1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Area transition crash

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by nanuk, Jul 22, 2008.

1. nanuk Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Oh look, another crash thread... lol.

I've seen quite a few of them here, and have read through them in an attempt to fix my problem, but nothing has worked so far. This is wordy but bear with me- I'm trying to give lots of detail to make it easier ;)

I have IWD and HOW installed on a half-year-old laptop that runs Vista, and have been playing it for a couple of weeks on and off with no problems.

I installed the TotLM patch at the weekend, and since I did the game has crashed a few times- it freezes up completely (even, this morning, the quick mute button on the laptop keyboard- I had it set to mute, and when the screen froze I tried to unmute it to see if there was any noise but it wouldn't).

By hitting the windows button on the laptop I was able to get back to the desktop and close the game manually- but this afternoon I encountered another problem, and it seems quite specific.

After defeating Yxunomei in Dragon's Eye I was trying to make my way out and back to Kuldahar. Trying to leave the level that is the third screen after where Yxunomei was (so it was Yxunomei, up to the level where the Talonites were, then up to the level where Presio was, then to this level, where Mother Egenia was located) it freezes temporarily during the transition, and then goes to the desktop, precipitating an error message saying the game 'asked' to be shut down (by Runtime, I think- at this stage I'm so frazzled that I can't remember).

When you click on the doorway to transition to the next area the autosave triggers and works fine (I reloaded from there to make sure it had), and then the load screen comes up- but the red bar fills maybe an eighth of the way before freezing for perhaps five seconds, then going to desktop as i've said.

I uninstalled, cleared the files completely, and then reinstalled IWD and HOW but not TotLM but that didn't work.

I went back to an earlier save file- and transitioned fine through several different levels, but once I got to the same areas where I had the problem the exact same thing happened.

I even tried taking off items that were causing effects (for example blur), I even tried removing the Heartstone gem from the inventory, but nothing seems to have worked.

I've played IWD, both with and without HOW, a few times before- on two different PCs and a different laptop, and have never had this problem. The disc is a little scratched but I'm hoping that isn't the reason- and my brother insists that it's not, lol. I'm really hoping it isn't the reason because last time I found it quite tricky to get a European version.

Sigh.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I assume Vista can run executables in backwards compatibility mode, like XP... have you tried that? No idea if that would help, but it's worth a shot.

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I'd use the cheat console to teleport up directly to the first Dragon's Eye Level.

4. nanuk Gems: 1/31

@ Talauntain- I gave it a go, but unfortunately didn't work. Exactly the same problem. Good suggestion though, that thoroughly got my hopes up :)

@kmonster- another good suggestion that got my hopes up, but it won't let me enable cheats. I've done it before on different machines so I'm assuming this is a vista thing. It won't let me save changes to the .ini file- saying I need Administrator permission (!!!).
    I tried saving the changed file elsewhere, renaming, then removing the original file from the folder and replacing it with the altered one, then changing the name back again... sigh... but it doesn't work. The altered file just shows up as WordPad, while the original one is Config Settings.

Grah.

Might try installing XP and transferring everything over to that, might make it a little easier.

Thanks for the advice.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You can enable cheats through the config program... you don't need to change the ini for that.

6. nanuk Gems: 1/31

I tried the config programme already- even though it said cheats enabled when I brought it up in game and tried to input a code it said 'nice try, cheater!'.

Which might have been amusing if I wasn't getting irritated...

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] What exactly are you typing? That message generally means you've typed it in wrong. Not that the console is disabled. As far as I remember if the console is disabled you can't even open it.

8. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Have you checked the Event Viewer to see the reason the game crashed to the desktop? I'm not familiar with Windows Vista to know how to open the Event Viewer with it. You can just copy and paste the whole error message if you'd like. At least then we'll know what is causing the crash.

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Cheats are enabled in your game, else you couldn't use the console.
    This message appears if you use the the cheatcode for pure IWD if you have HoW installed. With HoW the general cheat command is different.

10. nanuk Gems: 1/31

Good idea- but I'll have to nab someone at home to help me figure out the event viewer for Vista.

The error says;

---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    ---------------------------
    Runtime Error!

Program: C:bad:Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale\IDMain.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.

And once I click okay IWD just shuts down.

Ah.
    Damn you, Gamefaqs!

I tried both of what they suggested- CHEATERSDOPROSPER and GETYOURCHEATON, both followed by the specific cheat.

I just double checked and I definitely used both- GETYOURCHEATON:EnableCheatKeys(); being the HOW one.

Okay, I messed around with it a bit and it seems to be working- huzzah- but I can't find the code to teleport to a specific area, just to where the pointer is (and you can't, of course, bring up the console on the map screen).

Any ideas?

I love that you guys are so helpful- thanks!
    Sorry for the braindeadishness- this is what I get for trying to be 'productive' so soon after a migraine, lol.

11. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] CHEATERSDOPROSPER:MoveToArea("AR4000");

Areas are named with a specific scheme with the first number being the identity of the area group. In this case 4 is the Dragons Eye group of areas. 000 is the exterior. If you're trying to get to the first level specifically then you need AR4001 instead of AR4000, and so on to AR4005 which is where Yxonemei is/was located.

A list of areas can be found here for future reference.

12. nanuk Gems: 1/31

<3 <3

Thanks a million!

I had found that it was AR4000, but didn't get the MoveToArea bit. You're a star.

Thanks again to all for all the help.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.