1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A new gaming rig, or a laptop?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, so I'm at a point where I need a new computer...but I can't decide if I should get a new laptop, or build my own rig.

Right now, I have
    Dell Inspiron 5150
    Intel P4 @3.06GHz
    1GB of RAM
    nVidia Go5200 (lame)
    100GB HDD

I used to swear by Dell's laptops...but now, my outlook on Dell has gone way down. While my current laptop has been very reliable, I'm just not so sure about Dell's current lineup. :skeptic:

I haven't had time lately to keep up with the current lineup of laptops from all the vendors...so any help would be appreciated.
    While I love having a laptop, I'd like to have something that's more upgradeable as well...so I might end up building my own gaming rig. But I've lived without an actual rig of my own for the past 3+ years, so I don't *really* need it.

I did some basic price searching and product comparisons, and for roughly the same price...I found a Dell laptop, and 'built' a custom rig off of newegg.

The rig I built:
    ABIT AW8D
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
    Corsair DDR2 800 (XMS2) 2GB
    ATI A-I-W X1900 (Don't try and talk me out of my AIW card. :p )
    2x Seagate 250GB in Raid 0
    Plextor 16x cd/dvd Burner
    Antec NeoHE 500W PSU
    19” Samsung LCD Monitor
    And a few other small goodies...like a case, laser mouse, and a keyboard.

The Dell E1505 laptop I built:
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
    2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ
    256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory
    160GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
    8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer
    Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ HD
    And a few extras, like an extra battery…

With everything said and done, both systems will cost just under $2000...but I still can't decide whether I want a faster rig or the portability of a laptop. :bad: :rolling:

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Get a new graphics card and a cheap laptop.

Portability is wonderful, but not when your very expensive laptop breaks. And your current system is able to run most games of the moment (except NWN2), so you might want to wait on the upgrade.

Especially if you're going to go with an AIW graphics card. For a media rig, maybe. For a gaming rig... please.

At least wait for ATI coming up with something new and powerful.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Buy something nice for your wife, or save for retirement :lol:

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Kitrax,
    that thing you're going to replace I just upgraded to this year. Looking at your system I don't quite see the point in upgrading. What about getting yourself a new graphics card instead?

If you insist anyway, follow Taza's advice. Get a cheap laptop, and have your gaming rig in a tower for good upgradability.

I have my tower for six years now, with a second motherboard and a second CPU, an Athlon XP 3600+ and since april iirc a GF 6600 GT. Performance is sufficient so far. I recently traded my old 17" CRT for a 19" Samsung LCD though. I take it slow.

5. Kitrax

Media:
    Ok, there are 2 clues that I guessed you guys missed...my current (and only) computer is a Dell laptop.

So I guess I could buy a nice, new video card...I just don't know where the hell I'm going to attach it. :bad:

I don't have the kind of money for a full on, hardcore gaming rig *and* a 'cheap' laptop. And I want an AIW card because the X1900 is still a very nice card, and yet packs in multi-media features. I'm not looking for the ultimate $1200 nVidia 8800 SLi set up. I just need something that can run M$ Vista (when I eventually decide to upgrade), NWN2, a few yet-to-be-released games, record TV and FM, and generally be a *hell* of a lot faster then my Go5200.

So yeah... :rolling:

[ December 13, 2006, 08:40: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Another thing is that laptop GFX cards have stripped features and offer little Direct Draw acceleration. On the other hand, consoles aren't really so cheap anymore. Guess you'll have to make a difficult choice.

7. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'd go for the desktop gaming rig. I've kinda found that laptops don't really make the best gaming rigs, and you probably won't be able to buy a laptop that is too much more powerful than what you have currently. The best (reasonably priced) graphics card from nVidia is probably the Go 7400, this is essentially a slightly more powerful version than the 7300. Which kinda puts it 2 generations above the 5200 in you're current set up. Likewise ATI's mobility 1400 is comparable to a souped up 1300 core which would put it 2 generations ahead of you're current rig. (you could go for a Go 7800, but they tend to only ship in insanely overpriced beasts with ferari or lamborgini logo's on them - well down here at least). This still wouldn't compare to a desktop costing 1/2 the price though.
    BTW - I'm guessing (based on their desktop equivalents) that the ATI 1400 and the nVidia 7400 are comparable - I might be way off, as there's not exactly comparable bechmarks for different chipsets.

As for upgrading you're graphics card - I think they're usually always onboard with laptops. I am yet to see a BenQ with an unscrewable panel over the graphics card and if other manufacturers are the same, then, even if they are seperate, they would still be damn hard to change without screwing everything up (not to mention voiding the warranty)

For the recording of TV bit, I think a desktop solution would be better suited for this because, with a laptop you would be restricted to a USB TV tuner. These are awesome in terms of portability and coolness factor, but tend to have (generally) poorer picture quality and reliability than the PCI variety. They also tend to take up several oh-so precious USB ports and cost a bit more than the PCI sort.

