1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Barmy Army just bought a laptop, woo!

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Barmy Army, May 31, 2008.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
  2. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

[​IMG] You'll miss that extra GB of RAM :) Otherwise it looks very cute

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    How expensive was it compared to other similar laptops? When I bought my laptop a year ago, I could chose between a HP and a Vaio, they were the same in specs but the HP was 900 and the Vaio 1500 euros.

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    It was quite cheap for a Vaio of that spec, I found some with similar specs but they were also similar price... one or two were 'slightly' cheaper, but not by enough. I wanted a Vaio, so I didn't mind paying £50 extra for one :).

5. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Vaios are awesome, they have better quality components than other laptops, I reckon the extra price is worth it.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I was going to go on a rant about how overpriced Sony laptops are, then I saw the price and changed my mind :) It's a pretty good machine, and definitely worth it at this price. As for running new games, it depends what you mean by "new". The 8400M isn't exactly a beast of a card and while it will run just about anything, it will not run the more demanding at an acceptable frame rate without seriously toning down the settings. Don't expect to run Crysis on high settings if you want reasonable frame rates. Then again, for £600 you can't really expect a beast. I say for what it costs it's a very good deal.

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    Well, if I can run WoW, CoD4, Medieval 2 and FM08 on large database I'll be happy. Those are the only 3 games I really play. I'll probably buy Mass Effect as well soon though, so I guess I'll find out how it handles that! It is a good unit for 600 quid, I also had a voucher for 10% off so actually paid £539.99.

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Videocard might give problems. A 8400 I believe? Mass Effect? Yes it might run it whit a enough eye candy. but the next generation of games like Dragon age or Fallout 3? I hope so, but do not let me be negative about the pc. It is a good choice for the money. Those laptop feel and look great.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  9. Barmy Army

Media:
    A better card would mean a bigger price. I think for £540 that unit is pretty useful. It's a top end 8400... but still a 8400 I guess. I'll be happy if it scrapes through with CoD4 and Mass Effect. I've got my AMD6000+, 8600GT dektop for mega gaming :).

10. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Glad to hear, i tried to get some response on the bioware boards but got slapped in the face for being annoying.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.