1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bastard Swords

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Lord Sarevok, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Lord Sarevok Guest

Seems like these weapons were really shortchanged in SoA since you can't backstab with them, nor can you find anything other than a +1 bastard sword before the Underdark...

Hmm, can you think of any classes these would be good for? I'm thinking about making a Paladin who's going to specialize in Bastard Swords and Warhammers...I really wish they had made Daystar a Bastard Sword:(. Maybe a Kensai would be good with these since they do a tiny bit more damage than a long sword and still fit under one handers, thus the single weapon style AC bonus would apply.

2. zaknafein Guest

yeah why cant you backstab with bastard swords or long swords. why cant you just go up behind them and slam it in? anywhay thats beside the point. i would go for a kensai with that flamesword that the drow had. thats the only bastard sword i realy know so i guess thats not much help.

3. Lord Sarevok Guest

You can backstab with longswords and katanas, but not bastard swords...

4. zaknafein Guest

wow what have i been missing out on??? you can backstab with longsword. and i thought you could only do it with daggers, shortswords and katana's

5. Lord Sarevok Guest

You can backstab with any melee weapon the theif can use...even clubs and quarterstaves, as odd as that may sound...

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you have ToB and some patches it is not possibly to backstab with staffs. Hell I cant even backstab with ninja-tos! And imo that should be allowed.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    ...but since this forum is exclusively for BG2 without the expansion installed, it doesn't matter. Stick to the topic and don't discuss the changes ToB implements.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The reason I included ToB was that I wasnt sure if this was changed by a patch or by ToB. The only time I have tried to backstab with a staff have been in SoA and it did not work for me.

Back to the topic. There no really good bastard swords in SoA imo. The one you get in the underdark isnt that good and you get it so late so it dont really matter. I was really pissed off when I started my first char in SoA, import from BG1 where bastardswords ruled I put 3 stars in bastard swords and the best one I get that can matter is the +1 +3 against shapeshifters. I went with Katanas instead but I had wasted three slots on bastard swords.

9. Alienboy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

They worn you about the lack of magical katana's when they should be warning you about the bastard sswords agreed?

10. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Don't worry man. You haven't wasted those prof. slots. You will be happy about your choice later (esp. because you are a paladin (I wont say when, because this is the SOA forum :D ))

11. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I disagree with the latest post. Bastard Sword is not a good choice even for a Paladin who plan to continue with ToB. Carsomyr is still the best.
    Yes, you might both play a Paladin and bring Keldorn along, but it's not very nice to bring Keldorn along if you're a Paladin yourself. Keldorn has other duties. ;)

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Jhor the Bleeder not that good?! That was my favorite sword after I found it. I can't tell you how many Drow fled from me only to fall over dead from the bleeding damage... Very amusing :)

13. eviltb Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hang on, you did say why cant you backstab with a bastard sword?? Do you know how big bastard swords are!! You might as well ask why cant I backstab with a polearm!! If your after a good weapon, try the ShortSword of Backstabbing, +3 THAC0 & dmg which cant be half bad.......

14. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't realy like Bastard Swords...
    I love dual wielding and I don't think dualwielding goes with Bastard Swords, I think they are to big for that. I think a Bastard sword goes best with a shield, but that's just a Role playing issue. :)

About the backstabbing: A club would be cool for rogues. Sneak up to a person, whack your club on the right spot of his neck and temporary knock down a person...what's the word again?

15. Lord Sarevok Guest

I'm not looking for the best weapons. Screw the holy avenger! With a few magical items you can get 50% magic resistance or at least near it. The Holy Avenger sets it to 50% so unless you like requiping all of your magical items every time you switch areas, you can't get more than 50% with it.

Also I always thought Bastard Swords and Warhammers were more traditional Knight/Paladin weapons.

I wasn't planning on dual wielding either, I was going to use a Shield.

There are actually 4 different magical bastard swords found in the underdark:

1. Blade of Searing +3, +1 fire damage

2. Jhor the Bleeder +2, 2 extra hp damage done per round until a total of 10 damage done, detect invisibility once per day

3. Albruin +1, +3 damage instead of +1, immunity to posion, detect invisibilty once per day

4. Taragarth +2, 50% fire resistance, non-detection

Hmm, actually I'm not sure about going for Warhammers, since I'd probably end up always using Crom Faeyer, and the point of picking bastard swords is to use them. Can anyone think of a better proficency to spend points on besides Warhammers, but that aren't as good as bastard swords? I'm trying to pick a weapon I'll use until I get to the underdark, where all of the good bastard swords are located.

16. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] I like bastard swords; as Blackthorne says, Jhor the Bleeder is great. It was Gerald the berserker's main grunt slaughtering tool throughout SOA and it is (I think) available before the Underdark. Beholders, drow, mind flayers and many other tough non-boss enemies fell before its gnarly edge. Plus, it looks cool with its purple hilt and barbed blade; the perfect weapon for your seminal bhaalspawn nosher. Just dont take it as your only weapon as the highest THAC0 bonus you'll get from a bastard sword is 3, and thats only if you thrash the beefy drow pit fighter in the Ust Natha tavern (not easy if your fighters are low level). Three proficiency points at most is all you need, and two would do just fine.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited January 12, 2002).]

17. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Bastard Swords are physically pretty large. On top of that, if you compare then to other swords, such as Long Swords or Scimitars, the speed factor is longer. Most people opt for the Long Swords because the 2 extra possible damage points aren't worth the extra time to hit with a Bastard sword. Look compare the stats of a Bastard sword and a Long Sword. You'll see the difference.

18. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Yeah, but if you're a fighter and have a decent amount of proficiency slots in bastard sword the speed factor should drop considerably. True, the long sword is still faster, but IMHO Jhor the Bleeder is worth a slightly lengthier swing.

19. Black Rose Guest

This whole bastard sword stuff sounds interesting...

I think I'll make a new char and try to play him through the game...

Party Configuration:

Dungeon- PC, Imoen, Jaheira
    Up to Spellhold- PC, Jaheira, Jan
    Spellhold On- PC, Jaheira, Jan, Imoen

The char will be an Elven Kensai. With *** in Bastard Swords, ** in Single Weapon and * in something else.. not sure yet. Maybe Long Sword or Flail?

20. Lord Sarevok Guest

Yeah, Bastard Swords are inferior to Long Swords, but if they had added a few more good magical ones, I might be willing to overlook this. But of course they didn't making bastard swords an even worse pick. I'd just like to try something different for a change. Holy Avenger all game, been there, done that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.