You already have the portability of a (pretty damn decent) laptop, so I would recommend a desktop. Just imho though.

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Get the rig and a cheap laptop...best of both worlds...

You know...the desktop rig I got is identical to yours except for the CPU (6600) and graphics card (X1300...saving up for the 8800 GTX! :) )

So no...I think you will be fine...just get one of those 8800 GTX's!

9. Kitrax

Media:
    So you want me you spend several hundreds of dollars on a 8800, plus the money for a power supply for it, *and* some sort of a PCIe to USB adapter?!?!

For the last time people! I can't upgrade the video card in my LAPTOP! :doh:

"Pretty damn decent" huh? It's over 3 years old...and to me it feels a bit slow. But I've been thinking that maybe a tower would be a better solution. If I clear off all the crap and protection software, and use it for everything *but* the internet, I figue it's performance could hold me over on the portability side of things for a little while.

The main problem I have with a rig, is that I *love* to go overboard. It always starts small, and ends up costing a lot. With me, after a few months of having the rig, it would be a nearly silent, overclocked, water cooled, modded, and custom painted wallet-draining monster. :p :rolling:

10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    So you have the chance to (a) buy a decent upgradeable tower with a decent graphics card and a decent CPU at the mid-performance level, (b) improve your character by resisting the temptation to spend more than you have :p and (c) use your existing laptop as the recommended 'cheap notebook'.
    The point 'I don't have money for both' is sort of moot. You don't need to spend money on the comp you already have.

Don't buy the most expensive stuff, the value loss will be sickening. Don't buy the cheapest stuff either - it'll too soon fall behind in performance.

11. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I've had pretty bad experiences with "gaming" laptops, on the whole. On top of laughable battery life, the heat generated by my current one proves a constant issue and I'm forever needing to hang the damn thing out the window to stop it shutting down. I'd say you'll unerringly get more for your money opting for a desktop rig--gaming on a laptop is never going to be great, and obviously you get less for your money on portable components.

12. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Yeah, what SimDing0 said - a laptop is never going to offer the same performance of a desktop and as such don't make the greatest gaming rigs. As such they tend to be used for other non-gpu intensive activities. Other than the gpu you have plenty of ram a huge (for a laptop) HDD and a pretty fast cpu. Imho a good desktop would complement the laptop nicely.

13. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Kit, when I sold computers, I was asked this question 5 times a day. My response was always the same: "Do you really need the portability?" If you anwered, "no" then get the better performance; if you answered "yes" then you will have to purchase a notebook (unless space is an issue).

Unless you are like my wife, who likes to lay in bed, watch tv, talk on her cell, and browse the internet at the same time. Some people... :rolleyes:

14. Kitrax

Media:
    Well...as of right now, I have a programming class...which you don't really learn anything unless you have a computer in front of you. As school progresses, I will only get more classes that a laptop will come in handy.
    Replace 'bed' with 'couch' and you've got my wife. :p

I've basically come to the decision that I need a gamming rig, and I'll use my current laptop for school and for my wife. If I clear out all the .iso files, encrypted drives, widgets, games, "must have" software, and pretty much everything except for my ISP and protection software, I think the laptop may still have some useable speed left in it.

Also, after taking a look at the video card chart at Tom's Hardware (the one BTA loves to link to), I think that the AIW card I've been wanting for so long wouldn't be worth it. :bad: So that leaves me without a TV/FM tuner. So far, I've been looking at cards that offer ATI's Theater 550 chip, but then I caught wind of ATI's new Theater 650 chip... As of right now, I don't know what path I should take for my TV/FM tuner needs. All I do know is that it *has* to be PCI Express 1x in interface. :rolling:

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why does it have to be PCIe x1? You won't have any PCI slots left with what you want or something?

I've got the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500 dual-tuner card and it works great for standard TV. The dual tuners come in handy for using my computer as a PVR. It has an FM tuner as well, but I can't comment on that since I haven't used it for radio.

Unfortunately it's PCI and not PCIe.

16. Kitrax

Media:
    Bingo.

All the motherboards I've been looking at only offer 1 regular PCI slot. One of the mobos I was really thinking about offered 2 PCI slots, but one of them will get blocked unless the videocard has a very low profile HSF, and is *not* SLI. :bad:

I'm already giving up on a snazzy Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi card for the mobo's onboard audio to save a PCI slot. Plus, I'm going to need a free PCI slot in a quarter or two. In my upcomming advanced AC devices class, they're going to be giving us a some PCI card that's used to program Basic Stamp 1/2 and other PICs...along with some other crap. :hmm: :rolling:

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Yeah, it's really unfortunate that the motherboard manufacturers are embracing PCIe more than the peripheral card manufacturers.

Reminds me of the optical drive manufacturers and SATA.

18. Kitrax

Media:
    Hell...Intel's new south bridge chip (the ICH8R) only allows one IDE/EIDE connection...which is fine if you only have two drives.

I'm still surprised to see FDD connections on the new mobos. It's only a matter of time until the good ol' PATA connecters disappear for good as well. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.