1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Another new computer topic.

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Sydax, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] (There should be a sticky one about this :) )

Well, I'm going to get a new computer for Christmas so I have to choose what I want; and of course, there are lots of choices in the market but none of them always fits what someone wants.
    So, my girfriend wants one but she will only use it for Office things and nothing more, but of course, she don't want those old big monitors. I want something to play games like Need for Speed Underground 2 and other 'system demmanding' games.
    Yesterday we went on an 'exploration' walk and saw lots of offers. For her computer we found a good one, 700 euros, included TFT monitor and those printer-scanner-etc. combos, so that point is covered.
    There are not many stores around to choose from, PC City is a computer related store but they have little options to choose from and you don't get special offers (PC+monitor+printer kind). like in other non-just-computer stores. There are other little places where you can buy single computer stuff like the HD, video cards, etc. so I think that that will be my choice to make my own computer.
    There are some interesting offers around, most of them have the same basic things:
    Procesors: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ x2
    Pentium 4 516 (i915) 2.93Ghz
    Sempron and Centrinos.
    Vieo: NV 6200SE 256MB Turbocache
    Geforce 6200 256MB
    ATI x600 356MB
    Some Intel onboard
    HD: 80 or 160GB SATA
    Memory: 512 or 1024 DDR2

So, what is best for gaming, what procesor (Sempron or Centrino worth the try?), what kind of memory (DDR2?), SATA?, etc.
    I appreciate your opinions.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm...the word 'best' is relitive.

But as for information that will actually help you, I'd say to get what *you* think is the best, as everyone has different preferences. I for one only use Intel processors and ATI video cards, while there are more people that like AMD and nVidia.

Ok, that's not much help either...

For a hard drive, I'd suggest 2 Seagate SATA drives with NCQ technology, that are in a RAID 0 config.

As for RAM, go with 1GB of DDR2 memory! 512MB just isn't enough anymore, and DDR2 is fast!

Your best bet to get get the "best" possible computer at the best possible price is to build it yourself...I just configured a computer that my dad wants for under $550. Sure, it's not going to be a super fast gamming PC, but it'll be 10 times faster than the load of junk he has right now. :rolling:

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Like said: take what you think is the best, especially if you got money to burn. But, IMO, that package isn't one of the best. Consider the following:

Are you sure you want Pentium CPUs that use more electricity, go hot, and are more expensive than AMDs?

Speaking of AMD, why 3800+ and not 3500+? You could save some 100 bucks at a loss of marginal performance.

Those GeForces... 6200 is *the* worst graphics-card in the markets ATM, so are you sure that 6600 (GT or non-GT) isn't for you?

Motherboards. Why Intel? nForce4 is told to be slightly (very slightly: perhaps 1%) faster than Intel's chips. From personal experience I can recommend MSI, even though you can't go wrong with ANY modern mobo.

Lastly: remember the look of the case and what powersource it uses. Spending some 300 bucks might be a wise investment, since you can always recycle them much like your monitor.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Centrinos are typically found in notebooks, not desktops. If you are looking for a notebook, then the Intel Centrino is an excellent choice. If you are looking for a single core desktop, then figure AMD for games, Intel for media. If it is dual core, AMD is probably the best choice regardless of what you are running.

5. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

First let’s discuss processors. If you are building a machine for the sole purpose for gaming, AMD CPUs are the top dogs, if you have the cash to lie down purchase yourself an AMD FX-57 or AMD 64 4800+ x2. If you are building a machine for both gaming, media and other basic computer task both AMD and Intel will do. As for AMD, please do not look at the speed of the CPU. AMD processor speed maybe slower than the Intel stated speed, but when it comes to the actual application AMD CPUs can keep up or blow by Intel processor, especially when gaming.

Second we can discuss graphic card. If you would have asked this question two or three months ago I would of said Nvidia because of Nvidia SLi (2 graphic cards connected together to increase the total graphic card capability) capability , however a lot can change in a few months given technology advancements. Now both Nvidia and ATI have graphic cards that can connect to each other that will provide improved graphics. Since ATI technology is fairly new, it is harder to find the correct Motherboard and Video Card. I have only seen one or two ATI FireGL cards available and they cost $350+. Where as you could buy a middle of the road ATI card and use the SLi technology on those cards. But if you are pure in gaming, you would drop down close to $1,000 for two Nvidia Geforce 7800GTX.

Now given what you wrote here are my recommendations. First off try finding a computer with an AMD processor with at least 1G of ram if not 2Gs. That in itself is half the issue. Now what AMD processor to pick is not so easy since there are so many? To simply your search for the right processor let first get rid of any PC that has a 754 socket. You want an AMD 939 socket CPU. Now that we have that out of the way, which one is right for you; simple, one that fits your budget, obviously the more expensive the CPU the better it will be at handling your games.

As for the graphic card, you want one that has either DDR2 or DDR3 ram. Both will provide quite enough for gaming. The higher the clock speed usually the faster the graphic card. If you have the money, try the higher end cards that are over $300.

