1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A little worried here...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Goli Ironhead, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

So, hello. I'm having a teeny bitsy problem with this computer here. Till last weekend, I had absolutely no problems at all. But now some small ones can be seen.
    First of all, my computer is fast, at least for most of the time. But if I keep it running, say, ten hours, it becomes incredibly slow and freezes for small times. Note that I have left it running for days before without much lower performance.
    Simultaneously, my firewall is reporting about these programs that want to access the internet from my computer. Now, this may very well point to a virus or somesuch.

The question itself is, all those programs wanting to connect are from C:bad:WINDOWS\temp. Does the temp mean "temporary" here? If so, can I just delete everything in that folder then?
    I'm guessing it might, but NO WAY I'm going to try my luck here.
    Cheers and thanks in advance.

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'd say you have a combination of spyware/adware/malware running in the background and slowing your system up. Have you considered going through your startup files through msconfig and seeing what you have running? Odds are there's some stuff in there that's adding processor and RAM overheads.

Also, for deleting your temp folder's files, you shouldn't have a problem deleting anything as most of the stuff stored there is your past browsing history files like cached web pages, your cookies, passwords and whatnot that you may have wanted stored.

So yeah, deleting that isn't going to have any serious consequences, just by itself. If you have some weird spyware, then however, I'm guessing its not going to be as simple as deleting the files. You might have to go in for some spyware removal software which should take care of it for you.

Cheers!

3. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Thanks, I'm going to see if it helps.
    And indeed, when it's slow, my processor usage (I think it's called that, can't say for sure since it's in finnish and I'm not the greatest expert in computer terms.) is 100%. But when I'm looking for the cause, it's explorer.exe that is taking all that space. Sometimes I've just pressed "cancel the process" and executed it again, and it seems to help a little. Also, rebooting helps for a while.

But now I'm going to empty the temp, and see if it does anything.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    *sigh* Some people just don't read sticky threads...

Kitrax’s guide to killing Adware, Spyware, and Viruses
    Go to the above link for a perscription to clean your computer of viruses and other malware. :thumb:

Also, since you said they're all coming from your Temp folder (stuff you don't really need), you can easily create a nifty way to clear out your entire Temp folder each time windows starts...it's easy too! :thumb:

Open up Notepad and tpye these two lines exactly as shown:
    rd %temp% /s /q

md %temp%

Save the file to the desktop and assign it the name: cleantemp.bat

To add the batch file to your Start menu's Startup submenu, drag it onto the Start button until the menu appears, hover atop All Programs (in XP) or Programs (in 2000) until that menu appears, and then drop it onto the Startup folder.
    It's that easy! Now, each time you lon on to Windows, the bat file instructs Windows to cleat out the Temp folder, which is great for removing nasty malware files...and saves space in general. :thumb: :rolling:

5. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Actually, yeah I did, thrice to be exact. When I then bothered to look, it indeed turned out to be some wares. Some adwares, that may show adverts, which is not that terrifying to me. And some spyware that could possibly see what I was doing, again not that terrifying since I don't do anything too private or secret here.
    But anyways, all that is removed and past now, properly even.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.