1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Arpaio's Arizona Circus (with guns): Steven Seagal attacks!

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    In Arpaio-land, Steven Seagal was seen attacking a home with a tank, armored cars, bomb robot, and dozens of SWAT team members. The crime? Suspected involvement in cockfighting.

Story here:
    Here's video of the spectacle.

The kicker is this: The police acknowledge that there was no evidence to suggest that the man was dangerous or that he was armed. The only slightly disproportionate operation (costs?) and that this was apparently basically a stage set up to give Seagal good footage for his reality program 'Lawman' really make this something else.

In Arpaio-land that's “We’re going to err on the side of caution.” Clearly, allowing Seagal to parade around in a tank with a film crew is simply being cautious. Considering the prevalence of guns in America in general, and in places like Arizona in particular - who can't be expected to be armed? Erring on the side of caution means that this armoured assault becomes a standard operating procedure. What bollocks. Taxpayers should put an end to this folly and to the careers of the fools who have allowed this to happen.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You're missing the point. The roosters were obviously highly trained enemy combatants armed with deadly weapons, hiding among the unarmed chicken civilians and using them as meat shields. The heathen wretches had it coming.

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That there just looks like a bunch of good ole-boys havin' themselves a bit of fun. How dare you rain on their parade.

Bottom line: if you have a tank, you gotta use it every now and again, especially when Seagal's in town!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yeah, Joe's big chance for a photo-op with a has-been "actor" who has given up grade B movies for reality TV. I suppose that crap will sell in AZ. It's getting hard to tell the crimnals from the cops these days [or even harder than it used to be].

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Wait, what? This is hilarious - at least as long as you aren't the neighbors .

As an aside, iirc local roads aren't exactly designed to handle the pressure from a heavy vehicle like a freaking tank. Does the movie company pay extra fees for the road damage they've caused ;) ?

6. Ragusa

Media:
    Nah, probably not. The joke probably is that the sheriff's office doesn't either.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Apparently the "tank" wasn't really a tank, but an APC, which makes a bit more sense. Last I heard, the police don't get to play with big boy military toys.

Here:

[​IMG]

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not sure why anyone would confuse that with a tank. It clearly has wheels and not treads ... hell, it's not even a heavy APC. What's the big deal here? :p

Seriously though, the armored vehicles like that one used have been in law enforcement for over twenty years; they even made a mockery of one in Die Hard. I believe this is the same type of vehicle used at the Branch Davidian compound in Waco.

9. Ragusa

Media:
    Police departments get stuff like that cheaply from military surplus. The Bush administration had iirc again increased such transfers after 9/11. Under the rubric of homeland security police departments armed up significantly with vehicles, even helicopters, lots of M16, body armour, helmets etc. Since the US doesn't really have a prevalent domestic terrorism problem the goodies were put to use elsewhere - as in this case ... or more usually for drug related operations.

This vehicle on the pic is some variant of a Vietnam era army XM706, so it is probably also army surplus.

I googled a bit and reliably the Libertarians from the Independent institute provide some insight:
    The part I find absolutely hilarious is this:
    :D

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  10. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Ah, ok. That really doesn't look much like a tank, I guess the woman didn't have much experience with things like that . BTW, I also like how the guy from the sheriff's office said they had an appropriate amount of force because the guy might have been armed. Armed in his home in America? How shocking ;) . I wonder what would be the appropriate amount of force if they had a signal someone was peddling drugs - bomb the neighborhood to the ground?

Overall, it's an amusing story, but I'm not sure it will end so well for everyone involved. That Llovera guy got his place busted and his... roosters... killed, and I think someone might have to pay for that.

11. Ragusa

Media:
    That he got his roosters killed is just half that. He was earning his living with roosters and chickens. They destroyed a part of his livelihood with their merry folly.

12. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    So was he cock-fighting or not?

13. Taluntain

Media:
    Yea, among other things.

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    They had to go in with the heavy equipment in case there were any professional football players there.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Definitely not a tank. But seriously - this is Arizona - they must do cockfighting raids from time to time. I find it hard to believe that an armored vehicle, a bomb robot, and a SWAT team are in the SOP for busting a cockfighting ring.

I hope that the show is footing the bill for all this...

And what about the guy's house? Are you allowed to wreck a guy's house to arrest him and he has no means of recouping the losses? I think they could of at least knocked with a "come out with your hands up" message...

16. Taluntain

Media:
    They did knock... knock down the fence!

:lol:

17. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I've seen those vehicles used before, but they're normally reserved for genuinely serious situations where a threat has already been established. For example, a small town chief of police was shot outside a guy's house after having pulled him over as he was arriving home, and then the guy went inside and became a 'barricaded gunman.' They brought in a Sergeant from a nearby department and drove it into his front room. Nobody else was injured.

edit - Sorry, that was a different case. They called a vehicle in for the one referenced above but didn't use it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.