1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Taluntain, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Wow, no thread yet? I'll be seeing it shortly, but those of you who have already, what did you think?

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Did not see it in 3d but I enjoyed it anyways. Would have been cool to do the 3d thing but well, my local cinema is crap. As for the movie itself, it has been done before, many many many times but never this expensively or beautiful. Solid entertainment but really not much more.

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I'm not going to see it. The people I know who have seen it pretty much agree with Joacqin. I don't see the point in spending that much money to make something that only stands out because it looks good. I know that many people consider cinema to be nothing more than entertainment but there are others who believe that cinema is an art form in its own right. Judging from all the fuss about that movie it seems really vain and pointless. The hype is killing any interest I might have had in the first place. The problem with movies that are mostly about special effects is that they age rather badly. As good as it may look now it will probably lose some (if not most) of its appeal in a few years.

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

You should see it anyways, regardless of the hype. Even though the story has been done, Cameron did it really well; I laughed when he wanted me to, I (nearly) cried when he wanted me to. I was rolling my eyes at it until I actually saw it.

My dad compared it to when Star Wars was released - it will change the way movies are made.

I also saw it in IMAX 3D, which is probably the best way to see it.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I saw it in 3D. I liked it. But maybe was expecting too much from the hype. I have to say though that it does feel draggy at some points.

6. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Visually, it was increadibly impressive, especially in 3D IMAX. Plot wise, tehre were no surprises (in fact, I figured out pretty much the entire plot just from the comercials), but it was well done. I'm hoping sequels will have a more original plot.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Agreed. First time I saw the trailer I knew that it was Pocahontas but in the future and off-Earth.

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Going to see it today. I have low low expectations - despite so many people telling me that it's fantastic I just can't muster much enthusiasm for it. Still, we need to kill a few hours today, and by virtue of being extremely long and pretty much the only movie showing, we'll see this.

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just saw it in 3D today. Spectacular visuals, predictable story. Still worth it, though.

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Saw it last weekend. Pocohantas in space, yay.

Nice effects though and the Sigourney Weaver casting was cool given the Alien connection.

11. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Nice and shiny on the outside, hollow and dead on the inside. Effects were nice but the plot was pretty bad.

12. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, pretty much that. By halfway I was screaming END ALREADY.

I feel at least half the scenes were there to show off the pretty. They had no reason to prance around on those bloody dinosaur-dragon things for so long otherwise. OTOH, I didn't see it in 3D, so the effect is pretty lost on me.

13. Faye

Media:
    And whats with all the neon lights?? @_@

And the clumsy use of deus ex machina. Not impressed at all.

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

That was almost a really good movie.

The first half of it scratched one of my favourite genres, which is alien world/culture exploration. If it had've been just that, I would have been mightily happy. Unfortunately, they threw a superfluous plot over the top of the interesting stuff that included every bad cliche ever.

I couldn't help but laugh at the bit where Commander ******* does the escape the exploding ship routine. That was hilarious.

The literal deus ex was glurgh, but I didn't really care by that point.

Everything was just so heavy handed that it was painful - the foreshadowing, the strawman characters, the entire plot structure...
    The all humans are bastards trope was taken to such an extreme that I couldn't sympathise anymore - yes, humans may be bastards, but packing that many complete monsters together breaks suspension of disbelief. I dislike the humanity-self-loathing message that the director seems to have and the general grimdark nonsense that has to be forced to make it come across.

But yes - I did enjoy the alien world/culture exploration, and was coping with the rest until that was thrown out for a focus on things exploding and badass posturing.

15. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    That's one thing I forgot to mention. I liked the details about the alien culture/world. But I only liked them when they remained details: one of my favourite little parts was when the priestess rips out that dagger from her necklace and slashes her own tongue in that one deft motion. But in most cases they weren't details so much as shoved in your face, and in those cases it's predictable and groan-inducing (dinosaur/dragon scene...)

And as for culture, why the hell do aliens act like Indians?

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ditto.

The whole movie was an allegory of the American conquest of the Native American land and resources, with the twist being that the natives here won. Won in a ridiculously cheesy "now that we've won one battle we're banishing you and you'll surely never return" way, unfortunately. It could be proper fantasy with a bit more work, but the way that it's ended, you can't consider it more than a fairy tale... or an obvious cliffhanger.

Also, was it just me, or was the whole thing set up to appeal to the WoW crowd? I mean, I haven't even played WoW, but so many elements (even the colours) were familiar to me just from Warcraft 3 that it was a bit silly...

Oh, and "unobtainium"... :doh:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  17. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Well, yeah, I was being sarcastic. :p The movie to more than just American conquests though, it can be applied to any native oppression anywhere.

Also, according to Wiki, James Cameron is considering sequel possibilities if the first one does well, which it has.

As for unobtanium, that might actually be a really clever reference...

The depressing thing about the movie is that it's not unreasonable to presume that humans will act exactly like that when we find aliens: kill them and steal their stuff.

18. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That sums it up just right.

19. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I would have been much happier if the culture had actually been alien. Instead, it was a bad rip-off of a half-dozen native human cultures. On everything. They talk like them, dress like them, teach like them, act like them, their social structure is the same, the only differences are the tails and the wyvern thingys.

I groaned. I also groaned when the marine's "going native" thing included the typical "I no longer have a brain and can't remember anything meaningful from my previous life". You know, like combat tactics.

Actually, I thought that was more supported in the story. I'm a little confused as to why it waited until it's people were all wiped out, but at that point I didn't really care either.

I think it's easy to explain. You see, that wasn't really a human mining colony. It was really a human penal colony. That explains why 70% of the human cast were sociopaths perfectly! Odd to give them guns, but if there's no way off the planet it doesn't really matter.

As for the unobtainium, I groaned as well. No, I don't think it was a witty reference. I think it was someone trying to be witty for the sci-fi crowd and blowing it.

20. Faye

Media:
    The deus ex that I had problems with was:

the absolutely ridiculous convenience of letting them transfer consciousness into their Avatar for good. It felt so tacked on just because they didn't want to touch the issue of a human/blue-alien relationship ala mass effect.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.