. It put a little more excitement into the game and has other the mathimatical chance of a good character and the chance of either a great or poor one. The rest is what you make of it via skills and feats.

8. AntiMagicMan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

As a DM I once ran a high level adventure, not part of any campaign, and let my characters choose there base stats, they all made characters with no stat below 16, suffice to say they found the adventure so easy it was dull and boring, now they always use 3D6 and stick with there first roll!!

9. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Remember that in 3rd edition you get a free increase to the stat of your choice every fourth level... So boost that int to 19 and cast some serious spells :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.