1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anyone playing as a Warlock?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Sir Slayer, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Sir Slayer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hi everyone, I just got the game and was overjoyed they included the great Warlock as one of playable classes (I'm currently playing one in pen & paper DnD and he rocks)! However, after reading the manual, the game seems to miss some feats that are essential for a powerful Warlock (like Quicken spell-like ability or Maximize spell-like ability). On the other hand, some of his incantations seem significantly upgraded(Flee the scene looks like a free Haste 24-7, crazy!). So, I'd really appreciate some opinion from those who finished the game (or at least got into some later parts) about pros and cons of NwN Warlocks. Thanks in advance!

2. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

I liked Ammon Jerro, a warlock you'll run into later on, but many people seem to think that he wasn't all worth having in a party because warlocks come out to be a little useless (or maybe it was his AI).

From what it looks like to me, you have your eldrich blast that attaches stuff to it, so you can weaken enemies while dealing pretty decent damage to them. That sounds to me like, whether it's powered up strongly or not, it's a good class. Especially because warlock has d6 hp and cleric base attack, so you're not worthless in melee/ranged either.

3. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I haven't played one, but some of the comments over at Bioware's boards have me shying away from them.

For one thing, the fact that you can rest just about anywhere/anytime in NWN2 makes the Warlock's unlimited casting seem like not a big deal. Also, at high levels warlocks are only dealing out about 35 damage per round while other classes are dishing out far more (melee with 4 attacks per round or high-level mages with empowered fireballs and whatnot).

4. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

When going on about sustaining damage, keep in mind a wizard/sorc will only be able to through out about 4/6 max'd fireballs respectively, while the eldrich blast doing only 35 damage continues to have effect and adds additional effects.

Sometimes when people complain about classes on boards they lack any sense of broad vision and focus on something minute. The warlock isn't about Damage Per Round so much as draining the life out of a victim.

5. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'v tried to be a Warlock, but I don't think I'm cut out for it (I always stop when I first arive in Neverwinter). I tend to rely on the diversity of a Wizard or Sorcerer.

6. Saul Darkfire Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well when I started my first character I went straight for Warlock. I've played most of the other classes oh so many times I wanted to try something fresh & new. I haven't been disappointed, Warlock is now my favourite class by far.

I've seen a lot of whinging on the official forums about the low damage output of Warlocks and I can't understand why. The game already has two "nuke-them-til-they're black-and-crispy" magic using classes, adding a third would not have brought anything new to the game.

Warlocks have many strengths and I found mine to exceptionally powerful towards the end of the campaign. However to my mind discovering how to play a new class is half the fun and I won't spoil anyone else's enjoyment by posting any hints or guides.

If your the type who likes to discover things for yourself then Warlock is well worth a try.

7. Cheesegear Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've just been running a Warlock through the beginning of the game. It's doing quite well. Yes, it's true; Warlocks can't do the nuke-type damage that the other Spellcasters can, but, that's not where their true strength lies. Eldritch Blasts aren't really that great.
    But, you said yourself Flee the Scene is a free haste. Forever. They also have other things like being able to cast Darkness and Invisibility at will. Not to mention that spell that lets them see in Darkness (Blindsight?) makes it even better.

Now, what I've done is thrown a muticlass into the mix. So...Imagine a Rogue who can go Invisible at will? Yeah. Exactly. Throw a few ranks of Fighter in and get the Battle Caster feat and you're set. There's so many things you can do with a multiclassed Warlock it isn't funny. Or, with a pure-class Warlock, you only really need two spells;
    Word of Changing
    Eldritch Doom (with the Essence that ignores Spell Resistance)
    Then you're set. Unfortunately, you have to GET to those spells. And then after you've got those spells (lvl 18), you've got an extra 2 levels to do whatever with.
    I started with;
    Human Fighter (1): Power Attack, Cleave, Weapon Focus - Greatsword
    Fighter (1) / Warlock (2): Battle Caster

And went on from there. And then because I'm only wearing Medium Armour, I can cast Leaps and Bounds and still get a bonus out of it. At the moment I'm up to Neverwinter and I've done fine thus far.

~ Cheesegear

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.