1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

AKKKK...got my new Morrowind/ PC and I cant make it run!

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Dice, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] All my spec equal or excell those on the package except I'm not sure if a CMI 8738/C3DX PCI Audio is an actual audio card or not.

I have 368RAM
    Intel Cel 1Ghz
    Lots of hardrive space to install
    NVidia 4

And I think I have all the recent drivers for them.

I have already set my Audio Playback hardware acceleration to "none" as recommended.

The installation seemed to go fine (I reinstalled and uninstalled several times to make sure) The problem I am having is that when the introduction plays the voices and sounds keep skipping and stuttering and when it is just about to go into the game my whole computer freezes up and I have to cold-boot the thing. I've been struggling to get this game to work all day today and part of yesterday. Is there anyone who has any ideas to help me.

By the way, I know the game works because my husband installed it on his computer and it worked fine...ARRRRRGGGG

Please help me,I know there are a lot of smart people on this forum :( Thanks

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Sounds like a Crystal audio chipset. On-board audio. Crystal has put out some generic PCI cards, but unless you know differently, I'm going to guess OB.

Yeah, you'll want to be checking for updated drivers on that one.

I forget about Morrowind. I'd guess it's Directx8. That Geforce4 should work ok at 1024x768, if you leave the AA and Ansio off. That 1ghz Celery will be hard pressed on that particular game, so don't be trying to convert video in the background.

To be real honest with you, it's probably going to boil down to two things. One, a "clean" install of whatever Operating System you're using. Two, a new/different sound card.

3. Dice

Media:
    I discovered that my "sound card" is actually a sound chip. I think I'm trying to build battalions with matchsticks here.

I tried to lower the resolution, uninstall and reinstall my nvidia driver and even update the driver for my soundchip (yes, crystal media) Seems to me that it is a matter of getting a new sound card.

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

My sound chip works fine...

1. Upgrade DirectX. (9.0b IIRC)
    2. Set resolution to 800x600
    3. Disable mp3 playing
    3. Download the morrowind tweaking FAQ from GameFaqs

But if i have the following machine:
    Pentium 4 1,6Ghz processor
    512mb sdram
    8G free hard drive space
    GeForce 4 MX440 64mb
    And it still runs choppy...

:(

5. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Taza, I believe there is a program developed by a third party which you can download for free from some fan/mod-making sites.

It is called mw_fps_opt, or Morrowind FPS Optimizer, it will let you change many options (not only the FPS :) ), and also has some special features for the Nvidia cards. I highly reccomend downloading this, as not only will your refresh rate and performance be dramatically improved, but you can do other cool things, like making the view-distance scale according to the available resources (even up to 5x I think when it runs smooth enough), and playing mp3's in the background, and pre-setting it to automatically adjust your specific settings (like gamma, view-distance, max refresh rate, etc) depending on where you are and what you're doing.

I hope this helps, I think you can download it from Morrowind Summit or Morrowind Files but it has been a while since I''ve been to either site. MW Summit should have links to others if the file isn't there, you may also want to try Euro Morrowind. Good Luck.

6. Taza

I know the FPS optimizer...
    It generates FPS in the cost of view distance... So playing with it and with those specs would be like travelling in very deep fog.

Not going to help Dragonfly yet.

7. Dice

Media:
    Taza, you mentioned upgrading to DirectX9 but I did that quite a few months ago. I was wondering if maybe there was a problem with it at that time so I was thinking of reformating my computer so I could get back direct x 8. Is there any chance there could be something wrong with my direct x 9?

8. Taza

You could try reinstalling DirectX... It should fix trouble with your DirectX... But i think that the problem is that Morrowind is incredibly big and takes a LOT of power.

9. Dice

Media:
    My husband has the same Ram as me, a lesser quality video card and no sound card and it actually runs on his....I think it might be the direct X but I heard that you can't uninstall dirX9. I got an uninstaller but it takes me into bios and I'm not sure what to do with it.

10. Taza

Any DirectX uninstaller is fake... but Morrowind requires more processor power than any other game i have seen.

But you should try to disable audio in the .ini file.
    And the DirectX9.0b is pretty bugless... Try to re-run the DirectX installer to reinstall DirectX.

11. Dice

Media:
    OK, I finally solved all the problems I was haveing with this game. I went and exchanged it for the Game Of The Year XBOX version. I would have liked the toolset and the player made modules but OH WELL, at least now I have a game I can play.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help me though, that was very nice and I really appreciate it. Sorcerer's Place has the greatest people!

12. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

13. Taza

Now you just need to install Linux on that Xbox, and you can use mods too. :D
    I know one Xbox user who uses successfully Morrowind PC mods with Xbox. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.