1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Accents

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Gaear, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    @Sil, is it really true that people only ten miles apart from each other speak with distinctly different accents over there? I'm aware of regional differences here, but they tend to be very subtle and usually separated by something closer to ~ 50 miles. (I'm not talking about things like southern accents vs. northeastern accents here, but rather subsets of them - e.g. a person from a the west end of a dense population center in the south may speak with southern accent A, while 50 miles away his buddy on the east side speaks with southern accent A with an extra dash of twang.)

p.s. - sorry if this is more OT ... for some reason I thought I was in a different thread. (And I'm even sober, lol.)

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Before Tal blows his top I thought I'd start a new thread!

Gaear asked:
    @Sil, is it really true that people only ten miles apart from each other speak with distinctly different accents over there? I'm aware of regional differences here, but they tend to be very subtle and usually separated by something closer to ~ 50 miles. (I'm not talking about things like southern accents vs. northeastern accents here, but rather subsets of them - e.g. a person from a the west end of a dense population center in the south may speak with southern accent A, while 50 miles away his buddy on the east side speaks with southern accent A with an extra dash of twang.)

Here in the North-East it is pretty noticable but more so if you're from round here. Part of the reason is that this was a landing point for many invasions from Europe. A lot of the area was populated by isolated tribes as well who developed their own language and dialect.

Plus there is a big football rivalry...you call a geordie a maccam while you're wearing a boro strip and you'll be looking for your teeth! :lol:

Surely the NE of England cannot be the only place like this?

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yep, very true. The English have the most diverse accents per size of the country than any other country as far as I'm concerned.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I live in Derbyshire. Right on the edge, really, not far from Yorkshire. I can nip out in the car for a short while, talk to someone and find a different accent. People from Barnsley, Rotherham, Leeds, Manchester etc all talk different. Even Sheffield, which is literally 5 minutes up the road, talk differently. It's bloody weird. In the job that I do, I talk to people allover the country and the amount of different accents you come across is unreal. I've been doing it for 5+ years now, so I've kind of become accustomed to them all, but when you get someone from the South West, say Cornwall way, and someone from the North East, you're going to have communication problems!!

As for my accent... maybe only Silvery will be able to read this and understand, but it's something like so...

'Orate flower, ah's tha gerrin duck, orate? A we guin dahn t'pub later on yoff? Am dyin to blow t'froff off a couple, been rushin' rahnd like a blue arsed fly the day! Anyroad, get thee sen dahn for abaht 8. Sahnd?'

Translated for everyone else: Hello friend, how are you, are you OK? Would you like to accompany me to the local bar tonight? I have had a busy day and would dearly like a few glasses of beer to cheer me up. I'll meet you down there at 8pm, is that ok?

One thing that is noticeable with England is, the further North you go, the more severe people can sound, but they are really not. For example, you can see 2 good mates in a pub up North talking to each, and could be forgiven for thinking they are going to start fighting any minute. They won't though, it's just how they talk. People down South tend to do more worried about upsetting people, and leave a lot unsaid. Northerners tend to just blurt out whatever is on their mind.

5. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Tha's fine by me lad. Ah divvn't see wee ye worry't yesen ont translation. Av ganna gan oot nee so's al spek thee lates whan ah gey yam :D

(No problem buddy. I don't see the need to translate that. I've got to go out now so I'll speak to you later when I get home)

See? Simple!

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I can hear distinct dialects just by driving 20 minutes in any direction. If I drive an hour it would be easy for a non-native speaker to pick them out.

I think the US is almost unique in having such a homogenous language. There are differences but considering the size and population they are tiny.

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Australia is similar in that regard, had three aussie students in my high school all from different regions and you wouldn't know it to listen to them. They also described it themselves as they thought it was so strange that even people in the same class sounded very different - and this is the South which is generally considered to be more homogeneous in regards to accent.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think you're all biased towards your local regions. The people who live somewhere can always tell the difference between people who don't. I can tell someone from Southland in New Zealand vs someone from Hamilton.

And in USA, you can easily tell someone from Queens vs someone from Long Island and that's just within one city, New York.

I bet the same applies in France and Spain and Italy as well.

9. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Same pretty much over here. If drive 40 kilometers from my hometown to Amsterdam, I can hear people talking with a different accent. If I drive another 60 kilometers from Amsterdam to The Hague I can hear another different accent. If I drive another 25 kilometers to Rotterdam, I can hear another totally different accent again. It goes on like that for a while.

Actually if I walk for 10 minutes from where I live I can start hearing a change in accent, but that's probably because I've lived in this area all my life and it's pretty much on a division line.

As for the homogeneity of the American language: I heard that people from New Orleans can tell by the accent of another New Orleanean what quarter they are from.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.