1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

All Fired Up!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sir Belisarius, Jan 19, 2001.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
  2. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Next Christmas?!? Aaarrgh! So far it looks pretty good. Maybe I'll reread my Trilogy again in prep.

Btw, I didn't see Liv Tyler anywhere in that clip. Think maybe this means she won't ruin the movie after all? ;)

Wait ... there she is ... in bed ... imagine ...

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited January 19, 2001).]

3. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    Uggh! Don't get me started...It was bad enough when they announced she was going to have an expanded role...I'll start hyperventilating again!!!!! :D

4. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I've known about this movie about the time that I discovered that Star Wars 1 was gonna be made. I think I'll make a calendar countdown.

But seriously, I think it'll be good but not exact.

5. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    I've heard about some of the changes, but for the most part, I've heard the movies are very true to the books. I just think it's cool to see a world you already have a mental picture of actually materialize.

From the trailer, I'm impressed with the visuals so far!

To digress a little...I always liked the book Battlefield Earth, but the movie was horrible! Not only did they completely stray from the storyline, most of the cool characters in the book were just erased!

I don't get the impression that's going to happen in LotR...There may be small things, but it looks like most of it is intact.

6. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Hey! Thanks for the reminder! I got half way throught that book, then lost it somewhere. I completely forgot about it!! I'll have to start a search party, it's gotta be around somewhere ...

7. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I also saw the trailer on a cable station here in Southern Cal. From what I saw, it appeared to be TOTALLY opposite of what the insulting and ridiculous AD&D rip off was.

The scenes that I saw dealt with the Riders of Rhodan (sp?) as well as some of the Wraith (Ring) Riders and some of the little folk - Hobbits! It truly looked as if the script, costumes, environment, story line as well as cinematography is truly honoring the envisioned realm of Middle Earth.

It's about time something like this has come around!!!

8. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Sir Belisarius,
    I liked that book as well, L Ron Hubbard wasn't it? I was pretty excited to see the movie, and then I heard the reviews, and talked to people who had seen it; my excitement wore off quite fast. I still haven't seen it yet.

People who make movies based on books must think that their viewers can't read or something. I'm trying to think of any movie that does a book justice...

Tom Clancy movies aren't bad.

9. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    I agree on the Clancy movies/books...and yes, it was L. Ron Hubbard.

A little advise - Don't rent/buy/or even steal Battlefield Earth! It is by far the worst movie I have ever seen, with the possible exception of Eye of the Beholder or Wing Commander.

I really liked the book, and I was totally disappointed in their adaptation...Hubbard is probably doing somersaults in his grave!

10. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Starship Troopers sucked too. The book was a classic, so much went into it. Whoever thought up that shower scene should be disembowelled with a multi-tool can opener.

Anyone ever read the book "Armor"? Great read, it's a lot like Starship Troopers.

11. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Battlefield Earth is pretty scary. I walked in while it was playing one night and I couldn't even watch ten minutes of that awful movie. I'm not a big John Travolta fan, but I'm just wondering if he really has a brain. I mean, he does still have big name value in Hollywood. Why in the world would he be in that. Didn't he bother to read the script. I would think the dialog alone would send chills up peoples spine. It made me go into convulsions :)

12. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

It looks they are putting a lot of work into making it as real as possible. It is about time that this great book came to the life of the movie screen.

13. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] I was pretty excited when I saw the trailer...I've read the books a couple o' times, and I really enjoy them. I've always had a mental picture of the characters and places in the books, and I was really happy with what I saw!

Most of the characters were very close to how I pictured them to be. I can't wait until the movie comes out! I don't think I've been this excited about a movie coming out since Return of the Jedi!

14. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Unlike the AD&D movie and the Hobbit 'cartoon', LotR looks real good. I've been reading up on their site for around six months and their work makes me think they are putting a lot of time and more important thought into the production. I'll be in line opening night.

As far as Battlefield Earth goes, I loved the book. I think I've read it around ten times. I was excited to hear that they were making a movie but after I read all the reviews and NOT one said anything good I just couldn't bring myself to see it. The epic struggle of man will have to live on in the safty of our minds.

Starship troppers was not that bad. Mind me the book was MUCH better. If you don't think about the book while you watch the movie you can honstly give it a 6 or so. Of course the book is a 8 or even 9.

Let hope LotR is close to the books. I know it would be as good but let's hope it's not bad. And anyway we need something to hold us over to SW2, don't we? :)

15. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Definitely!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.