1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Battlestar Galactica

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Llandon, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Did any of y'all catch the series premier of Battlestar Galactica on SciFi last weekend? Or are any of you Brits catch the series (since it premiered in the UK months ago)?

I've been a science fiction fan for most of my life, but when the SciFi channel originially played the new "Galactica" mini-series in December of 2003 I was completely and utterly not interested. But...I was having a drink with a friend and was flipping through the channels and just happened upon it at the beginning, and was completley impressed. I was elated when the news came that it had been picked up as a series, and it finially premered this past weekend.

If you've seen this show, please tell me what you think.

If not...SEE IT. The mini-series is now on DVD, and the series just premeired this past weekend, and I think SciFi will be showing the new episodes sometime again this week. The series comes on in the US on Friday night at 10:00pm EST.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I bet it's not as good as the original. It couldn't be the same without Apollo, Starbuck, and Adama. The original Battlestar Galactica rocked. Go that ragtag fugitive fleet!

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Apollo, Starbuck and Adama are in it. Though I think Starbuck and Boomer are now women. :)

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Starbuck and Boomer are women?! How ridiculous. That would be like turning Anakin into a girl in the next Star Wars movie.

What about that robotic dog? Is he in it? Didget or Widget or whatever his name was.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've only seen bits of it (and I'm not sure if it was the mini-series or the new series), but I didn't see any robotic dog.

Also, Starbuck, Apollo and Boomer are call signs for the pilots in this new series, but weren't they the pilots' real names in the original? I can't remember.

6. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Yes, many of the original characters are in the new mini-series/series.

Yes, Starbuck and Boomer are women.

Yes, Starbuck/Boomer/Apolo are all "call signs" now, the characters have actual names. Apolo is Lee Adama.

Thank god there is no robot dog.

The new show blows TOS out of the water. It could be the best science fiction series since Star Trek TNG.

7. Harbourboy

Bah. Grumble. Not like the good old days. What have they changed about the cylons then? They probably have meetings with them to discuss issues rather then just blasting them into oblivion. Bring back the real Adama - he'd sort out these upstarts!

8. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Hee hee. I have never seen the new series, but I asked my friend, who has, if it was true that Starbuck was a woman. He replied something along the lines of; "Ah yes, I had forgotten why I didn't watch it anymore." As Mr Harbour Boy has said, its ridiculous, and also, without a Dagget, I refuse to watch it.

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I saw the first two episodes, and it's head and shoulders above TOS, to say nothing of "Enterprise" and "Andromeda".

It has quite a bit of potential. Here's hoping they don't cancel it after thriteen episodes (Crusade & Firefly, anyone?).

10. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Trust me, WATCH IT.

It is different than TOS, in a much better way. Yes, there is no robot dog. Thank god.

It is a much more "adult" scifi show. Based more on drama and less on technobabble.

The mini-series (Pilot episode) is now on DVD and you can probably rent it. It's 4 hours long, and really does a good job of setting up the series.

Here are some quick reviews of the show:

The Hollywood Reporter says:
    For character-driven, hard-edged science fiction, the return of "Battlestar Galactica" can't be beaten. Where the original series cruised in with campy derring-do, this re-imagining of the franchise is "space noir," with actors playing it for high, realistic stakes. Old fans of the series may be a mite disappointed at the changes, but this fast-paced, tense and dramatic hourlong has plenty of choice rewards for viewers and upholds the smart promise of the 2003 miniseries. … The visuals and sound effects are extremely cool, with spaceships rendered as both sleek and dangerous, and the noises of fast-moving fighter ships toned down from the high-pitched whines of the original series. Characters Lee "Apollo" Adama (Jamie Bamber), who is the commander's son; Kara "Starbuck" Thrace (Katee Sackhoff); and Colonel Tigh (Michael Hogan) are all generously dysfunctional and fun to follow.

Variety says:
    Niftily picking up where the 2003 miniseries left off, the new franchise provides solid storytelling … Those who don't frequent Internet chat rooms have missed much of the off-screen drama surrounding "Galactica's" voyage, with plenty of overheated bleating from fans of the original that has gone a long way toward giving sci-fi nerds a bad name. Fortunately, producers of the new show have mostly tuned out the static and stuck to their guns, crafting a very adult series whose principle shortcoming is being almost unrelentingly grim -- though not inappropriately so, given the subject matter. … in terms of top-notch sci-fi fare on a budget, this impressive new vessel flies well beyond its predecessor.

The Los Angeles Times says:
    … all of the characters and relationships are deepened in the new show. Far more serious in tone, Sci Fi's "BG" greatly improves upon the bad scripts and wooden acting of the original show (which, admittedly, is part of its charm for some people). The show could use a little more humor, and that may come as supporting players step into more prominent roles, but the first several episodes bode well for a series that should eventually win over fans, old and new.

