1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3rd edition

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Ktulu, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Ktulu Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

this isn't really the right forum for this but anyway.

3rd edition is, in my opinion, really cool, I think you should get it ;) and it isn't as confusing as 2nd edition. The new way of stat boni and no cap for stats are great, a dragon has truly become a dragon.

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 28, 2001).]

3. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

well i find 3DnD to be an excellent set of rules to play under. I played 2nd, and it was a nightmare (too much stuff to remember).

damn i wish they had put more 3e stuff in bg2...

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

When you start, I always advice playing 3rd edition, the rulez are more logic and clearer. Some things that wheren't easy to understand changed in a positive way.

5. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Not to mention the great handbooks! Very nice artwork!

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] 3E is best version of D&D I ever seen. I would highly suggest that you pick up a copy. The system has fixed a lot of issue over 2E and has great balance and improved gameplay. I is more logical rules wise and add more freedom than eariler editions.

In short Yes buy the 3E PHB and learn for yourself.

7. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I have to say...3ed has won me over!

I've been playing it in the #sorcerers_nwn chatroom for the past few weeks, and I really enjoy it! It's much easier than the older editions that I grew up playing. The only criticism I have is the generic nature of the classes now. And my stubborn crotchetiness about paladins being anything other than human...and using missile weapons! The horror! :eek:

I like the game engine a lot better now. I think the AC and other rolling stuff is much easier to understand, and the ability scores and feats are really cool. Again, I think the downfall are the lack of class restrictions though.

In the old game, there were pluses and minuses to playing other races and certain classes. And the classes were somewhat offset by the types of weapons each could use. I thought this helped the game in overall balance.

That's the one thing I've noticed in playing...all the classes are fairly powerful from the beginning.

8. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I have to agree with Sir Bel about paladins. Using bows? What the heck? It's also rather difficult to imagine any of the other races with the proper temperament of a paladin, though I admit exceptions exist; I just think non-human paladins would be rather rare.

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I also enjoyed the first 2 evenings playing 3rd edition. I really think it's easier to understand and some things change in a really positive way. Some things can still be changed though, a game is never perfect :)

10. Egglord Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

which races can become paladins in 3E?

11. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Any of them. There is no racial restriction for Paladins in 3E.

12. Vanadin Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

In my gaming group we have come up with a solution for the paladin problem Sir Belisarius posted. :)

Since the paladin is so different from the other classes anyway, we simply removed it and made it a prestige class only available to humans and aasimar.
    The other races can then have holy warriors that suit their believes better, we "simply" make a new prestige class for a holy crusader of the deity/race in question. This also opens up for evil deities to have their own crusaders, giving a solution to the much-discussed "anti-paladin problem" as well! :)

PS. Don't be mislead by the "simply" part, we are four regular DMs in my PnP group and we discuss these classes at length before introducing anything to the players...

13. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] This is a good idea. One my DMs did the same thing, made the Paladin a Prestige class that is. His belief was how many 1st level Paladin should there by. I mean is a God going to show favor to someone who gets their butt kicked by a goblin.

14. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, for RP purpouses, making the paladin class a prestige class is a good thing. I've never really felt a plaladin is really a first level class, though of course there are lowly squires in every Paladin order. However, just comparing it to other prestige classes, it should be condensed to make it worthwhile. What I mean to say is the Paladin, IMO, isn't one of the more exciting classes, and having to take it on top of other classes and still have the Paladin's level advancement isn't all that apealing to me. Perhaps make it fewer levels to take; it would make it pack more of a punch.

And as far as generic classes, how many times have we seen human paladins. I think a much less generic call would be capstone's favorite: a Dwarf wizard. 3rd edition's lack of class restrictions makes for much more interesting class possibilities IMO. Instead of making them generic, their lack of restrictions breathes new life into some old and boring classes. An evil halfing ranger? Yes please. The only one I'm not that big on is the Paladin, but then we've all seen ways to solve this already.

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited October 24, 2001).]

15. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I don't have a problem with other races having 'holy warriors', though the paladin isn't necessarily the best representation of what they would be like. Of course, paladins don't suit most gods as written. I'm also not a big fan of 'major benefits' that are of limited utility, like the paladin's warhorse. Its cool, but its generally useless.

I'm thinking of replacing the paladins in my sagas with something like the OA sohei. A little better suited to the setting.

Btw, does anyone know what they look like in 3e now that a new OA is out? I can pretty easily make one from the 1e version. Certainly not going to spend $30 for the new version just to find out. :)

Aloha
    Vormaerin

16. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Crawl, what was that about my favorite being a dwarven wizard?

/me looks at Crawl in puzzlement

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.