1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A country that does the right thing, finally.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Liriodelagua, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Liriodelagua Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Uhm sorry, I couldn't come up with a better title.
    Here's a link, but I suggest you seek your own, cause this one is very simple.
    http://et.tv.yahoo.com/music/13416/index.html

So, what do you think? Is it a step in the right direction? Is it inevitable?
    The fact that this very important person (or just famous, if you want) is doing it in the first place is a good example and a good motivation for those who in the future will want to do so. No more hidding in the closet, so to speak.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Elton John's wedding has been planned for years now. I'd say it's all fine, but in truth, it isn't. We all know what the next inevitable step is. In a few years, the countries that gave gay couples the privilege to marry will be pressured into allowing them to adopt children (where this hasn't already happened). And that's something I'm firmly against.

3. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I wouldn't be against gay couples adopting existing children, but if they were to conceive a kid with a host mother for that specific purpose, I'm not 100% sure. I'm leaning more towards "for", but not completely sure.

Gay marriages (as a legal issue) I'm all for. I can understand churches not accepting them, even though I don't like it. For a church wedding gays would need a different kind of a church, a new branch of christianity that probably wouldn't be accepted by christians.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Heh - this is going to be that Canadian gay marriage thread part 2, isn't it? :p

I'm very pro gay-marriage (not saying that churches should be forced to marry anyone as some people seem to fear), and am leaning for gay adoption (which is a total flip from the last thread...). If the child isn't old enough to understand, then maybe I'd be leaning against.

Well, there's always Quakers :)

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Some Christian churches already do that but if you ever see a Catholic or Orthodox priest (or deacon) performing one, he's a heretic.

I'm against gay marriage, especially when it's called marriage. I don't believe the society has any obligation to support the illusion of normalcy. Plus, we don't have any obligation to subject children to dangerous experiments so that people would feel better and reinforce their illusion of normalcy by having children in what isn't marriage. If such a "marriage" isn't supposed to bring children about, it doesn't need all the support, civil, social or financial, that the normal marriage receives.

Besides, gay unions have been performed already for some time now and it's not like it's called marriage in the UK, so the UK isn't first.

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I do not think that this is a step in either direction. As Tal pointed out this wedding has been planned for years, and was old news before it even happened (which is probably also the reason why the media hasn't made such a big a deal about it).

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, in many states it's possible to adopt a child if you're single, and they don't take the kid away from you if at some future point you get married. In theory a gay couple could adopt a child (granted only ONE of the members of the couple would be the legal guardian) and then they could get married. Obviously, I don't have a problem with either issue.

On the other hand, some states will only let married couples adopt. Since gay marriages are currently illegal in 49 out of the 50 states, states that only allow married couples to adopt effective prevent gays from adopting children.

Personally, I don't see how you could separate the two. Either gay marriage is OK, or it's not. If it's OK, then they should get all the rights of married couples. I can see how someone could be for BOTH gay marriage and adoption, or against BOTH gay marriage and adoption, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to be for one and against the other.

8. Liriodelagua Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The topic was not Elton's wedding, it was gay civil union (aka marriage) legalization. I posted that link cause it was a nice trigger, nothing more.
    There's also a project going on here in Argentina about gay unions (again, it's not marriage, it's "civil union"). This project plans to give rights and duties to homosexual couples. I'll mention some, to give you a better idea: pension if one of them dies, obligation to mantain kids (education, food, same as a hetero marriage); both must live in the same house unless specific circumstances; infidelity is no longer a cause of divorce while divorce may happen if one of the parts wants to do so; they're both included in social services; the right to adopt and some others I can't translate.
    The leaders of this project made it clear they don't want to call it "marriage"; because they think it's kinda flawed and it's closely related to churchs and because they think the society in general doesn't want it either. Now this is reasonable.
    Last, they claim children do not suffer if raised by homosexual couples. They said there're studies that prove this. The need to legalize comes from the actual situation were couples adopt kids as singles and they raise them as a couple, something that is allowed here in Argentina (there's this gap or hole in our laws, fancy that). Personally I'd like to see more of this studies. As a side note, there're plenty of cases in which children are raised terribly bad by heterosexual couples (because of misery or addiction problems or whatever) but that doesn't seem to be wrong either, cause no one mentions it.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why?

10. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I have to echo Barmy's question about why. the reason I ask is that I know gay couples that have brought children up when they have adopted them or one of the partners was in a 'straight' relationship before. On the whole I found their children had been brought to be more open-minded, responsible, well-balanced, respectful than most children of normal hetero couples. And they don't have gay tendencies just because their role models are, the same as straight people's children never become gay of course.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh man. We all know everyone's views on homosexuality and whether gay couples should adopt children. Do we really need to go over all that ground again?

If we do, then I will start chip in once again by saying that there are far worse things for someone to be than gay (like being a paedophile, or a murderer, or a terrorist, or a burglar, or a rapist) so let's worry about those things first.

12. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I applaud you HB there are more dangerous and heinous things than being homo- or heterosexual and should be looked at first.

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    Sorry Harbs, but I honestly can't think of a reason why gay people shouldn't be able to raise children. Are people worried that that will 'breed' more gay people? I'd say that's rubbish, sexuality isn't something that's taught into someone.
    I'd feel for the kid, he'd probably get mercilessly ripped to pieces by narrow-minded idiots, especially at school when young. But there's no reason why gay people can't be really good parents.
    I've met plenty of straight people who were nowhere near fit to be raising children.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Barmy, did you even read my post? I agree with you already, you clown.

