1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anyone still steaming with Counter-Strike?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by teekc, Nov 27, 2003.

1. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i left CS about 3 years when it was still 6.0 something, the first time they introduced double pistols.

Recently, i started to pick up the game, again. i must say, much has changed. Especially with Steam. The idea is good, but it could bring some disastrous result. i was constantly attacked by my own addiction as today steam decided to update CS. All CS 1.6 servers in the world, each and everyone of them need to be restarted. No one at that time was playing CS.

i don't mind keeping my game up to date, but could i have some control over it?

Many still hang on CS 1.5 hoping that they wouldn't shut down WON. Rumors that WON is to be shut down once 1.6 released but now it seems that the collective will of players are keeping the server going.

2. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I personally think that Steam are a dissapointment. Especially with us having to pay £10 a month just to be able to play a game online. I mean, this whole price scheme has caused National tornements to switch from CS to CoD (which i personally agree with). Because of this price scheme, Valve & steam will lose quite a bit of custom. I've noticed that out of say 10 people that i know that play counterstrike (before), of thos 10, say 1 or 2 may play it now with the price increase. In my opinion, a bad move by Valve & steam.

3. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

First of all 1.6 and Steam has been out for a couple of months now. And second of all I dont pay anything for Steam. Do you actually have to pay for Steam in the UK!?

Steam still has alot of bugs in it, which is why they update it every now and then. And the reason why you cant control it cuz your game has to be the same as everyone elses otherwise you wouldn´t be able to play at all.
    I gotta say, I really hated 1.6 when I first tried it. But now after playing it alot it just keeps getting nicer and nicer. If it weren´t for steam, it would´ve been better than 1.5.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Steam is slow, Steam is harder to use than the well-known HL GUI, Steam costs (didn't know that...)

Conclusion: don't use steam (I don't) as long as there is better option: the regular HL GUI. Currently, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Natural Selection would not move to Steam...

Of course, once HL2 comes out and if the mods change HL1 to it, it's a whole new deal.

5. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

It´s not possible to play CS 1.6 without using Steam Virne. That´s the problem :(

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

That is why I don't play CS at all; not as long as I can play NS without Steam. :mad: (And it's better too)

*Crosses fingers and hopes that Flayra has been reading his posts at NS-forum*

7. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

1.5 still works as good as before.
    Not as many servers to play on though :(

8. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Steam works perfect I have never had a problem with it. What is this about paying for play CS? Well it is the first I have heard of it and I have been playing CS for quite some time.

Steam was a disaster at first but now it works fine and I do not know anyone who plays CS that has a problem with Steam now. Well Steam is not going away ;) so I guess get used to it or do not play CS. :D

9. teekc Gems: 23/31

They cannot charge for playing CS, no way, they simply cannot. CS is a free mod to begin with. We will get tons of ways to get around if they start charging us.

What i meant by control over updating is like... before. You know the time when i can wait to update to 0.6 while continue to play in 0.5. There is no need for rusing to update my CS. Even better is i can download my update while playing in what 0.5 servers left. But now with Steam i cannot, no server can. i have to update my game and all servers have restart at the same time. The whole world just stop at that moment. i cannot wait, i have to join the global crazy crowd in updating, which i really hate.

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Then don't do it. If enough people do the same, :p , the developers must take note of it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.