1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

About to import

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by RAMBO, Oct 16, 2001.

1. RAMBO Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I just finsihed BG2 SoA any suggestions before I begin the new adventure. Lvl 17 Cavalier.

2. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Just curious to know how you're importing a SoA character into IWD because as far as i'm aware you can't. Do you have a special utility or something?

3. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Perhaps he clicked on the wrong forum?

4. jesper898 Guest

[​IMG] I think that the IWD char and the BG2 chars use different files,though i could be wrong

5. Thalantyr Guest

[​IMG] im pretty sure he missed up and put it on the wrong forum. He if didn't miss up i wanna know how to get my IWD chars inot BG2!

6. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

If you import a SoA character into ICewind dlae, it will very likely crash your game, because there are many differences between the two game.

7. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Alyr Arkhon is indeed correct in this. I actually tried with a BGII (SoA) character I exported. In BGII exported characters have 2 files..CHARNAME.CHR and CHARNAME.BIO. IWD uses CHARNAME.CHR and CHARNAME.RES. (Please forgive CAPS, but that's the filenames as is). Both the .BIO and .RES are basically a characters biography and can be opened, read and edited in Notepad. But renaming it this way will allow the character to show up on the import screen....but when you try to import it crashes the game. It was simply not meant to be. I think like someone suggested previously, the only real way to do it is to export portraits and voice sets as appropriate, then use Dale Keeper or Shadow Keeper (depending on which way you want to go). Having said that, even just when you begin SoA you start at like level 7...if I could get my level 28 mage with a staff of the magi into the beginning of IWD it would be a tad obscene methinks! ;) Useing the keeper isn't authentic I suppose, but at the end of the day, if you don't change things the end effect is the same. :)

8. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Great, but why would anyone import a BGII character into Icewind dale?

9. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I wouldn't mind bringing my character from BG1 & BG2 into IWD, just because I put a lot of effort into building him. I guess I'm sort of attached.

However, I read some on someone elses post that the reason that you can't has to do with the time frame of events between the two games. It's in a previous post somewhere that Tal responded to. I hope this gives the original "poster" a short explanation.

10. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I think there are too many incompatabilities as well. For example by the end of BGII: ToB, characters have so many high level spells and abilities, not to mention weapons they had when you exported them.
    Half the icons and effects and other little things simply don't exist in Icewind Dale...and after playing it myself I can't imagine a level 29 mage beginning icewind dale...it would be a tad obscene...as attached as I am to him! ;)

11. Drur Gems: 1/31

"I read some on someone elses post that the reason that you can't has to do with the time frame of events between the two games."

That's correct. It says somewhere in the book the time the events happen. IWD occurs I believe 87 years before BG.

A little off topic, but is it just me or is Kuldahar the coolest looking town in either BG series or IWD? I swear, that would be such a cool place to live.

12. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Mmmm, I don´t think i would wanna live in such a boring town as Kuldahar. And is town not a little too big a name for three houses, a smithy, a temple, an inn and a stuck ship.
    Thanx, but no thanx, I´d rather live in Athkathla, the Government section. The house of the Delwyns looks pretty appealing....

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

RAMBO: You can import your character into IwD just fine. But you'll have to do it the old fashioned way: manually.

Download Dalekeeper, and set him/her/them up. Level, experience, attributes, resistances. You'll probably have to find suitable 'replacements' for the armour and weapons.

Then start beating things down...

[RAMBO posted this 3 months ago and hasn't been back since. Check post date next time before you reply.] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited January 16, 2002).]

14. Drur Gems: 1/31

I don't know about that. I don't think it's that bad. I'm sure the town itself is bigger when you get to the otherside of the tree. I don't know, maybe it's just because it's secluded that I have a fondness for it.

Although, I must commend you on your choice. Athkatla would be a pretty cool place to live. If I had to choose a place in Athkatla it'd be that huge mansion in the docks district. I can't remember the name of the family who owns it. All I remember is that it belongs to the merchant that Anomen's father wants you to kill after Anomen learns that his sister was murdered.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.