1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Alabama: Belief in evolution disqualifying factor for candidates for public office?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, May 15, 2010.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    That is apparently so when you are a Republican candidate. Alabama gubernatorial candidate Bradley Byrne is being attacked in the ad below for once saying that evolution “best explains the origin of life.” Byrne is also being challenged for saying that the Bible is “only partially true.” Byrne is running against the “ten commandments judgeRoy Moore.

That said, he caved in immediately.
    So what Moores ad is good for is forcing probably reasonable people into pronounce things they probably don't believe in order to appease the nutty base. Horrifying.

On a related note:
    If this example, and the pre-election republican politicking in Arizona (not to mention the GOP presidential primary candidates falling over themselves in attempt to outdo themselves in proclaiming their enthusiasm for torture) is any indication, I think that primary system is a safe recipe to dumb down public dispute. The US should consider abandoning that folly. It's a way to get bad candidates.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I agree with eliminating the primary system. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. In fact, I wouldn't mind eliminating the whole party system altogether. If you want to run for office, get enough signatures, state your beliefs, and campaign and fund raise, but don't feel a need to be tied to an overarching philosophical/theological/political belief system crafted by others just so you can call yourself a cadidate of Party X.

On the rest of it, this seems like politics as usual to me. Remember the accusations being tossed around in the Democratic presidential primary? Hillary's a racist? Obama belittles women? Edwards... shot himself in the foot, really. For the Dems is 'how dedicated are you to the minorities and downtrodden', for the Reps is 'how dedicated are you to religious beliefs'. Either way, it's a stupid litmus test.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    How about this parody. (Note that is some - well not really some, but one word - that could be considered offensive language.) It's actually pretty tame for HBO:

Bradley Burne Parody

4. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I'm not about to blame political parties or primaries for this. I think this has more to do with the state at hand being Alabama than anything else.

There are some ways the state is different from others so some things that wouldn't stand elsewhere do there and vice versa.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.