1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A right teasebrainer...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    A plane is standing on a conveyor belt. Now, when the plane begins to move the conveyor belt also begins moving. However, this conveyor belt has a mechanism whereby it will match the speed of the plane exactly, but in the opposite direction.

Can the plane take off? :D

2. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

nope...no air current over the wings

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The wheels on an airplane have no power to them. The thrust from the engine will be sufficient to to move the bulk of the plane even with a conveyor moving the opposite direction. The wheels will be going twice as fast as they normally do at take off, but the resistance from that will not be enough to slow the plane appreciably.

Up, up and away.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, the wheels of a plane don't actually do anything useful other than stop the plane from scraping along the runway. You could phrase this question another way and say could the plane take off if it was sitting in slippery ice.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Heh, smart gits :) .
    Let's try this little one instead...

In a room of people selected at random, a poll is conducted to see if ANY TWO of them share a birthday (same day and month but not year). At what point does the probability that ANY TWO share a birthday exceed 50% (in other words, how many people must there be)?

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I guess: less than you would think. Maybe 30?

7. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I think it is lesser than Harbourboy's number. I think it is 20 ( seems very small to me but it is my answer)

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's actually 23.

The probability is 1 - P(no two people in the room have the same birthday).

If there are two people, the the probability that the second person doesn't have the same birthday as the first is 364/365 (there are 364 other days in the year that are not the same as the first person).

For three it's 364/365 * 363/365.

And so on.

At 23 people you reach the 50% mark that any two share the same birthday.

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    23, it is called the Birthday Paradox and it has something to do with cold winters or something ;) meh

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
  11. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hrmm.. I seem to recall reading about the birthday tests on soccer-fields.

11 players at both teams, and 1 referee. 23 altogether, and indeed, seemed it did match the theory ;)

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

When that came up in Finite Mathematics, the teacher asked if we thought 2 people in the room shared a birthday. Two guys that have the same birthday immediately threw their hands up and I looked around for the girl that shared a birthday with me, but she wasn't there...

13. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

My dad has the same birthday as me (plus 32 years).

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

My sister has the same b'day as me...and she's 9 years younger than me too...so does my uncle...and he's like 20 years older than me... :D

What are the odds of that??

15. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

My grandma and my auntie have the same birthday (6/6). When my aunti decided to have a baby she made damn sure that here daughter wouldn't have the same birthdate (number of the beast and all :) )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.