USA Today says:
    Those looking for a more exciting space-adventure alternative to Enterprise should be thrilled by the series return of the hit miniseries Battlestar Galactica … revival of the late '70s show — considered camp now, and lousy then. There's nothing camp about this darker, smarter, morally ambiguous update, which again follows the survivors of a sneak Cylon attack as they try to save humanity and find Earth. … The show stresses the sex a little too aggressively, the better to pull in teen boys. Nevertheless, this promising show is more the heir to Farscape than the old Battlestar, which is all for the best.

The Arizona Republic says:
    … takes itself very seriously. It is the most ambitious science-fiction series since The Twilight Zone. … Friday's series opener is as compelling a piece of suspense and human drama as anything on the major networks. …

The Boston Herald says:
    … could end up being one of the best sci-fi television outings ever … An intelligent, attention-demanding, character-driven show, it marks a maturing of the sci-fi series genre. … it's the dense narrative and impressive cast that stand out. The episodes aren't neat little ``Trek'' allegories or tidy ``Stargate'' shoot-'em-ups. The series is more like a sci-fi ``The Big Red One,'' moving through the real and sometimes small emotions and personal interplay of life under close-quarters duress. Crises often play out over multiple episodes of the continuing story line. Sometimes this makes the pacing feel off and the tone flat - until an episode or two later you realize the story was building to some ingenious surprise. This is a show that takes its time and challenges its audience, which is as welcome as it is rare. …

The San Jose Mercury News says:
    … [the miniseries] caused a huge uproar among fans of the original who seemed to have forgotten just how bad the show was. … now back as a weekly series -- and quite a good one … far darker, a good deal scarier and a whole lot sexier than the original. … loaded with surprisingly strong stuff, including provocative takes on terrorism and the politics of genocide. The special effects are unexpectedly good. And the acting … is light-years better than in the original.

Newsday says:
    … the new version from producer Ronald D. Moore more than fulfills the promise of his miniseries smash of a year ago. … This is no video game …

People Magazine says:
    … there’s more than enough action to keep the show from getting preachy … Unfortunately, the Jan. 21 episode suffers from guest-star casting of Richard Hatch (Apollo in the ABC original), who seems rather rusty as a supposedly charismatic rebel. …

11. Harbourboy

Not really sci-fi nerds. We're more like over-nostalgic grumpy old men desperately trying to cling to the good old days in ever changing and increasinly scary 21st century.

Well, why didn't you say so to start off with! Now it sounds like a must see!

12. Fara Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

There is so much sex in the new Battlestar Galactica -- I'm speaking only of the miniseries at this point, since I don't know when the series itself is on (if somebody could enlighten me as to this fact, I'd be very grateful) -- that I'm surprised the show isn't banned in the entire south-eastern US.

But sex aside, from what I've seen, and by that I mean the miniseries, I'd say that those reports in Llandon's post are right on the money. I also think that people should give it a chance to prove itself, or disprove itself, rather than basing your opinions on the words of some men - women, too, to be fair -- whom you've probably never met.
    But then, these very words are from a girl you've never met (at least I don't think I've every met any of you), and ultimately, the choice is of course yours.

But I, myself, think the new version is excellent.

13. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

It's on Scifi at 10:00 on Friday Nights. It also is re-broadcast at 10 on Monday.

There is a bit of sex in the show. Which I find refreshing. But then again I live in the South-Eastern US. LOL

14. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I was never really a huge fan of the original series but I was still disappointed by this new series. It took me until the first episode of the mini-series was almost over to get interested and the second was something of a disspointment again. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be watching any more of it. Even with it being a bit more sexed-up.

15. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Well it's already been picked up for a second season. And they are going to make 20 episodes this time, not just 13. To top things off, the second season starts filming next month, and will premere this summer!

It's been SciFi's top series, and has gotten some great reviews.

I think it's the best science fiction show that I've seen in years. It's everything that I had hoped Enterprise would be, and wasn't.

16. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    It's the best thing since Farscape went off the air, certainly.

17. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I'm an avid fan of the new BSG, which I think rocks hard, and no I am not a nerd. Although, considering I'm posting on a video game board, you can't really take my word for it. It is a great show, albeit confusing at sometimes, because I never saw the old one, or the miniseries.However, I really do enjoy the show!

And since when do second seasons start three months after the first one finishes? Thats awkward, to say the least. But at least I won't get too impatient.

No, honestly, it's good. Really good.

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Er, this is the first season. There was a miniseries, but no other season :)

19. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

I think he's talking about the 2nd season.

BSG has been renewed for seson 2. It starts filming in March, and is schedueled to air THIS SUMMER.

I doubt that it will air in June which would be 3 months as of tomorrow...but more likely in July or August.

I can't wait.

20. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Ooooh. Hadn't known that. Very good news.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.