1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

+6 enchantments?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Lokken, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I've been wondering. Because there are +6 enchanted weapons in ToB, I wondered if this was possible following D&D rules?

I think I've heard mention of +5 being the limit. What is right and what is wrong?

[EDIT]
    Yeah, great! thanks! :)

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 06, 2001).]

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] According to the PnP rules a weapon may NOT have a bonus of greater than +5. A weapon may be a +5 weapon with other abilities that make it more powerful in other ways but the actual 'to hit' and 'to damage' bonus can only range from +1 to +5.

BG2:ToB must be fooling with the rules to create a +6 weapon. Check the 3rd edition DMG; magic item (Weapons) section for more info.

I hope that helps.

3. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] One thing to keep in mind is that the few +6 weapons there are in ToB are first a weapon of a lesser enchantment and are upgraded with rare items to get them to that +6 mark.

4. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Big B has made a good point there, and also remember that those items are unique specially made items. Kind of like artifacts are in a way. Also, in BG2 you need to earn them by finding the right peices for them, just like any DM could do in a game for the players. And also the rules aren't set in stone if it's you thats running it which is another thing, so it's up to the DM what is allowed and whats not, but for this thread i would say that BG2 has done this the right way, to get those lovely powerful weapons, you have to earn them, and it is a high level adventure in ToB, the enemies need something like that to hit them occasionally, just to remind them who the demi god is ;).

5. Sol'Kanar Guest

A. The DM's guide is just that:a guide.
    B. Some artifacts, like the sword of Kas, have a +6.

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

What is the sword of Kas?

and tell me a little about artifacts, I've read only little about them in the corebooks.

What are they actually?

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Just to clearify I was only speaking in generalities. The "normal" rules don't call for +6 items, this of course does not mean that a DM can't have them in their campaign. Vermillion makes a good point about 'how' one gets an item of this power. A long involved quest should be centeral to an relic or artifact. BG2:ToB does do this in the correct mannor thus I don't have any issue with the subject.

Lokken, what is an artifact or relic? They are extremely powerful, unique, magic or religous items. They are almost always plot centeral and should be hard for the party to obtain and use. Since they are so powerful usually they will have some lasting affect on the character tapping their power. Many were make for a certain purpose, killing a powerful being, protecting the land from invasion, etc.

8. Cullain Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Also, it does little good to point players to 3E books, since BG 1&2 were both based on modified 2E rules.

But it is a good point, the max enchantment is whatever the DM says it is.

Cullain

9. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Cullain, I was just referring to ToB as an example, but was interested whether or not such high levels enchantments would be allowed following normal 2e/3e rules.

bg games turned into weirder and weirder rule interpretations (at least I think so).

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 07, 2001).]

10. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Well, I don't have the 3E DMG, but if I remember correctly this is the Sword of Kas:

Long Sword +6
    Intelligent
    Vorpal
    Dancing
    Keen
    Unholy

It is unusable except by evil characters, and it seeks to avenge the death of its master, Kas, at the hands of Vecna the lich.

11. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

:eek: :eek: :eek:

What does Keen and Unholy mean? (any sort of boni?)

That sword rocks! Just what my evil dude needs

/me starts drooling

12. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

LOL. Good luck finding it in your campaign. It's a Major Artifact, after all. There's a story behind it, I believe, and that can be found in some topic (probably deleted, I don't know)

Unholy does extra damage against non-evil PCs/NPCs while Keen doubles the Critical Threat Range (making this sword's critical threat range 18-20). Yes, this sword kicks ass.

13. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Something like the sword of Kas is always good in a compaign i think, from a DM's point of view. A major relic can be the source of so many stories for the players, and often the entire point of a whole campaign.
    And further to my previous reply, although i pointed out the limit of a bonus on magical items is entirely up to the DM, more than +6, at most 7 if i was doing an especially powerful unique item, would be a little unbalancing. And i think my group would only ever get thier hands on it for one fight, the last in the campaign ;).

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Sword of Kas from info in the 3E DMG:

Kas was a vampire lieuteneant of Vecna, and the sword was created for Kas by Vecna. Kas betrayed and attacked Vecna with the sword and cut off his hand and eye before Vecna destroyed him (thus the artifacts of the Hand and Eye of Vecna).

The Sword of Kas is a +6 unholy keen vorpal longsword that grants a +10 bonus to strength, can cast the following spells once per day: Call Lightning (10d6), Blasphemy and Unhallow, and can cast Slay Living once per week.

Unholy means it deals an additional 2d6 damage against all good alignments and grants one negative level to any good aligned creature that attempts to wield it (the negative level applies only so long as it's wielded).

Keen doubles the threat range; for a longsword this means a threat range of 17-20.

Vorpal means it severs the opponent's head on a critical hit (and this means death for most creatures, but not all).

The problem with the Sword of Kas is it's Chaotic Evil with an ego of 34, which means it grants 3 negative levels to the wielder unless he's Chaotic Evil, and the wielder is almost guaranteed to be dominated by the sword (a Will save with a DC of 34 :eek: ).

15. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

That means if my Sorcerer were to wield that, he would only have to roll an 18 or better....is it worth the risk, folks? Hmph. Maybe after I take some Fighter levels and put a proficiency feat in Longswords.

[This message has been edited by AvaLance204 (edited September 08, 2001).]

16. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

I think you should worry about how you got your hands on this sword ;)

it doesn't seem like something that is just laying in the shopkeepers window with a pricetag

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 09, 2001).]

17. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

No joke please wait while we go up agenst a dracolich and buddies to try and get a weapon like that.

[Edit: spelling fixed]

[This message has been edited by kemanmaldea (edited September 09, 2001).]

18. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

Heh. Simple enough, with my 17th-level Psion friend. But oh well...

Back to the topic, there are quite a few weapons with +6 enchantments in D&D 3E from my (very short) experience with the system, though I don't see, if there is such an enchantment, why a Solar doesn't tote a +6 vorpal, dancing greatsword instead of a +5 :rolleyes:

19. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

being an evil sorcerer I wouldn't mind having a few rounds of protection from them with my absolute immunity :D

I might just whack them in those rounds, though, the gods themselves should have opportunity to kill me in an instant moment(if they can, muwhahahaha!!!) :p

20. Azirath Gems: 6/31

Well, the rules go up to +5, os technically that would be against the rules, though I have been in custom pnp campaign where the dm has bestowed +6 weapons to those he sees fit.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.