1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Amtrak vs Greyhound

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Rotku, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these two (in the USA). In the US for a while, and without access to a car or money to pay for flights, trying to work out the best way to travel around.

I read in a Lonely Planet (I think it was) that Amtrak can be a bit unreliable at times, and of course buses tend to go to more places, however my preference is certainly for trains over buses.

The prices seem fairly similar, so in the end it comes down to the reliability of them, and comfort of travel. If anyone has any thoughts on these, would love to hear :)

2. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Depends on where you want to go, I guess. Last Thanksgiving I went to my friend's house in New Jersey, going by Greyhound and coming back by Amtrack, and I would recommend Amtrack.
    The Greyhound bus was late by an hour an 40 minutes from the start, as well as my first connecting bus. After I got to my last station, I heard that my last bus had left already because it was on time. Plus, the whole trip was really uncomfortable, since the seats were smaller than on Amtrack. Many of the stations are somewhat dirty as well.
    Amtrack, on the other hand, was right on time, had a very pleasant trip, and I don't have anything to say against them. Just pack a decent lunch if your trip is going to take awhiile :)

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I used Greyhound and never had any problems... except the chatterbox next to me that never shuts up. Regardless of which bus it was, or where I sat... there ALWAYS was a chatterbox sitting next to me. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'd recommend Amtrak only for long distance trips...like traveling across two or more states. For in-state trips, go with Greyhound.

The commuter trains here wouldn't even be close to Europe's even if our government poured several billion dollars in to renovations and upgrades. :bad: :rolling:

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I rode a Greyhound bus from Utah to Vancouver once. NEVER AGAIN! It was uncomfortable, there were too many stops, too many small children whining, and far too many smells. I can't speak for Amtrak never having used it. However, Rotku, I'd recommend finding a friend with a car!

6. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I'd go with Amtrak if it services the area you're going. I was at least reasonably comfortable on the train, as opposed to any bus I've been on.

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Thanks for the advice!

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Rotku, do you realize the distances we are talking about here in the US? The bus rides I know about (either I or a family member have done these):

Salt Lake City, UT to Portland, OR: 19 hours.
    Los Angeles, CA to Phoenix, AZ: 9 hours.
    Chicago, IL to Dallas, TX: 20 hours.
    Washington DC to Chicago, IL: 40 hours.

These are the minimum times. Often, as mentioned above, the bus is delayed or there are a lot of people waiting for the next bus (it's first come, first served on the bus) and you need to wait for the next bus -- some cities have hourly service between stops, some daily. The DC to Chicago trip actually took over 60 hours with delays (but it was just after 9/11). Cross-country on a bus will take several days. And the seats are "economy" meaning they are small and poorly padded.

The train is a bit better for time and comfort, but it is nearly as expensive as flying. Check out pricing on Southwest Airlines -- often they have good prices (but are not listed on web sites such as Orbitz).

9. Rotku

Yeah, T2. I know the times are huge. Have no plans in travelling right across the country in one trip though. Lots of small trips are the way to go with any sort of travel. Thanks for the suggestion about Southwest Airlines though :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.