1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

art

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by The Fat Egg, Feb 13, 2001.

1. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] anyone here a fan of painting? what is your favorite artist?

yes i am a fan, and my favorite painter is either Rembrandt or Vermeer.

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I saw a painting of Raphael's madonna in the Hermitage in St. Petersburg! One of the most beautiful I've ever seen!

Also, I can't remember the artist, but in the Ruskii Musee, I saw two paintings by the same artist, one called "The wave" that he painted when he was younger, and another called "The ninth wave" that he painted when he was older. They were really powerful.

The first had a ship in a storm about to be hit by a huge wave....The second showed the ship, almost ready to sink, with sailor's hanging on...and sunrise about to come up, showing that they'd made it...Unfortunately, it's hard to put into words....

Egg - Have you seen them? Do you know who I'm talking about? If so, let me know. Thanks!

~Bel

3. Lo Guest

Sounds like Aivazovsky, sir Bel

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Thanks Lo! You were right! I found it! I thoight I'd share with the group: I think this one is called the Ninth Wave...I couldn't find the other...yet.

The story as I heard it, was that Aivazovsky had ha a pretty rough life. When he painted the "Wave" it was supposed to sybolize the huge obstacles he faced when he was younger. "The Ninth Wave" painted when he was much older (the painting on the link) was said to symbolize that fact that even though life gets stormy - hang on, don't give up...and you'll get through it.

I like this painting a lot...You can even see the sun beginning to peek through dehind the last wave!
    http://www.armsite.com/painters/aivazovsky/aivazovsky33.html

Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by Sir Belisarius (edited February 13, 2001).]

5. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I enjoy art a lot, though not enough to be called a fan I don't think. Anyway, I used to like to draw, and did quite a bit of good work(opinionated :D) a few years back. I'm thinking I should pick it back up again lately.

6. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think some of the best paintings in the Hermitage would be those of El Greco, his drawings of the apostles or the madonna, i also really like raphael as well.

7. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

M.C. Escher was an excellent artist. I don't think he painted, but he drew many mesmerizing optical illusions.

Though not famous for it, J.R.R. Tolkien showed some promise. I have a book that focuses on his art, and I was impressed by more than a few pictures.

Salvador Dali painted some great pictures, and I'm fighting to remember any more from high school. Which is funny, considering I spent nearly 40% of those years in the artroom!

8. Lo Guest

Dali, Monet, Kandinsky (I always misspel his name, how unpatriotic of me), Goya (once again sorry if this is the wrong spelling).

I find that I appreciate masters of many of the art schools, each of them has something to offer. Something unique and beautiful. I also try not to judge art because it was created by a famous artist, but on individual basis. Sometimes a picture done by somebody totally anonymous takes your breath away.
    I found this collection of amature RPG art accidentally while looking for a picture of an elf that looks like one of my friends. The bastard has the cutest pointy ears, and tells me he doesn't know what an elf is arghhh. I'm yet to find the pic that looks like him, but the collection is awesome, check it out: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/k/o/kozienko/kozienko.html

U might start with that artist, the quality of different artists varies, but browsing through that site was quite an experience.

[This message has been edited by Lo (edited February 19, 2001).]

9. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The only art that i have liked is gigers.

[This message has been edited by Septic Yogurt (edited February 21, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.