1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Lack of Focus (OoC)

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Aikanaro, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Something I would like to note: There seems to be a lack of focus in a lot of freeform forum games - like no one wants to give the game a place to but would rather see where the people are going to take it.

In my opinion, this is a Bad Idea. If the game has a focus on something - or something that is inevitably going to happen because the first post pretty much says so - then it avoids the whole cheesy 'Let's hang out in a taver and see what great adventure comes our way!' thing (and not just refering to Portson there...

The RP should have some direction from the start - at least a theme that is wants to cover - and should make it plain in the first post by what is laid out. Otherwise everyone is looking for a Something To Do, which turns lame, and if that the plot given at the start is not something that would interest a certain player, then they can avoid it from the beginning, rather than introduce an element that won't work with whatever plot is cooked up on short notice later.

For example: Had I known that Portson was going to take a drastic turn into the 'Bwahaha! Let's rebel and kill stuff!' kind of plotline, I would sure as hell not have used that character who is a total non-combatant sort. Indeed, I would probably have avoided the thread because it doesn't interest me.

So - to end this rant - give games a focus! Don't waffle about and hope something happens! Set something up to happen!

2. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I totally agree with Aik on this. A loose plot has to be in the head of the RP starter when they decide to begin a RP.

3. Steeze Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Even though i'm a part of the said game(Portson) and probaly contributed to it in some way, I agree also.

4. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well Aik you sure have a point :) . This walking around from tavern to tavern stuff will not be exiting for to long...

5. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I also agree with Aik, but I think that the problem isn't only the fact thta an initial plot doesn't exist. In fact I believe that the biggest blame falls on the backs of the players who don't take things seriously, don't care about the context because they haven't eaven read all the previous posts or the rules and think that this is just another random babble in a nicer format. I, myself, didn't have the pacience to read all the previous posts in Portson, which is the reason for which I never posted there. Not like Garak, who didn't eaven read the rules and started controling other's characters... :)

Players are to blame as much as the thread starter :duh:

6. Lantus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Aikanaro knows how i feel about the matter ;)

7. Steeze Gems: 10/31

But we don't, be a good boy and share your feelings. ;)

8. Lantus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

/me kills Terthy

9. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31

I believe this is Ooc, Lanty, not IC...

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I agree with this - but in a different way than you mean. As I see it - if the players make an effort with their characters to give them relationships with each other and thus a reason to be around each other - a perfectly good plot can form around that in the absense of anything else. And characters having a reason to be around/interact with each other will help any plot - avoiding cheesy 'Oooh, hello Mr Random Person. Let's go and do stuff together!' kind of thing.

11. Steeze Gems: 10/31

@Kelvon
    No, he really does want to I think

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I'll freely accept my share of the blame for what happened in the Portson RP. I shouldn't have proposed a course of action without having a more concrete idea about where it would go, and without more time to contribute. Mea culpa, and mille pardons.

13. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31

@Aik: you are so right!
    /me bows before Aik :)

@Terthy & Lanty: Is this an ausie fight???

14. Steeze Gems: 10/31

@Kelvon: might turn into one ;)

@Rally: I wouldn't worry, it was a better plot than any others that were going on at the time :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.