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    I was apologizing for dragging the topic up when you moaned about it, not for anything else. Clown back atcha, boyo!

16. chevalier

Media:
    Barmy, I understand where you're coming from but I disagree. Children do learn sexual roles from parents and they have a lot of trouble indentifying with their gender if such a figure is lacking. It's enough if, let's say, a boy is raised without a father (which I was and I know the trouble resulting from there). Now if the same boy is faced with one daddy that goes for guys and another daddy who plays a woman, where is he supposed to get the pattern to follow and identify with? Of course, he can still learn it from elsewhere (neighbours, more distant family) or discover on his own (it hurts, really, I know what I'm talking about), but it's unfair to place such a burden on children so that gay people could feel better about themselves and their so called marriage. Besides, it doesn't take much to notice that the whole fight is not about the welfare of the children but about making homosexualism look normal and helping gay people create a comfortable illusion of normalcy. If they are adult, they should live with it and learn to cope with it, without expecting the society to bear the burden of helping them out of their psychological predicament and pretending everything is normal so that they would feel better. I am against discrimination in fields where sexual preferences are not relevant, but I'm also against anti-homophobia brainwash and all the gay friendly imperatives. I can talk with a gay person like two civilised adults but I don't want to take part in any sandbox games, pretending it's all okay. I don't want to bend the truth and reality to accommodate someone's self-comfort. I don't think children should be a part of it, either.

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    I don't think gays would just seek to 'feel better about themselves' by wanting to raise a child. It's just a natural thing to want a child to raise which doesn't go away from a person just because they're gay.
    I know what you mean about a man/woman relationship being a more stable place for a child to grow up. However, I don't think all kids need that around. He/she wouldn't necessarily look to have a mother and father figure in their gay 'parents', but rather just enjoy their love, protection and be raised properly with strong morals etc.
    So long as they both love the child and treat him/her well that's good for a child to grow up properly.
    Hope that makes sense, debating isn't my strong point!

18. chevalier

Media:
    I got morals, love and protection from mother, but I still had some problems with interacting with genders throughout all my life and had to discover many things on my own rather than take them as granted. It's all a part of what I am now, but I wouldn't really like it to be a standard thing for all kids. I can only imagine what if mother had had a female "spouse" in the house. I remember myself asking what "father" meant and I wouldn't like any child to have to ask about two daddies or two mummies. If a child doesn't have an ingrained understanding of what a father is in a social context (or perhaps any context), can he or she really escape the bad effects of having not just a missing parent but two parents of the same gender and mixed up gender roles?

Edit: Yes, I know you didn't mean that. What I was trying to say is that it's possible that a child could get love and protection from gay parents (I have doubts about love but it will take another post to explain -- essentially, it's about using children as validation tools), but that's not all. I had all those things from my mother, but I still didn't have a father figure in the house. I got the values, the morals, the information. But I didn't get a living example. It's not the same. And a bad, twisted example is worse than none. Children react differently, correct, so some won't be affected as much as others, but I don't think it will ever be harmless. People with a missing parent always have problems. So what about people who not only don't have a proper father but have two women who behave like mothers but only one really is? Or two fathers of whom one is real, and no mother? It's going to be even worse. I don't think it's fair to do that to children just because of gay rights.

[ December 22, 2005, 21:19: Message edited by: chevalier ]

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    Sorry chev, I didn't mean to suggest that you didn't get those things from your mother.
    As regards this, everyone and every child is different, so I guess the situation would affect different children in different ways.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Why?

I've explained at length in the previous thread on this subject a couple of months ago, so anyone can read it there if they want. But it's basically what chev has also posted here. I'm sure that for a minority of gays, raising children would actually be something that would come out of purely altruistic motives (or about as altruistic as regular couples adopting children are). But I'm convinced that for the majority having children would be something akin to us keeping pets - they're fun and nice to have around, make us feel better if we're lonely, are an exercise in responsibility since we need to take good care of them, and are something we couldn't produce on our own no matter what, so we need to "adopt" them. And it's all fine - primarily when you're talking about domesticated animals who can't survive without humans. But do we have any reason to keep pets other than selfish ones in the wide majority of cases? Nope.

Raising normal kids unfortunately requires a lot more than just putting food on their plate and taking them to the doctor's if they're ill. And chev's explained the gist of it very well. A gay relationship is by default a role-play and always only an imitation of a regular male/female relationship. That's a fact, no matter how you try to look past it. And unfortunately that's the core of the whole problem about them raising children. Lacking either a father or a mother figure when kids grow up is bad enough. But having two of the same, with one pretending to be the other in most cases is a recipe for disaster, or immense confusion in the child at best. Not to even mention all the emotional baggage and stigmatization most gay-adopted children will have to put up with for the entire childhood and teen years. And regardless of the fact that in a perfect society it wouldn't matter and wouldn't affect the children, in the one most of us live in, it will matter and will affect the children.

So if someone wants to use children as tools to better the world and lower discrimination against gays, you bet I have huge problems with that. Because it's just as dirty as the discrimination it's supposed to fight.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.