1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

An Infinity Engine Retrospective

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Beren, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Here's an opinion that views the Infinity Engine era with quite a strong sense of nostalgia, and as a basis of critique for more recent RPG titles:

http://www.dealspwn.com/love-infinity-engine/

Quite an interesting and insightful read.

Franky, I'm not sure I agree.

Don't get me wrong, I still play the IWD and BG games with all the relish and enthusiasm as I did when they first came out. But for all its strong points, and there many, Infinity wasn't without problems for some people. Pathfinding .... gawd .... was a sore tooth for me.

And honestly, I enjoy SOME of the new titles that have been out in recent years. I liked NWN2 OC and Dragon Age Origins despite their cliched storylines. Hey, I knew what to expect so I wasn't going to complain. And Mask of the Betrayer was an absolute masterpiece in storytelling.

But I also see the point about 'style over substance' for some titles as well. Everything I've either heard or observed about Awakening, or Dragon Age 2, seems to confirm this for me. Dragon Age Origins I thought was very well done, because it was years in the making. They took the time to get it right, although the rules system seems a tad simple to me. Dragon Age 2 by comparison seems like a rushed and dumbed down cash grab.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think it's actually quite interesting to see how the cycle continues.

For my coursework I have had to design a 2D game. Most people have put forward a scope along the lines of a simpe tower strategy game whilst mine is based on a freeware simulation of infinte. The main question my lecturer had?
    "If you're going to put that much effort into a game why not make it 3D instead?"

My response was a simple "What would it add?" too often a game is based on the expected features of the given demographic - eyecandy has spoilt the genre to an extent. They don't just want gorgeous graphics, but want to see those graphics from every angle and want it to be so immersive that imagination doesn't need to come into it so much anymore.

A difficulty in the market is also - fresh blood. I have been looking at the indsutry lately from the perspective of a job seeker - I have yet to find a job for a writer/designed that does not specify "Must have had at least one major title" that you have worked on as part of a team and has been a top profit turner.

If the people on the design are people that have already had a hit then there is going to be a linearity of expectations that develops.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.