1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ascension mod?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by attackfighter, Jul 9, 2010.

1. attackfighter Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I heard it was made by a bioware employee and that it was ToB 'as it was meant to be'. Is this true? The description just says it adds some stuff to the end. Also what does WeiDu stand for (it's sometimes tagged onto the end of the mods name)? I'm intrested in installing it if it adds more gameplay, but if it's just harder fights or w/e I'd rather not...

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

'Weidu' means that the mod is new, easy to install and uninstall, that it has a self-installer for ease of use. Older mods do not have this, and are harder to install (you need to copy files to corresponding folders manually or need to use a game engine editor program etc.) and next to impossible to uninstall properly. Most new mods are in Weidu format now, you can try them easily.

As for Ascension mod, its other components beefs up the bosses of ToB, its core component 'ascension' itself seriously upgrades the final battle of ToB to an epic and memorable showdown. I always loved the ideas it implemented, and felt like such an epic game as BG2 deserves such a grand and awesome ending. The normal end-game battle seems minor compared to this. So yes, it is a difficulty enhancer mod for sure, not for the faint of the heart as there are many suprises and twists, but also adds great RP value to me, new dialogues and attractions are well made. Also, if you install Turn About mod (an add-on for Ascension) after this, it allows you more RP options and the result always brings a smile on my face, it is magnificent end-game, no less.

If you look for a more RP-oriented mod for ToB, I heartily reccomend 'Wheels of Prophecy' mod. It alters ToB part of the game so cut-out quests and paths are open now, so that it is not as linear and dreadful as the original, you get more options, new paths, you can even suspect you-know-who's motives and act on your own will, no longer a mindless puppet. It is a great mod and works well with Ascension too. Try it even if you prefer to skip Ascension.

If you are a first time mod user, be sure to read instructions on proper mod installation. You need official bioware patch, and then an unofficial fix pack (which is like a small mod on itself) and then you are ready to install any other mods you like. Most mods are coded to work like you have the official and unofficial patches, so this is mandatory.

Have fun, and if you still have any other questions, feel free to ask. Mods are wonderful and bring new and fresh air to an already superb game like BG2, making it one of the best gaming experiences of a life time. :thumb:

Caradhras likes this.
  3. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I have little dislike of spoilers so maybe I'm unusual that way and a reply should include that warning and/or option of hiding the text.

But what are some of the RP changes that go beyond Ascension?

Do your party member endings change at all (especially if you changed their alignments in some fashion?)

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

OK here are heavy spoilers for Ascension:

Ascension fixes the game so it grants you special Bhaal powers after each test in Pocket Plane, depending on your alignment. You also get more Bhaal powers in final battle, after liberating each energy pool.

It also fixes the game so Imoen gets her own dream sequences and grows Bhaalspawn powers, similiar like you did back in BG1, as she grows more aware of her essence and its effects, she gains some ability score bonuses too. This growing taint has a deeper effect at the final fight, see below.

You no longer have to kill Balthazar You can convince him to join your cause, but it is actually more difficult than killing him. (hence, RPing) :) If you succeed, he will fight by your side in the Throne of Bhaal final fight, not as a party member but like a summoned creature, abeit with excellent AI and abilities, he is good (and much needed) help!

Irenicus and Bodhi make a return before the final battle, you can convince her to abandon her brother to fight at your side, if you did not have Balthazar.

Imoen will be turned into Slayer during first fight with Irenicus&Bodhi by Melyssan, leaving your party and attacking you with Slayer powers. If she survives she can join your party again later. If she is killed, she is dead. (duh)

Final battle is totally revamped. Melyssan ressurects all of the five, (Balthazar too if he was killed) and they all fight your party! She is nearly a demi-god, after all and you need to fight smart to find her weakness (I won't give spoilers about the battle)

Like I said before, Turnabout is an add-on for Ascension, and imparts 'fair game' Since Melyssan has nasty helpers, so you can too, bending the essence of Throne of Bhaal to your half-god will! The mod allows you to reach out the soul of and ressurect a dead NPC companion after liberating each energy pool. You get to choose one NPC from two options it gives you each time. You can ressurect many old firends, Dynaheir, Tiax, Yoshimo, Khalid etc. and they have very nice interactions with corresponding party members (Khalid and Jaheira, especially if you are romancing her, and ofcourse Dynaheir and Minsc all memorable) In the last pool you get to choose between your mother (evil priestess of Bhaal) or foster father Gorion. (nice RP options and banters) These NPCs are high level and do not join the party but fight as summoned creatures, they have their own AI and fight to the best of their ability and use spells&powers intelligently, though you can command them if need be. They are invaluable help in the final showdown.

Sarevok will stil turn against you if you have failed to change his alignment like in the original game.

So the final battle is an epic, gigantic fight with an uber strong Melyssan and her five in their top form, and your party and allied and/or ressurected old/new friends or family. Simply the grandest and most memorable battle in all IE games, as it should be.

As for party member endings, they may be changed slightly, but you get Balthazar's ending if he has fought by your side and survived the onslaught.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  5. attackfighter Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks for the help, I decided to install Ascension and two mods that came recommended with it (redemption and turnabout). It's really hard though, the first fight was 10 times harder then Irenicus in SoA!

Also I uninstalled Wheels of Prophecy because there was a bug where I couldn't talk to those heads at the start.

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Weird thing about Wheels of Prophecy, have you tried talking all the heads in the groove? IIRC there was a sequence you needed to follow, you had to talk to the heads in a spesific order and you might have missed some of the never before used ones in the original game.

Yep, Ascension is difficult, but I hope you will like it. I have no idea about the redemption mod though, maybe you would like to share your impressions? :)

7. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Thanks for the heads up Silver.

Sounds neat, the only thing I would question is bringing people back in high-level form.

I'm not against the idea of bringing them back-if you can bring a few people back who are long gone then old friends (or adoptive family as with Gorion) sound like a great place to start. Its just that some of these people shouldn't be high level as they haven't spent ___ length of time adventuring with your party in order to both get stronger and better stuff.

I think the story would be interesting to have a conversation between Minsc, Dynaheir, and Aerie. I think all are good hearted enough that they would work something out but it just makes me curious.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well, original game does this too:

Sarevok is higher level when you find him at the very start of ToB and he has been dead for the whole BG2. So I guess it is justifiable.

Also, those NPCs are not at or near maximum level limit like your party at that point of the game. (can't remember their levels but they are not uber, have a few HLAs and they have standart +2,+3 stuff) They are not powerhouses, mostly distraction and help against big M, and though they play well with their AI given their limited resources and abilities, believe me that the opposing team can eat all of them alive, often I had to intervene to save their lives. (would be a shame to lose them again, eh?)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.