1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

An unconventional, possibly less cheesy HOF strategy... would it work?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Fraction, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Fraction Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I like hard RPGs, but I kind of hate the idea of exploiting the AI with summoned skeletons or resorting to gamey characters with an AC so high they cannot be hit, but who require constant buffs and have like 10 strength. Buffing a lot in games is kinda tedious, and while I don't mind power gaming, most of the 72 ac decoy builds with 5 classes seemed like a little too much for me.

So I was wondering about other possible ways to survive HOF, without using gamey tactics. However, I really have no idea if this would work, so I thought I'd check with you guys.

Member 1
    Tank, Dwarf Fighter4/Barb X with 20 con, put all level up points into con, if you can find any good con boosting items wear them.

Members 2,3,4 and possibly 5
    Clerics who memorize as many copies of the cleric spell "heal" as possible, cast offensively or throw axes the rest of the time.

Members 6 and possibly 5
    Ranged Magic Damage (one might have a level of rogue)

Depending on the rolls, by level 30, the Tank can exceed 400 hp and the spell heal restores all HP. Three or four clerics can eventually memorize many copies of heal, and each one can restore hundreds of HP, with a short casting time. Clerics are also very powerful and versatile in other areas, when they aren't needed for the heal rotation they can nuke (lathander) or throw axes (tempus) depending on which God they took.

Would this party be able to beat HOF without resorting to summoning abuse?

If it can work, I think it would suit my playstyle pretty well, and it wouldn't feel as cheesy as some of the other parties I've read about.

Also would it be better with two arcane casters and three clerics or one arcane caster and four clerics? I can still nuke with my clerics if they're Lathander but I won't have as many death spells like wail of the banshee. But the more clerics I have, the longer the heal rotation can last before I either have to rest or die.

P.S. this isn't a condemnation of the ultimate power gaming parties the math that went into them is amazing, I just like a simpler approach because I hate buffing and don't really like to get into really weird multiclasses as a matter of taste. Plus it's kind of boring copying a build from a FAQ.

2. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

For HoF you can always use 2 arcane spellcasters, a sorcerer and a wizard capable of casting Wail of Banshee. That spell is a real killer especially when you have many enemies around you. As for buffs, it is unlikely you'll survive without them, especially against big enemies like the Guardian. Lathander is one of the worst choices for HoF. He has many offensive spells which are mostly useless against the enemy. Helm is a much better choice since he has the best defensive spells.
    One of the most powerful builds for HoF is a ranger which takes a few levels as a paladin. Using Heart of Charname and Cera Sumat they are the epitome of doom in melee fights.
    Enchantment spells are also a must. Chaos, Dominate or Confusion are great spells to use in HoF.

3. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

At least 2 sorcs/wizards is the way to go in HOF. As redrake said, Enchantment spells can be really useful, especially if you plan to play without summons or high-AC chars.

Just remember that enemies hit hard and very often so your potential 500+ HP will probably not last long at all. That's not that much more than the typical fighter-types (that usually have about 18 con and "max-HP/lvl on") and they die quickly.
    I think buffing a high-AC decoy would be much easier than healing to keep your tank alive!

4. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

i've finished the game without using cheesy summon tactics much

all you need is a party of good characters (must be good!), 3 tanks, 1 cleric and 2 wiz/sorc

for tanks i've found monks VERY useful since they have 20/+1 DR on high levels which blocks a lot of damage, but you can take something else also

while your tanks are busy, cast HOLY WORD spell with your cleric (everyone of different alignment than your cleric's is stunned for 1 round NO SAVE), have 1 wizzie cast malison and the other one WOTB = 75%+ enemies dead right away, then FOD/kill the rest

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.