1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A new RP?

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by guildmaster, Jan 25, 2007.

1. guildmaster Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] If anyone is toying with the idea of starting and DMing a new RP I would like to encourage him/her to do so. My reason is selfish, I would like to try this thing out, but all the current games are so far advanced that it wouldn't make any sense for me, and perhaps other interested players, to join. :alien:

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I'd like to sign up for this as well, but this time I'd love a non-Epic one. Epic RPs are nice, in smaller quantities, but it's the mundane and down-to-earth that's the best.

3. guildmaster Gems: 2/31

Non-epic would be very cool, but I'm not picky. Anything will do.

4. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Yees, I'd be interested, for sure!

5. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Sign me up! What's the theme going to be?

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm always interested in a new RP even if I end up not joining it for one reason or another.

Not sure what a "mundane and down-to-earth" one would be like.

7. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

How about World War Two? I've been thinking of DMing something like that for awhile.

The setting would be a village in Vichy France (the part that the Germans didn't occupy, but ran the puppet government of), close to the border of German occupied France. So the official power would be Vichy government, though the real power would be the Germans.

Characters could include Vichy officials, Germans overseeing things, SS and Gestapo trying to catch Jews, Maquis (French resistance) geurillas, Soviet agents, OSS agents, tavern owners, farmers, whatever.

Might even assign certain groups missions, like blowing up an important train bridge, or helping downed allied bomber pilots escape.

Since it would be "real world", it's not epic. Any one could die from something as common as a bullet to a knife or car accident. But with guns and explosives, a small group of people could be very effective at destruction.

Anyone interested?

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I can think of a character I am qualified to portray in your possible RP, Scot. Just make sure there is a Church (RC natch) with a school in the village and I'll play.

9. Register Gems: 29/31

Scot, I'd love to play that, as I'm a WWII buff and have researched it for about 12 years now.

That mean, if anyone need info on weapons, equipment, and/or the setting, I would love to help out. :)

10. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Yeah! Been waiting ages for the WW2 rp. Put me down for an OSS Agent

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

That sounds great fun! If I can think up a character, I'm certainly in!

12. Register Gems: 29/31

I already got a character, based on a relative of mine that fought in the war. A Jewish Pole that fought as underground rebels.

13. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I think I'll be a RAF officer (British) who was shot down and joined the resistance.

One question: Are some of our characters going to kill each other? Are there going to be people playing as German soliders hunting the Resistance?

14. guildmaster Gems: 2/31

The WWII theme is great, I just watched Der Untergang, and am still under the impression. So, as I have never played something like this before, clue me in: how do we create the characters, are you going to use some game rules or is it freeform, etc.

15. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

"Are some of our characters going to kill each other? Are there going to be people playing as German soliders hunting the Resistance?"

Well, that's a distinct possibiltiy, especially if some characters are playing German or Vicchy officers, and the others are trying to blow things up.

Since it will probably start out early in the war, like 1940 or 1941, maybe at the start things could be less lethal. Maybe the Germans are still trying to show that they are not brutal thugs in this area, so people get taken in for questioning, but then maybe released if no hard evidence against them is found. Also, with 1940s era medicine, it is possible to take a bullet through the lung, get put out of a fight, and recover after a while in the hospital.

I'd imagine at first a while of sneaky plot building and subterfuge before pitched battles are fought. Is the tavern owner a collaborator? Or is he feeding info to the resistance? Or both? I also imagine a lot of private messages going on between factions, and secret codes broadcast over the BBC like this:

"War minister Oxenham has just finished a visit to the southern bases, and reports that their combat readiness is exemplary. The Spanish swallows are migrating to Morrocco, and the Queen ordered some Darjeeling tea. Goodnight."

Was that an order for the resistance to blow the bridge on Thursday night? Or just a bunch of jibberish?

One hurdle we have is that both sides would be able to read what the others have posted, so it will take some disciplined role playing, the Gestapo might show up for a midnight raid in the tavern's wine cellar, but shouldn't know that Mademoiselle Caillieret has a Luger hidden in her dress, that sort of thing.

16. Dalamar Maximus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I'd be a Gestapo, my grandfathers bothe fought in the war, but one was in Japan for the British and the other was a German officer. Oddly enough the German one was far more a gentleman and he was a nicer person. I will try to give the image that not all Germans are mean. He'll still do what is ordered but he may have some interanl conflicts. And will our characters be connected directly or indirectly, I'll try for indirect but it is hard to keep on doing something by yourself.

17. guildmaster Gems: 2/31

I am also interested in being one of the villains.

18. Dalamar Maximus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Well the Germans don't have to be the villians, they are just doing what they think is right, Hitler was a very good speaker and motivator. The germans arn't the villians, in a war like that there is no classic evil and good.

19. guildmaster Gems: 2/31

Yes, I know all that :) . But the people of occupied France are likely to think in black-white terms.

20. Scot

Any more people interested in being Germans? Dalamar could use some accomplices. Or if not, maybe Dalamar's character could be contacted by the resistance and turned to our side, or blackmailed to it, otherwise, it's going to be tough for Dalamar to rp it all by his lonesome.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.