1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Precursor of Impending Change

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, May 25, 2002.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What do you think? This idea has been floating around for some time now, but now that I've seen the NWN portraits in the toolset I've made up my mind. We'll be changing the whole avatars system for portaits, which will also finally solve the problem of having no avatars for females.

Final NWN where we'll draw portaits from will have over 200 of them, for all races and both genders.

I'm thinking of using these portraits instead of custom avatars only, I'll leave the regular beasties for other users without the custom portraits.

Well, bring on the comments. ;)

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Looks great Tal, and sounds like a good idea. :)

/me starts looking through the portraits in the toolset again. :D

3. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] BRILLIANT! Can't wait. I'm with you all the way with this one. Think of the jealosy! :evil: Gonna get myself a nice thief pic... :cool:

[This message has been edited by Z-Layrex (edited May 25, 2002).]

4. Im thinking this is a good idea, maybe i can get that cool Theif pic that Wildfire showed me..
    :rolling::spin::roll::xx::love:

5. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I like the old ones, because they're 3Dish, and unique among other message boards I've been to. Everyone has plain ol' pictures.

On the other hand, this shadow thief, while cute, is terribly unfeminine.
    Judging by yours, I think the new ones will look smoother with the blue background, too.

So, my answer to you is, do whatever you feel necessary. You're the man, Tal, and you give us these boards so I'll be happy either way.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well it's primarily because I've run out of any avatars any women would want to have... So a change is definitely necessary. Even with IWD2 there won't really be any more female avatars. So every time a female earns a custom avatar they aren't really happy with any on the list... At least if I start to use portraits there'll be enough for them to choose from.

If the NWN ones aren't enough we can always use the ones from BG, IWD etc. In the end there'll be so many that everyone will be able to choose one they really like.

Anyway, as I said, the portraits would only be for those people who already have custom avatars, and would replace custom avatars in the future. The regular users would still use the avatars they have now, that wouldn't change.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 26, 2002).]

7. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

I think, in my ignored opinion, that you should give an option of portrait or avatar. Again, that is my ignored opinion.

Edit: ORCO????? ORCO????? It is an EVIL WIZARD CONSTRUCT, FOOL! End Edit

[This message has been edited by Slith (edited May 28, 2002).]

8. Taluntain

Media:
    Well I was thinking about that too... I don't know, it'd be rather a mess in that case, don't you think?

Still, if enough people wanted it, we could do it that way. So if anyone else shares Slith's not-ignored opinion, post here.

9. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Hmmm... I started thinking of some fo the people here as their avatars - such huge change might bring disturbance to the force... If someone has grown attached to their particular avatar (like Slith here although I can't understand why he likes that Orco thing so much) why force them to change?

10. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

He's changin because they LOOK better. It'll mean that people with a portrait will stand out more and it'lll probably urge even more users to earn one. And also, i'd hate it if I was female and could only get an avatar of some big smelly male monster. The NWN portraits look outstanding and will add real colour to the boards.

11. Errol Gems: 23/31

Hmmm... I'm not sure about this.

If you think over to some message boards (Forgotten Wars for example), their posts are a mess! With so much writing,and pics etc etc!

If there are going to be Portraits instead of Avatars i would stronlgy suggest getting some unified portraits. Like the BG2 one's for example..they are all in the same media and all look vaguely similar. (not enough though)

I would not suggest allowing people to choose thier own Portraits, as it would look out-of-place in the boards. Though it would be nice to have your own fav piccy on there.

I wont like the change however, i've grown used to the avatar system. They're different from any other Boards system! Lte's be individual Tal!

Ive grown attached to avatars as well. When i think of Extremist i always come up with some big, shiny man who fixes everything.

Or Wildfire with a big axe.
    Or BTA with his funny little whirlwind thingy

And where would Ragusa be without his little Halfling Paladin!?!?

And Shralps avatar is just made for lovin'!

I could go on for ages about this but i'll let others have their say. I won't like the change (unless there are some really nice Gopher pics), but then again Tal, its your decision.

be nice with us...

12. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] You're not listening to the main argument - there aren't any for females.

And I didn't say I'd turn signatures on and turn the boards into a mess. Portraits would only replace the avatars which wouldn't add any "mess", obviously.

And yes, if we did go with portraits all of them would be from the games like BG, IWD, NWN and so on.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 26, 2002).]

13. Errol Gems: 23/31

Ah right. Well i suppose if all the portraits where coherent and stuff, then maybe it would work. I suppose the female issue is valid. What happens for Custom Avatars(portraits?) then Tal?

Where can i see some Neverwinter Nights portraits everyone is talking about.

Thanks for clearing me
    up on this one Tal....

14. ArchAngel Guest

If females can't get a custom avatar now, this change is for the better. I like the 3D though.

15. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Everyone who has a custom avatar now would be required to switch to a portrait of their choice. And NO, don't mail me now, it's not going to happen overnight, I'm too busy at this point to go changing yet.

When I decide to go through with it it'll be announced in Whatnots in a sticky.

16. Errol Gems: 23/31

Will there be Animal Avatars or will we only be able to choose from the standard races (Human, Elf, Halfling etc).

I suppose there will only be standard because of the portraits included in the games.
    I must agree with ArchAngel however regarding the 3D issue. I really like the Planescape Torment and BG2 avatars for their 3d-ness, this could apply to IWD and BG1 also, and won't portraits give it a definete 2D feel?

Ah but you have convinced me now my friends, that portraits are for the better (maybe).Very well then...Bring on the Pictures!

17. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Gopher please, there won't BE any more avatars! The one, i say again ONE, thing that's getting changed is the custom avatars. No more, no less. It'll be a simple potrait.

18. Errol Gems: 23/31

ahhh!
    /me finally understands
    :rolleyes::D:holy:

Thank's for clearing that up for me Z.

19. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Erm the only reservaion I have is that some people maybe won't WANT to change to a portrait because they really like their custom avatar. It doesn't really matter to me either way though...

20. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Well, it's not their choice to make is it.

[This message has been edited by Z-Layrex (edited May 26, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.