1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Backstab and hide in shadows

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by elvenmage, Jan 16, 2005.

1. elvenmage Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have 2 questions. First of all i have an assassin and would like to know, how do you know you know when your backstab works succesfully? Will it tell you that you got the backstab bonus?

Secondly my assassin whom has 80 in hide in shadows and 80 in walk silently, or whatever that ones called. Anyway you get the point.
    Whenever there isn't a battle I hide in shadows pretty succesfully, almost every time. But in battle it's difficult for me to hide in shadows once I'm visible. Is there a reason for that?

2. Jathszu Khatharua Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

You must hide in shadows and then when you attack and make successful hit in your dialogue box you wil see 'backstab * damage'. Yes, you are in battle.

3. elvenmage Gems: 3/31

So when your in battle you can't repeatedly hide in shadows and backstab? You can only do it once?

4. Jathszu Khatharua Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

No you can't repeatedly hide in shadows and backstab.

5. elvenmage Gems: 3/31

I know once you backstab your not hiding in shadows anymore.
    Just to make sure I understand, after I leave shadows for backstabbing I can't hide in shadows again while in battle.

[ January 16, 2005, 04:41: Message edited by: elvenmage ]

6. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yes, you can hide again, using either an invisibility spell/potion. Alternately, you can just run out of the enemies' line of sight (e.g. Around a corner), and you can hide normally, only to run back into the fray for another backstab.

7. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

You can't hide in shadows as long as an enemy has line-of-sight to your character. If you run around a corner in the middle of battle, you can hide again. Also, you can backstab while invisible, so drinking a potion or using a ring will work. You can do those while someone has line-of-sight to your character.

Edit: If my wife hadn't distracted me, I would have gotten that up before Rednik! Grrr.

8. elvenmage Gems: 3/31

Thanks for the replies. I would like to know a couple of more things about the assassin. When do you increase the damage multiplier of your backstabs? The 15% ability points is it the same amount you get from the beginning or 15% of that?

9. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The 15% has nothing to do with the backstab, it's purely for skills.

The backstab simply increases every couple of levels , peaking at 7x towards the end of ToB.

10. San Ti Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

backstab is a really nice feat that thieves have, try to use a invisibility potion or have your mage cast on you improved invisibility spell and then attack to whoever you want!assasins by the way are on of my favorite classes in bg2

11. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

If you dual, or multi class with a mage, you can use the StaffOfMagi what makes you invisible...

So after the first backstab you have to change only to the SoM, than go away from the sight of the enemy, than change back to a weapon you can backstab with, hide in the shadow and go back for the next round :)

12. KaaH Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Assassin / Mage

Cast mislead out of sight of enemy, maybe add haste, impr. haste and hack away without the need to leave line-of-sight.
    If the mislead-clone is behind a door or far away from enemies, it can't be dispelled or true sighted; well, almost to cheesy

13. Deuce Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The Mislead tactic above works well, for fighter/mages. I put it to very good use on a whole pack of Drow once while soloing. Casting Tensor's Transformation after Mislead can help with the THAC0.

Note that with Staff of the Magi, you'll have to break contact and the Hide in Shadows. You can't backstab with the staff (since single class thieves can't equip it) and switching to a suitable weapon will kill the invisibilty.

14. elvenmage Gems: 3/31

My assassin won't backstab. He did it once in the tutorial but that was it? Does wearing armour prevent you from backstabbing? Can you backstab only with the dagger?

15. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Most armor imposes a penalty to backstabbing; the manual should have a chart showing the exact numbers. There are weapons that cannot backstab (mostly ones that make logical sense). Make sure you are behind the person--you can't backstab if they are facing you within about 120 degree arc. And, if you are still having trouble, make sure you are reading the text bar at the bottom of the screen. You may be failing your hide in shadows roll and not realize it.

16. elvenmage Gems: 3/31

My assassin has one proficiency slot for single weapon style. If I have two weapons equipped on one hand (one on each slot for the one hand) do I get any penalties to backstab? Do I get any other penalties? Will backstab still work? I checked the manual for the armour but I couldn't find it. Are there any penalties for studded leather armour? Can I backstab while my weapon is poisoned? The manual said that one of my special abilities is combat bonuses. What are they?

17. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Any equipment thief can use (without Use All Items) won't affect backstab, nor that you have many weapons in hand.You can't backstab with weapons not normally available to thief (trough multi-/Dual Class or UAI).

18. elvenmage Gems: 3/31

Can I use a short sword in one hand and a crossbow in the other slot and still backstab, as long as I have both slots on the same hand? What about the studded leather armour and the poisoned weapon while backstabbing?

19. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

You mean you have no weapon or sheild in your off-hand slot. You can backstab with the short-sword.
    Studded armor has no affect on your backstab abilities. You cant use thrown weapons to backstab either, backstab is possible only in melee.
    If you have a poisoned weapon, all the better.

20. elvenmage Gems: 3/31

I don't know which slot is the off hand slot.
    I was wondering if I have two different weapons on one hand and the other hand empty completely, if I would get penalties against my single weapon style or, if that would prevent my assassin from backstabbing. So then you can backstab with a poisoned weapon? If you poison a weapon and you use another weapon while the poisoned weapon symbol is on your portrait, will the other weapon still poison your oponents?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.