1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

AoO or no?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Erran, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I had a case the other night where a player wanted to move one 5 ft square 'diagonally' whilst in melee.
    Is this 5 ft (no AoO) or 7 ft as pythagoras or 10 ft (step west + north)? The later two would draw an AoO.
    Any opinions, or better still point out a rule on this? (I miss hexes!)

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I thought a 5 ft step was to any one of the 8 squares adjacent to the one you're standing in, not just the four cardinal directions...

3. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I don't personally see the 5 foot diagonal step to an adjacent square provoking an attack of oppertunity unless someone is defending the square the character is stepping into. Now if the character (Bob)and his adversary (hobgob) were, say, stading face to face and he (Bob) wanted to move to the side and then back (10 ft step) it would be an attack of oppertunity because the square he (Bob) is stepping to the side into is defended by his adversary (hobgob). All 8 squares surrounding a character are defended, so if someone moves through one to another, it would provoke an AoO. A diagonal move to another square, if you wanted to make it so, wouldn't normally provoke an AoA unless the other square was defended by a different foe (say a troll). However, if you wanted to say that the character (Bob) strayed into both the sqare beside him and the square directly behind him while moving to the diagonal square behind him, then such a ruling would allow for an AoO from his original enemy (hobgob).

4. Shraz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Right.... I think that clears it all up then. In my campaings I play it so that all 8 squares around the character don't draw an AoO.

5. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] OK, fair enough and that does seem to fit with Eric Noah's version.
    However, when you move from small scale to large scale do you apply the same rule?
    i.e. assume 5ft squares. 6 squares N, S, E or West is 30ft (typical movement) How about 6 diagonal squares (eg SW)? Isn't that more like 40ft while a 30ft move is 4 squares?

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would say that as long as you apply whatever rule you want consistently it remains fair for all. I've always felt that moving to an adjacent square is considered 5 feet even though trigonometrically that's not accurate for the diagonals.

7. Azirath Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I would think you would have to go e, n, e, etc. or whatever direction you are going...

8. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

In the PHB there is a couple of examples from the magazine 'Dragon'. In the examples showing AoO they have this Tordek doing a "Five-Foot Step" diagonally, so I guess math is thrown out the window :)

And Erran that's funny. I can see it now:
    <player> "Ok, guys lets get out this place. Remember to move diagonally so you'll cover more ground"

9. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Out of curiosity, why did the player want to move one "square"? Was this a boardgame type? Seems to me that if it was actual PnP you need not define squares or hexes or any such, simply define in terms of actual movement.

10. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Capstone: In DnD3e combat, where you have things like AoO, flanking etc., it simplifies matters a lot if you use a square grid to place your miniatures or counters on. The reason he wanted to move could for example have been to position himself opposite of another PC, thereby gaining a +2 flanking bonus to attack rolls on the enemy right between them. If he was a rogue he would also have gained the +Xd6 sneak attack bonus then.

11. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Exactly right Azardu, and since we were playing online with every player in a different country the grid system is the best way of unambiguously describing where everyone is.

12. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Erran: Do you use chess-like coordinates or something? I'm a bit curious as to how you manage this in a chatroom session.

13. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Yeah, along the lines of: You have entered a rectangular room from e3-g3 and e7-g7. There is an orc at f4 ....
    Seems to work ok. The alternative is Open RPG but that may be more trouble than its worth.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.