1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Absolutely Heinous....

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Chandos the Red, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    This is just stunning AND heinous:

Where do these crazy dumbasses come from? They should all hang. :flaming:

http://wjz.com/local/cult.baby.charges.2.1646854.html

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  2. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    Oh... my... Gawd!

This lady starves her own child to death, admits to it, and these others follow along when "Queen Antoinette" tells them to not feed the child due to the fact he didn't say Amen during a mealtime prayer, and the mother gets 5 years probation?!?! I'd love to know what the judge was smoking when he/she/it decided the mother's sentence. The child was 16 months old - how in the hell is he supposed to know that he's supposed to say "Amen" after a prayer? I didn't even know what a prayer was at that age. So what if they think the cult "brainwashed" her - I'm not going to practice compassion towards those who kill a child, no matter what their reasoning is. Brainwashed or no, she admitted to starving her child to death and then the codicil is added to her plea agreement that if her son is resurrected, the plea will be withdrawn. What the frack were these people on? An innocent 16 month old boy is dead and so far no one has really been punished. I don't see going to a Christian based care facility as a punishment. It was her choice to join the cult, it was her idiocy in following their demands, and in following those demands, she kills her child. She should be charged with murder along with the others! I agree with you Chandos, they should all be hanged!

3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hanging's too good for them. They should be put in a locked room with a load of other parents who all know what they did

4. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    My guess is the DA cut a deal with these people to testify against the leader of the cult. Still, that's one hell of a bargain. Deal with the devil much?

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I don't think the end result would be different, and you'd save wear and tear on a perfectly good hemp rope. Good idea, Silvery.

My opinions on these people cannot be expressed without violating SP's language rules several times. Will they be letting Charles Manson out on parole next?

6. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm not inclined to think that the deal is any better than the rest of you, but I wonder if she was given the deal for more complicated reasons. This was a cult, and cults are scary. Cult members believe some really crazy things, and failure to toe the line in a cult often has very serious consequences. What if there was evidence that the mother was forced to go along with the will of the cult leader? What if there was evidence of legal insanity, meaning that she really didn't know that listening to her cult leader was wrong? It's entirely possible that the prosecutor was just taking what he could get. Before I judge the circumstances any further, I want to hear what the prosecutor has to say about it.

7. CelticDream

Media:
    Drew - I think in that article they did have comments by the DA in regards to her sentencing. I could be wrong, but I'm too tired to click on the link and scan through the article to figure out who said what.

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Well, cults aren't known for recruiting from the healthy, stable, and productive members of society...

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I've heard some incredibly crazy stories about cults, or "sects" as they are known here... Let's just say this word had a very negative connotation in the 90s, for good reasons. I think there might have been some cases that could easily outdo that.

Still, probation... ugh. She obviously wasn't acting like any sane parent would, I'm surprised she wasn't institutionalized. I hope she is, or at least soon will be lucid enough to fully realize what she did, and what those sickos did to her. And as for this "Antoinette..." I hope she gets what she has coming to her, too. That baby's death is her fault as much as anyone else's, and if she gets a few decades she will have deserved every second of it.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The problem is that one man's cult is another man's religion. I'm not bringing this up to take a dig at religion, or your religion in particular, NOG. I'm just saying a lot of people in these "cults" don't view themselves as cult members. They just view themselves as following a different religion.

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The difference between a cult and a religion is that a religion has more followers.

:p

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    But that's a tricky definition too (and yes, I realize that like most of your comments, there was sarcasm involved). Where's the cutoff? And since all religions start off small, and what point does a cult transition to a religion? Were Christians in the first century AD cultists (at least by the standards of that time)? Is it hypocritical to classify anyone who follows a religion practiced by a small group of people a cult, as it may eventually grow (not that I think the one these people belonged to necessarily would).

CelticDream likes this.
  13. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I think the larger issue is the brainwashing bit, whether it's mixed with religion or not. Through systematic conditioning, it is entirely possible to get people to do really crazy things. Think Charles Manson and his gang, or Jim Jones and the coolaid people.

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ... and yet those examples were mixed with religion.

Everyone's religion is cult to someone.

15. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Was The Family religious? I thought they were just into The Beatles.

I guess the point is, religion + brainwashing = bad, non-religion + brainwashing = bad, religion + no brainwashing = not bad, non-religion + no brainwashing = not bad. In other words, brainwashing = bad, whether you are the Latter Day Church of Brainwashing or The People's Republic of Brainwashing. ;)

16. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I remember a couple of years ago there was a documentry on TV about the 'End of the World' cult. The guy who created it said he had figured out when the end was due and a load of people went to live in his commune. His son and daughter-in-law were there too and the guy slept with his daughter-in-law because it was Gods will. It was also Gods will that she and his son never have kids. You could tell the son was devastated but was in so far over his head, he didn't know how to escape.

The documentry makers were kicked out when the world was supposed to end and once the time had passed, a spokesman for the cult came up to them and said that this was just a practise or something and the world was actually going to end on a different date.

Those people are probably still waiting and wasting their lives

17. CelticDream

Media:
    Waco is another wonderful example of how horrific cults can be. I was young when that happened and I still remember bits and pieces of it.

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    All religions are cults and rely to a lesser or greater degree on brainwashing (and I guess it can be argued that any kind of indoctrination does). I find it amusing to see the big cults damn small cults for doing the same things they do.

19. Silvery

Media:
    I see your point. However, the 'big cults' eg Christianity believe in the sanctity of life. A true Christian wouldn't let their child die of starvation because they were told to. Free-will also plays a part and people wouldn't be forced to stay where they don't want to

(Sorry if I'm not making sense, pre-coffee posting!)

20. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    I'm not so sure about that, Silvery. Remember, the first Patriarch of the Jews, Abraham, was willing to sacrifice his son at God's command. And he's praised for it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.