1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A RAM upgrade question

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Morgoroth, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Since Windows XP runs quite slowly and when playing certain games Windows starts complaining about the lack of memory capacity I have decided to do a RAM upgrade for my computer which is currently at 256MB. Now will 512MB of RAM be enough and further upgrade be excessive if I have a 64MB Geforce4 MX graphics card and AMD Athlon 1.2 Mhz processor which I have no intention of upgrading at this point?

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The first XP box I built ran 512MB of system memory, and it ran pretty well, not slow at all. After I upgraded to 1GB, I found that most everything ran smoother; games such as Half-Life 2 ran MUCH smoother. My advice: Go for the 1GB upgrade of memory if you are playing some of the newer games (or plan to in the future). Hint: I also unplugged the old 512MB, because with some dual-channel mainboards and chipsets, they may run slower with all the memory slots filled, rather than just filling the first two slots. But I'm not sure about single channel configuratoins....

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Huh...I never liked AMD to begin with, but you would see an awesome increase of speed and performance if you decided to upgrade to Intel's 5MHz 8088 processor...and if you upgraded to Intel's new Core 2 processor, you'd sh** yourself. :p :rolleyes:

Morgoth, I had a similar problem as you awhile back. My laptop came with 128MB of RAM and a 64MB video card. Windows ran slooooooow, so after a few months, I added a stick of 256MB, and it ran a bit faster...but then I got Battlefield 1942, and suddenly, things slowed down a bit. So a little while ago, I decided to get two 512MB sticks for a total of 1GB and enable dual channel mode. Now everything runs smoothly. I currently have MSN premium, Trillian IRC, WinAmp playing music, M$ Word, Photoshop CS2, µTorrent downloading 2 4GB torrents, my firewall, virus scanner, and spyware program all open or running, and my RAM monitor is showing that I still have 49% (about 500MB) free memory. :thumb:

Honestly, at this point, a dual 512MB (1GB) RAM upgrade is cheap enough, and with 1GB, you'll be good for a loooooong time. :thumb: :rolling:

[ August 28, 2006, 07:53: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.