1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

About RPG Players

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Stephen Dedalus, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Stephen Dedalus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I live in Mexico ( I think I've written this in every post I've made)

I wanted to write this in spanish, because I'm not a high rated TOEFL student, but I've realized that english-speakers natives have problems with spanish. Some people from US told me that the big problem is the uses of verbs*.

Well, Because I think I won't be able to travel there, I want to know how many people play RPG games as BG or IWD, and how many people play RPG with paper and pencil.

In Mexico, is very rare to know someone who likes or plays RPG. I wanted to buy the AD&D books, but the only person who wanted to play it with me was my 12 year sister (She's really good playing Black Isle games, but she doesn't understand english, so I have to help her).

I think that RPG games are fun, interesting and challenging. I thought that Diablo 2 was a great RPG and a great game until I played Baldur's Gate.

In my country, RPG players are described as weirdos.

In the other hand, AD&D books are too expensive!. The player's handbook costs about 45 U.S. dollars. And the Black Isle Games are expensive and difficult to find. I only know one place where you can buy them original. And I paid 50 U.S. dollars**. (I have to sell some of my Tae Kwon Do equipment, but that's OK, I'm a very nice monk )

I will be very happy if someone answers this with a lot of information and examples.

*As I know, for example, In English I need to know three forms of a verb.
    know, knew and known.
    I can construct almost every sentence that I want. In spanish is quite different. You need to know how this verb is conjugated with every person. For example,
    Verb conocer = to know
    Conjugating
    Conozco, conoces, conoce, conocemos, conocen
    And it's similar in past and future
    Past
    Conocí, conociste, conoció,conocimos,conocieron
    Future
    Conoceré,conocerás,conocerá,conoceremos ...
    And there is not a clear rule for conjugating. And some verbs are very unsual, so no one is sure how its conjugation is. For example,
    placer = to please
    I think it is conjugated like
    plazco, places, place, placeremos...

**(Most of people earn about $350 US at month.)

2. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Urr, i'm not sure that this should be in Playground, and i'll reply when I can work out what the heck you are on about. :lol:

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Stephen Dedalus ... I can relate to the financial strain, its been a tough year north of the border too ... but not as hard as you've been through (from the way it sounds).

Most of the D&D rules are floating around on the internet. I've even heard rumors of people having .pdf files of entire books :eek: (don't ask for them here b/c that's illegal and we don't support that ... just reporting on a rumor I've heard) :jawdrop:

As for the games ... waiting stinks, but if you wait long enough, could you pick them up for less money off E-Bay or Amazon.com's used site?

Just thoughts.

Oh, on the conjugation thing ... English doesn't break down as easily as Spanish or most other languages. Sorry :( That's why Ben Franklin wanted the national language to be German!

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Stephen, have you heard of Open Gaming Foundation? It provides pretty much all the data you need for the D&D rules, spells, monsters, and items (magic and mundane). There is even a bit on psionics, but it's not really development.

Of course, Open Gaming Foundation won't be a good substitute for the official books, and there's a lot more information you get directly from the books, but I think that without them, that site is the second best thing.

5. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Im one of those lucky people who has most of the important AD&D books, and im a serious AD&D player, ive probably been into the game for about 6 years now, ever since my bro's best mate invited me to play it.

I sucked at first, then another of my brothers mates started DM'ing, and he was new to it as well, so I learnt from there. I now Dm for a small group of three players, though im trying to get a fourth.

Anyway, Im prattling. Yeah, im a RPG player of all levels, games p'n'p and everything like that. I have a moderate interest in acting (though im taking a hospitality and management course :hmm: )

Anyway. I managed to get the books (AD&D) for about £20, a regular bargain. I have two basic rule books, the DM guide, 2(?)skills and powers books, 2(?)thieves hand books, a book on the sea and boats, the monstrous manual and combat and tactics, not a bad deal.

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Pfoah! I bought 4 important books for quite a lot of money, and I dont play the P&P-style. And a friend of mine has a CD with almost anything available, almost for free.
    Piracy? Mwaoh...
    Seems he got that CD tolate or I would have saved a lot of money

There are not many people I know who would like to play D&D. But there are gaming-communities. They only play at saturdays.... I'm working then. :(
    I have to admit that there are quite some weirdos among them, though. They seem to be not from this planet sometimes.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    In Poland it's the same. I know only one DM here and he's good at just DMing (effectively close to freeform) and only a few potential players. Hahah, and the weirdo reputation also works here.

I'm not weird because of d&d (first heard of about 2ys ago). I've always been a paladin. :rolleyes:

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Wow.

Just wow.

I don't know if that was a first post, but for the Love of all that is Good and Wholey, that is a wikked post.

I'm just like, guessing here, and I'm not even sure why I'm posting my guess.

RPG players, in the States, are kind of freaks too. It's like a clique; and some areas have a much larger clique-base from which to pull.

My area doesn't, and it's on the fringes of the Bible Belt, so RPG'ers are shunned. So are a lot of other things like interracial marriages and buying condoms; basically, my area of the country is un-educated.

Other than that, I've never played pen n' paper D&D. I have some dice for it, but that's about it. Finding playmates probably isn't all that difficult in the States, as there are internet forums specifically setup to find people in your city. And there ARE some fairly extensive conventions; Magic: The Gathering, and Dungeons and Dragons are pretty common in Dallas and Houston convention centres.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.