1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A new game experience

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Sydax, May 28, 2003.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] How much would it take to make a game a little bit different?
    Take Diablo 2 LoD; you play with several different kind of characters, ok, you can tell me is not an authentic RPG game, the things is no matter if you play with a druid or a warrior you do exactly the same, follow the same dialogs and you see the same final movie; it is too difficult to do a game where you can play to the final in, let’s say, three different ways? Let’s say, you play with the ranger in a way, get some quest related and get one particular final, movie included, if you play with a warrior, the same, what would it takes? an extra CD? let me tell you I’d pay for that.
    Let’s talk about BG or NW, ok, you get the expansions and mods, but, besides strongholds and that you get always the same dialogs and the final movie, I know it takes a lot of work to make a movie and a good story but… tell me, didn’t you get to the point where you play the “automatic” game?: dialog mode: press 1, 5, enter, 2, end of dialog, you already know the dialog and because of that you don’t even read again; you know where, when and what the enemy is up to do, etc. you are bad as devil you get a final, you are good as Mother Teresa you get the same ending, ok, you get those some changes but almost imperceptible, no matter what you fight Irenicus or Mellisan, why you can’t, let’s say, associate with them? How difficult is to make more randomized enemies and dialogs? what would it takes? 2 more cds? let me tell you I’d pay for that…
    Anyway, you probably are saying: “what he is talking about?” I’m talking about a game a little bit different, don’t get me wrong, BG, NW, Diablo, etc, are great games, hey, after all I’m stil playing all of them even after I finished them million times, it is just that I wish that some day I see a game where you can play it several times without knowing what’s next, you can’t tell me that with all the technology avaible can’t do a game where you get 5 or 6 different ways to play it and then someting that mixes those ways randomly, or am I wrong?
    You can say: will be too large, too complicated, I don’t know, you name it, but, can I dream about it?

2. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

There are games wich changes the levels every time you play it, even some very old ones (e.g. Diablo 1).
    I don't think that changing the end of a game has something to do with technologie. Btw, there are game with different endings, too( eg. Bg2 or PS:T ). But I completly understand, that there aren't many of them, it's a lot of work to do various endings, and this would also increases the time for making a game.

3. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

There was a very very early ASC][ game that was a dungeon that was different every time. I think it was called NetHack. That was at least 10 years ago (i'm pretty sure, probably longer) and that was different every time.

4. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Falloout is an excellent example of a game with multiple ending movies depending entirely on your actions in the game, though the final battles are the same.

5. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I belive that he wanted to say that even if Diablo 1 has randomized dungeons, it is still the same thing over and over again!

I belive that, allready mentioned, PS Torment is closest to your wishes. If you still haven't tried this one, try it! You can't (except by cheating) experience everything in one run.

If you want FPS, try Deus Ex, it has one ending (i think) but that game is the most nonlinear FPS i know. You really have freedom to do everything your way (you have one goal, but you decide how to accomplish it). I heard that 1st part of Red Faction gives good sense of freedom since you can "make your own way" through level (and i heard that 2nd part is worse since you cant blow everything up anymore), but i didn't try that one, so i cant speak from my experience.

And how about Starcraft? But then again, if you dont see difference between playing barbarian or playing sorc in Diablo (1 or 2), you wont see difference between "tactics" with human or zerg.

I belive it is much easier to make classic game and then sequel than make game that completly changes its "setup" after restarting!

6. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I don't know if any of you have ever played the game but here's a game that has multiple endings: Chrono Trigger. It's a very old game for the super nintendo, but it's great. I loverd it, it had everything: depth, good story, great characters and more...
    But I understand what Sydsax is saying and i have to agree, it would be a muhc better game and greater experience if the games were different every time you play ( ok, maybe not everytime but you know what i mean ;) )

7. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

There are actually 3 endings to Dues Ex and yes it is the best freeform FPS

8. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

:eek: Chrono Trigger has different endings !!
    You made me curiously, I have to check that :D

9. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Chrono Trigger has like 15 different endings. However some of them aren't much, but different credits or something like that. You'll have to abtain new game plus to even see most of the endings as some of them require high lvl characters eariler in the game. The best ending is accomplished when you fight Lavos in the beginning by taking the right teleport instead of the normal left at the fairground.

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yup, Chrono Trigger is a legend in the realm of games.

And btw. There's never been a Dues Ex. I know you'd like to have that, since I've seen that spelled a dozen times here. But it's Deus Ex, like it or not.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.