1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Beholders in UnderDark

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by KRaK6, Oct 21, 2001.

1. KRaK6 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Is it worth going through that massive Underground network of Carverns full of Beholders, cause it looks quite Hard? I killed the first lot when u enter and got a bit of the Great Equalizer, but do i have to go through all those Beholders?

2. Doomfarer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

No, not if you don't want to. The Elder Orb in the first room has the items you'll need, the rest is just bonus.

Minor spoiler...

There's a cape/cloak in the fish-village that makes this cave (and beholders in general) really easy to beat (except for Elder Orbs and their Imprisonment spell).

3. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

It is not necessary as far as the story line goes; once you have the eye stalk you can leave. You would, however, miss out on a number of goodies.

4. KRaK6 Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Cheers Guys!

5. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Not to mention a ton of experience and the satisfaction of walking back through the tunnels surveying the beholder mincin' carnage you've just wreaked :D

6. Laertiades Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Like they said, it's not necessary, but the exp is worth it, and it’s fun, they already gave you the spoiler, just equip your best fighter with the cloak of reflection and have your mages and clerics cast some protection spells on him, then from far away shoots a delayed fireball (or 2 cloud kills) and walk in with your fighter. I was playing a Monk, just walked in there and killed everything without breaking a sweat (after having half of my party wiped out the first time I walked in there of course :)

7. icarusX Gems: 1/31

I just through on the Cape of Mirrors onto my lvl 18 monk and busted them up one on one.

Elder Orbs are trickey... stupid imprisonment spells...

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

either cast spell immunity: abjuration on your character, or use a scroll that protects from magic to avoid all those nasty imprisonments

9. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

IIRC, there is only one elder orb in the whole place, the one you run into in the first "room." I don't know what your party composition is, but I just had everyone wail on him immediately and he was toast in about three seconds. Easy as pie.

10. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Well, there is in fact another Elder Orb (who even likes to cast Imprisonment) in a dead end on the east side. He's one mean Beholder. The funny thing about the Beholder Lair is my first game I missed getting the cloak in the Underwater City, so I cleared out the whole place without it. It can be done, but boy is it hard. So if you want a good challenge, loose the cloak ;).

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Apropos challenge: I ply an elven archer and took the cloak and intended to clean out the beholder dungeon solo (bracers of lightning strike or so -> 7 missile attacks per round). I am very happy that the cloak of reflection is not *that* overpowered - it only reflects damage-attacks back to the attacker but *not* spells like hold and stun :D This can be a disadvantage too :D My archer is an elf .... so (due to his poor saving throws) he spent more tome as a pretty statue than fighting ;)

So I sent in my glorious mc fighter-mage to save his ass. She got first stunned and then petrified :D She's an elf too ....

Finally I found dear Mazzy taking the challenge and cleaning the dungeon alone with tansheron's bow, 4 attacks per round and her shortsword +2 (the one that gives free movement) .... so actually: It is possible without shield of balduran and the cloak :D Halflings rock :love:

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited October 22, 2001).]

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

the shield of balduran will negate all beholder ray effects like stun/hold, but the cloak will deflect non-beholder rays too

i tried not using either once, and it involved a lot of draw them out and run

13. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I did it without the cloak or the shield. Difficult, but doable. The big experience makes it worthwile. Plus, I can't stand leaving something unexplored.

14. Xuncle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Xuncle's Strategy on Slaying Beholders (and Mind Flayers):

Undead and Invisible Stalkers are immune to everything (except being bitten) that beholder's can throw at them. So conjure them up and send them in (with a stealthed attendant so you can see what they are doing and direct them).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.