Last but least what to get for a hard drive; simple SATA 150 with at least 8MB; if you can find a hard drive with 16MB it is faster and would be a slight improvement over the 8MB. To gain even more speed you could RAID the two hard drives or go for a SATA 10,000RPM hard drive. This of course is all about preference. A good system should cost you around $1,000-5,000. $1,000 would be the cheaper gaming system and $5,000 would be one toward top of the line. Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

6. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

One down, one to go...
    Ok, we got a pc for my girlfriend; 500 Euros, Dell 17'' monitor, P4, 512ram, onboard Intel graphic card 128MB, printer-scanner-copier combo. Well, is not a big thing but that was the cheaper thing we could buy, the monitor was the expensive thing, 180Euros.
    Compared with the thing we had, is faster than the speed of the light.
    Now, as for the computer I want, I have 1500 Euros to spend, and I'm searching a place where to buy the things that I want, because almost every 'big-known' place offers computers already made with stuff that not always is the stuff someone wants. So then, should I go to AMD, 64bits?, from what I gather, I can get 2Gs ram, DDR2 or 3? what's the difference? Last I heard is that AGP is no longer used or 'useful', now there are PCI something?.
    Well, I have a week to look around, the fact that Christmas is around the corner, things are getting expensive as time passes.
    Thanks!

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    First: Don't buy anything AGP. There is almost nothing left at the high-end in that interface. Since you are not upgrading, but building a new machine, buy up-to-date technology (PCI express). My choice is nVidia, not ATI, but that is a personal opinion and preference, yours may vary, and others will disagree, since they are both very good.

Second: I would build a system based around an AMD 64 single core processor in that price range - dual core if you can spring for a little more. The type of memory is not as important as the video card and the processor. Still, buy the fastest memory within reason. But buy from these guys - they ROCK!

http://www.newegg.com/

8. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

Here is what I would get for around $1500 euros.

AMD FX 55 or 57
    RAM 1GB or 2GB of DDR Over Clocked
    Graphic Card: Get PCIe x16 and if you go Nvidia get at least a Geforce 6600 256 DDR2. If you have the extra to spend Geforce 7800 GT or GTX.

If you read my post on the PC I built it is equal to roughly $800-850 euros and handles all new games very easily. With $1500 euros you should be able to get yourself a FX AMD processor and a 7800 series Geforce Graphic Card.

If Alienware ships over seas see what they would be able to build for you for 1500 euros.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    As for processors, AMD is for gaming. I've seen 3D mark benchmarks... let's just say I sort of regretted getting my own intel processor after comparing similar configurations with AMD processors within the same price division. ;) Don't even think about any less than 1GB RAM. As for hard drives, SATA and whatever capacity has the best GB per euro ratio. ;) (You will have to see what they have. Typically, the biggest disks around are expensive but the second-best capacity tends to be a good choice. Something around 160-200 GB, anyway.) GeForce 6600GT looks like a good choice in its price division. Just remember the GT keyword. ;) GF6600GT performs better than GF6800 and much better than a normal 6600. Perhaps if you have the bucks for 7800... but shouldn't 7800 go cheaper quite soon? I think Christmas isn't a good season for buying computers. Mid and late January seems to be the best, once the Christmas buying frenzy is over. Do yourself a favour and find a good chassis with a strong and silent power supply. If you play multiplayer games where speed and precision is important, you may want an optical mouse with a glass mouse pad.

10. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Just to contradict every Nvidia fan here, I'll say that: SCREW Nvidia! Get a freaking ATI! X800 Platinum rocks!

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  12. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Blackthorne has given you a link to all the information you need. Tomshardware.com also try Anandtech. I could write you a lecture on which are best, but check toms hardware CPU charts and graphics charts.

At the moment best bang for buck would be Athlon 64 system running on an Nforce4 chipset with either a 6800gs (nvidia) or one of the newer X800gt (gto) cards. If you've got a bit more cash go for a nvidia 7800gt. If your struggling get a 6600gt.
    1 gig of DDR400 RAM is sufficient but if you want ultra smooth performance on some of the newer games they like 2gb.
    Avoid Intel and Dual core at the moment, although you may want a motherboard than can handle it in future.

13. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Wow, that's the Heaven of comps, BTA. Thanks for the link!

And I was referring to the X800 Platinum, a beefed up X800. It runs Doom 3 like a breeze. It completly whips my GeForce 5700's ass.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    You've gained a rank up in my book DotW. ATI *does* rock! :thumb:

But as for TDO's advise, stay away from Anandtech.com's message boards. It's filled with a buch of teenage idiots that think they are gods because they have a big post count and a little knowledge of computers. :flaming:

Seriouly though...the BoM is the only message board you need. :thumb: :rolling:

15. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Never checked the message boards on Anandtech - but their hardware analysis and reviews are more regularly updated than Toms.
    I'm not a fan boy when it comes to ATI/Nvidia, Intel/AMD or even Sony/Microsoft. Check the facts and make your choice. ATI were dominant with there 9000 series of cards versus Nvidias 5 series but they have fallen behind recently, in both value and performance. If ATI were ahead I'd buy ATI, but they are not at the moment hence I bought Nvidia.

I'll just take this chance to correct the misguided

Firstly the current generation of ATI cards (if you can find them) are the X1300, X1600 and X1800. The X800 and X850 are missing things like High Dynamic Range and Shader Model 3. So they can rock all they like but they have been replaced. Then take a look at this chart which pitches the ATI flagship X1800XT 6% behind the Nvidias second string 7800GT in terms of performance.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20051202/images/3dupgrade-big.gif

The cheapest X1800XT I can find is £340 (if they have them is stock), I can buy a 7800GT for £217.
    Thats £123 more expensive or about $200 dollars. The story is similar accross the whole of the price performance board. I just can't see any reason to buy ATI at this point.

[ December 07, 2005, 12:52: Message edited by: Tap Dancing Oyster ]

16. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

chevalier I am not sure how it is in Europe but in the states I could order a SATA 250-400GB HDD for around $150 plus shipping.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.