1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Arcanum questions

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Turambar, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] There's this guy in Blackroot that offers training in four disciplines for 500gold. When exactly do I qualify, I am an apprentice in all of the four disciplines he offers, but it seems I still have to have some more skills. How much do I need?
    And is it worth the time and effort.....

By the way this game is beautifoul, maybe the best game I have ever played, if not the best:grin:
    To anyone who hasn't bought this game already, way way better than Baldurs gate.

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

[​IMG] You need to have 3 points an an aprenticeship before you can be trained to expert level. It is up to you whether you want to increase. If for example, your main character is a gun slinger, then getting expert in firearms is logical.

And yes, I had noticed that the game is great :D :happy: :heh: :grin:

3. NoYur_Role Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

New Question.....

When I was underneath P.Schumers (spelling?) I got hit with some traps. Afterwards I noticed that my WP and PE stats were red showing that they had been "damaged", how do I get back to normal?

4. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

As far as I know, the only way for a stat to be in red is either if you are wearing a cursed bit of equipment, or you are cursed.

Check your inventory for cursed items, and remove them if you want.

If you are cursed, there is nothing to be done.

5. NoYur_Role Gems: 4/31

Wait a minute....your telling me that there's no way to remove a curse in arcanum? Kinda $H!TTy rule if ya ask me....:grr:

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Look in your journal under "injuries" (I think). I somehow got self-inflicted scarring that has affected my stats (red).

Can you heal the scars somehow? The normal healing I get from Virgil doesn't help.

7. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

If you get a critical success using the heal skill (bandages or first aid kit is required), it will heal injuries. Also, I think that getting healing from the women at the herb shops get rid of them too.

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited October 26, 2001).]

8. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

how the hell do I get arcanum to work! it says "arcanum has caused an error in <unknown>" whenever I try to load it. Ive given it the patch. before the patch it said "arcanum has caused an error in kernel32.dll". this happened to me before and I did a full restore to how was when I bought it so I have no idea how I would fix this.
    --FenixStrife

9. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Another Arcanum question:

I am in the dwarwen mines with my two good friends Virgil and Magnus. We are squatting foes as we go, but suddenly a huge seemingly indestructible Ore Elemental appears:aaa:

How does one kill it?

10. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Fenixstrife: I really have no idea, sorry mate.

Turambar: You can kill Ore Golems using normal weapons. However, this will damage any weapon that you use upon it (with the exception of hammers an I think axes). Another stategy would be to use molotov cocktails, as I did, or if you are a mage, use the black necromantic spell Harm.

11. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I killed the golem with dynamite: the explosion took his healt to 30% and then it was easy. By the way this area is one of the toughest place in the game, it took me several hours to clean out these mines.

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I kill those with swords. Yes, swords. Ever heard of "repair" skill? No? Great. Read my ranting on character creation.

Virgil and Magnus? Get lost from there - you need NPC Sogg.

FenixStrife, sorry, can't help you either. Reinstall OS (WIN98 if it's possible).

Curses? No, you can't remove them away - but neither the blessings! So don't kill that gypsy women in Tarant! *glower*

13. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31

Repair skill is great, but the blacksmiths repair your things very cheaply, so it's not necessary. And IMHO Magnus isn1t a great character...

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Smiths won't repair broken weapons - remember that.
    And you certainly won't constantly return to repair weapons... would that be a waste of time?

Magnus is great NPC later in the game. However, due to a "reaction" bug I had to kick him out of party :flaming:

15. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I too have a reaction bug with Magnus, but strnagely enough, it makes his reaction go up when I do certain things (I still haven't figured out what it is yet). Currently his reaction is 315.

16. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31

I had similar problems with Virgil: after a time he started to hate me! I have a good character, never did any evil act, so I don't see any reason at all! Is it a bug?

17. Elendil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yeah, I have the same problem with Virgil. I think that there is a bug in which the npc's alingments and reactions shift for no reason. I think that the patch fixes it. But, I didn't try it yet, need to get the crack :(

18. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31

I have the patch Elendil, but it didn't help. By the way, there is a cracked patch.

19. NoYur_Role Gems: 4/31

You can make magnus into a pretty good kick-ass character by using his balanced sword and light ax techs and equiping him with it. After I gave him the balanced sword he became a total new and now useful NPC.

20. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Reaction bug is NOT mended with the patch. At least not Magnus' reaction.

You actually CAN avoid the problem, but at the time I played the game I wasn't aware of it until I got more familiar with it.

Ok, here's first strategy - let your NPCs to do killings when you see that killing results in bad reaction! I think that one of problems with this is killing skeleton archers. It seems that reactions are based on things YOU do, not on things NPCs do.

Another bad reaction happens when you go for a quest with wild pigs and when you kill blue rabbit (not in the cave, but genuine Stillwater Shapeshifting beast). In these cases, you have to order your party members to wait for you some place nearby (but out of sight) - and then you just kill the bastards yourself. NPCs won't see it, there will be no reaction.

When will they release a newer patch that corrects this, I really can't say.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.