1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Barbarian/Cleric for solo & other questions

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Big Kahuna, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Big Kahuna Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

So I really like playing the Baldur Gate series and the Icewind series in solo runs.

I made a run with a Paladin1/Sorcerer and got my butt handed to me by the Queen at the Icewall.

Then I just tried a run with a Fighter1/Monk1/Wizard and got whooped up on by the fire trolls at level 2 of the fortress.

So now I am thinking about trying a Barbarian/ Cleric solo.

Any advice ???????????????

Also I have been reading about players stacking spells, but for the life of me I cant figure out how to accomplish this manuever.
    Anybody with info on this?

And last question: Is the Rogue the only one that gets the "sneak attck" bonus? If a regular fighter were to attack an enemy from behind would he get that bonus also????

Thanks

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Use a 2-hander, summun undead regularly, fight from the second rank.

Only Rogues obtain the ability to Sneak Attack. You gain bonuses when attacking from the rear, but not sneak attack damage.

3. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

If you're playing solo, you MUST be able to dish both magical and physical damage. A Paladin1/Sorcerer gets both in massive quantities, as long as you don't forget SUMMON spells. That also pretty much removes their biggest weakness, being somewhat fragile in both HP and often times AC. All you need to keep the mobs swarming on you (instead of your summons) is a quick Invisibility spell.

In that regard, I don't see how a Barbarian/Cleric would be all that much different. They actually get the best summons already at caster level 5, although it takes a while before they get any serious magical AoE damage (clvl 9 to be exact). But why not Monk/Cleric instead? That way you can ALSO get extremely good Armor Class from the very beginning of the game.

4. Big Kahuna Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks for the replies.

I am putting my solo runs on hold for now.
    I started a duo run last night.
    Male Rogue, multclassed to fighter after two levels.
    Female Cleric at level three, mixed in one level of sorcerer so that
    I can use any spells I find, in the quick item boxes. And if I come across
    any wands I will be able to use them.
    Just finished with Targos, and going to head out and kill some Orcs.

I must say the Rogue is kinda fun to play, especially with sneak attack.
    Cant wait to see what he can do at the Fortress.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.