1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Against Democracy and Equality. Tomislav Sunic

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Svyatoslav, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

http://foster.20megsfree.com/353.htm

2. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

It's refreshing when someone actually rejects conspiracy theories. The magic words are there though:
    The big buck theology is often credited to rightwing, really. Profits, growth, the rich getting richer and poor getting poorer, making budjet cuts to public healthcare and education, tax reductions, that sort of thing.

Quota systems...the idea is kind of noble, but sometimes it does result in the best not getting hired, and therefore it's flawed.

Multiculturalism destroying all values and all cultures...some aspects of culture, probably, but values - I don't think so.

3. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Susi,

Just for the record, read the whole interview - in case you did not. It is pretty interesting and it covers different subjects, like the Jugoslavian breakup.

4. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Interesting stuff it is. On the subject of Jugoslavia I don't have enough knowledge to comment much, but I find it interesting that he doesn't demonize any one side like many do.

This bit caught my eye somewhat. Even though I don't agree with everything he says, he does seem an intelligent fellow.

5. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I can sympathise with this (which isn't to say I agree entirely). I had to fail more than one student who substituted ideological rantings for actual analysis and argument in their work. Critical thought is great, and I believe it requires familiarity with conservative, liberal and radical strands of thought. It isn't the exclusive territory of anyone.

I wouldn't call it leftist brainwashing, but there is undeniably a bias, at least in the social sciences. I got branded as a fascist more than once in my time at university, and I'm sure most would consider me a centrist or even a leftist. Leftist paradigms have traditionally been critical, whereas conservatism (almost by default) tends to be less self-reflexive. The problem - as always - tends to happen when people focus on their chosen paradigm at the exclusion of all others (or at least, all opposing ones).

Thanks for the link, Svy - will have to read the whole thing, now.

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

After reading the interview I can say that his analysis of the situation in former juogslavia is correct, as far as I know.

But I have a big problem with him being a disciple of Carl Schmitt. Schmitt was definitly not a mere conservative, he was anti-democratic and supported the nazi-regime in Germany, until the nazis started to shun him.

Sunic speaks out against a leftist dogmatic bias in 'higher education' (which partly exists). But judging by his choice of words, he wants to substitute it with 'rightist brainwashing'.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.