1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Battle Realms

Discussion in 'Playground' started by nior, Apr 18, 2002.

1. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

anybody ever played battle realms. is it good and worth buying?

2. total Guest

Dont buy it, it sucks! Play starcraft and wait Warcraft III. Cant explain, but that is true!

Edit: The game has four sides, you can play them all. Each player can have very low limited number of units (~40 ?) and all units are gained like this: if you have few units you gain them faster, and if you have 39 of them, yu must wait a while, than when you have peasant (basic unit, you gain peasants and then you train them or put them to work) you can tran him in one of three buildings (~ archery range, ~ barracks, ~ mage guild) that are same for all sides, but are called differently, and you send them to fight. There are few support units but are not worth mentioning (medic). Playing the game you spent most of the time training your units and when you come to 35 of them, send them to battle and you can forget about them (you can control them, but it all comes to numbers) and you concentrate on making new ones!

Phew!

See ya! :wave:

[This message has been edited by total (edited April 19, 2002).]

3. nior Gems: 24/31

too late, i just bought them. but it's okay, it only cost me two dollars. :)

i play it just as a reliever. just so i don't get bored with baldur's gate 2.

nice graphics though. i think the idea of having horses is cool.

[This message has been edited by nior (edited April 26, 2002).]

4. total Guest

You are lucky, i paid it more. Yes graphic is nice and like that horses idea, but i will ask you next week are you still playing, i dont think it has much playability! I have tried all sides and liked Dragons the most. Ronin is good.

5. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] I bought it when it came out after i heard about on an american site. The ideas behind it is sound, i like the ideas of a peasant training up differently to become different units and the graphics are just wow :love: !!
    But as already said the actual game is not really worth it. While everything i cool the dificulty level is high (for me at least) and when you get stuck it is no fun. I like the hero units and battle gear but the battles are far too hectic. They look great but this has to be the only game where i have told my units to not attack and moved them out of sight of the enemy only to have them run over and get slaughtered and when i want them to attack they just stand there :flaming:

6. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Nior: Where'd you get it for 2$?

7. nior Gems: 24/31

slimshogun,

in this part of the world (i'm in asia). software piracy (games in particular) is still tolerated. you can buy them off the streets (literaly) or even in the shopping malls for $1 dollar per cd... and that is any game (if you're lucky, you might get it for $0.50 per cd). no manuals, no box, just jewel case, cd, and a 3 days warranty (you can return/replace it if defective. warranty may differ as vendor may move to another street the next day. :D ) otherwise, everything is pretty much at your own risk. they are pretty reliable though.

for those who supports anti-piracy, sorry about that. i support anti-piracy for music and videos though. :)

[This message has been edited by nior (edited April 26, 2002).]

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Now THAT'S an interesting attitude. What makes computer games different than music or videos in your opinion?

9. nior Gems: 24/31

blackthorne ta,

i'd like to correct myself, it's $2 per cd - i made a mistake with the currency conversion.
    regarding my interesting attitude towards music/vidoe and software piracy issue. first you have to know these:

1. i love music very much, and i don't mind spending for the best.
    2. i also love movies, but i only buy ones that i truly enjoy watching over and over again.
    3. i love computer games but i seldom play them again if i have stop playing it (in fact i can remember only playing two games after not playing them for more than a year or more, and these are games from the late 80's).

what's the difference between software and music/video here, where i live:

(prices are converted to US$):

1. original music cd have a standard price of $7.50, while $5 for less popular artists and $9-$14 for premium/double cd. original vcd's ranges from just about the same but may actually fall to $3 during sale (bargain) periods. pirated copies cost about $2 dollars per cd. (i got bruce willis' armagedon for only $5, while russel crowe and mel gibson's gladiator and the patriot were selling for $4, all original)

2. softwares, i have to categorize that into 2 divisions, games and none-games. original copies ranges from $40 to several hundreds $ (for application softwares that requires multiple user license agreements). for none-games, i don't mind buying the original, that's because i only buy o.s., programming softwares, msoffice, virus cleaners, the "productive" type of software. these products are being monitored by their own local distributors. pirated copies are likewise $2 per cd.

3. original american/european games on the other hand cost around $40 to $60 while pirated copies cost $2 per cd. as i have mentioned earlier, i only play a certain game for a certain period of time. if i stop playing it for over a year or more, i will never play it again (it's just me, ok). so i see no point in buying a $50 game just to play it for about 6 to 8 months. and nobody's gonna buy it from me either. and nobody here gives a damn about monitoring pc game piracy.

4. i have mentioned american/european original games earlier because i did saw original chinese (china including h.k. and taiwan) games cost only around $8 to $20. and i'm not from any of those country. here, no originals just pirated copies, cost $2 per cd, but each cd is composed of at least 10 different games, and i think anybody would be able to find at least a third of it are worth the time playing.

5. music/video cd's, i still listen to music cd's which i have bought over a decade ago (and if you saw my cd collection, you would think that i just bought then last week, that how much i love music). and still watch my old vcd's.

but basically, i see no difference. piracy is piracy, but compared to the US$, our currency here is very small, so it's just a matter of budget or practicality. i do hope you understand me.

[This message has been edited by nior (edited April 29, 2002).]

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Heh. Do you realize that people elsewhere around the world pay the full price for non-RPGs that have the average play time of about 20-30 hours or less at best?

You really crack me up. Not wanting to pay for "just" 6-8 months of play. Now there's an interesting way of looking at it. How much more play time can you actually expect from a single game? Would 5 years do? Ehh... Get real.

Piracy is piracy no matter how you try to justify it. Games are not cheap anywhere in the world, so saying that they're expensive where you live has no meaning. They're expensive everywhere. If they're bought legally, of course.

Now, I'm not saying that the prices are justified or anything like that, but I am saying that if you pirate all of the software at least don't pronounce it on public forums, since we are (for obvious reasons) against it.

11. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Tal, have you ever downloaded a song via napster, morpheus, kazaa, etc.?

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Only when Napster was still around. But at least I don't try to justify it by any means. It was stealing on a world-wide scale so nobody was bothered much about it. (Except some of the artists.)

But that's not the issue here. Open a new topic in Whatnots if you want to turn it into a debate, I won't start one here.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.