1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate (PS2) tech. prob, need help!

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Blue, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I got PS2 and Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance for Christmas. I've never had Playstation before, and have no experience with it, but I thought the games for PS2 were designed to fit perfectly, so there would be no technical problems with grafics?

Anyway, what happens is that my character comes to a certain place in the Sewers level 2, where the graphics (the surroundings) dissappear, and he runs in absoulute darkness. Creatures are still there, but if he tries to fight with them OR recall OR save OR do anything else, the game freezes and must be reset. Even if he doesn't do anything but run, it still freezes before he gets out of that room.

There is absolutely NO WAY for me to get any of the three characters in any difficulty mode past this particular place where the graphics break up. This starts at a pool with blue jelly cubes - sometimes I can manage to get the character to run past them and into a large room with green jelly blobs. But never further than that.

The surroundings go black and the game ALWAYS freezes in this room - and I've tried at least 50 times with ALL characters and ALL difficulty levels!

Please help me! Is this something wrong with the game disc, or is it the Playstation2, or is it my TV? Or is this a known glitch? What can be done with this? Are there any "patches" for this? Are we even supposed to have problems with graphics in PS2 at all, when the game is designed ESPECIALLY for that particuar game machine's requirements?

If this can happen to games in PS2, I guess I should never have tried this game platform at all.
    I'm totally confused and rather pissed off....

[ February 02, 2003, 10:39: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, I've got a PS2 and BG: DA too. I never encountered that problem, but it seems to me the problem lies with your ps2. You just bought it, right? Take it back to the store. With your guarantee, swap your ps2 for a new one. If the problem persists, call the sony hotline displayed in your manual. Also, is it a brand new game or is it a copied version, or an occasion? If it's an occasion, go complain in the store were you bought it. Does this solve your problem? ;) :D

3. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Thanks for your help. It turned out to be something with the game disk. The game was brand new from the store, and the disk was taken right out from the box and into the PS2 withtout even touching it. But when I took it out and examined it, there was ONE single cat hair (from my longhair cat) on the underside. I removed it, and now it works perfectly. Boy, this system is sensible! :p :shake:

[ February 02, 2003, 18:28: Message edited by: Blue ]

4. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

:lol: :lol: :lol: I know, it's very sensitive. Glad I could help.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.