1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Advice on Broadband

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Carcaroth, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

We're looking at getting Broadband in the new year, mainly so Emma can work from home more often. The main reason for getting it is so she can download documents off her server a lot faster, it will not be used for downloading films, and unlikely for downloading music. (We don't have time for films)

First Question:
    What speed connection would people recommend for the use we're actually going to be using it for.

Second Question:
    For the Brits, who do you recommend as a service provider and why?

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    For question 1, you probably wont need more than the 600k connection, Since you wont be downloading lasrge files (1 gig) etc.

As for providers. I've only used two. ntl were great. excellent price, great service, and no limit on usage. The only problem is that since it is cable, not everywhere is covered. When I moved here, ntl didnt cover the area.

No.2 is BT. these guys do it through your phoneline, so you are much more likely to get coverage. However they dont come even close to being as good as ntl. BT broadband costs more, and you have a cap on usage. After 1 gig (Which I never reach) you get charged for the amount you use. Whilst you may not find that a problem, the principle still sucks. Also, service just doesnt feel as good.

If I could get ntl here, BT would take a hike so fast your head would be spinning. ;)

3. Carcaroth

Cheers Takara,
    I can get a 750k connection from NTL for £24.99 a month. (Half price for the first three months).

Same price from BT for a 512k connection with 15GB montly allowance. I wouldn't bet on not being more than 1GB with some of the documents.

NTL looks like a winner so far.

4. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I've been with NTL for 5 months now, only ever lost the connection for about an hour due to maintenance, if your lucky, the fitting and connection should go without a glitch, but I have to say if it doesn't you will go through an extreemly harsh series of phonecalls with their call centre... 40 mins on hold aint funny, I've got a 1.5 connection... oh yeah, it is, I love it, no limits, havent brought or rented any music, movies or games in ages! :banana:

5. Carcaroth

Having finally got to speak to someone at NTL, I've realised I really don't want them digging up the front drive in order to be able to use their system.
    Looks like I've got to go via the phone line.

Seems to leave me with AOL, BT, One-tel, Tiscali and Wanadoo as the main contenders. Any thoughts? I've only ever heard bad things about AOL.

6. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Big no to AOL. BT is what I'm with. Pretty crap, but not especially evil. Wannadoo suck imo. Dont really know much on the others

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.