1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Berakelkin

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by zaknafein, Jan 18, 2002.

1. zaknafein Guest

in a small area halfway between Gullykin and Nashkel east of the tradeway is a few mountains that have rich veins of iron in them. a group of ten miners from Nashkel have been sent there to start a small mining and farming town. they quickly made some small structures and sent messengers to each of the nearby citys with offers for cheap land and mercanaries to protect them from the ogre's in the area. So far the town consists of the 10 miners of nashkel, 2 halflings from Gullykin and 5 people from Beregost. There are five houses, a tavern and a mine. The offer for cheap land and good pay for mercenaries is still standing and anyone who wants to live here is welcome. For any adventurers there is a fine offer as well. There are plenty of raiding ogre's that have to be pushed back, deep caves that lead a long way underground and the occasonal zombie from Ulcaster. The settlement is set in a small area between two mountains and a sheer cliff. (people with BG know what im talking about.) So come to the the town of Berekelkin and find your fortune. Just talk to mayor Yolodo in the central building to find your fortune today.

Now that the advertising is done this is a RP town that will grow depending who comes. say if tonnes of evil people come they could take over and desroy everything in their path or a group of good people come and the town helps others and the like. It is sort of like the dusty dwarf tavern except its a city not a tavern (but it does have a tavern.) As already said, there should be plenty of things to do.

IC: "Heh Ludwick!" a miner called to the bartender, "Any news on mercenaries. the ogre's are getting closer to the mine and a kobold almost killed the halflings."
    "I heard that a few were comeing in later on today. Anyway, why don't you go and pester Yolodo with this, everyone has to see him anyway."

OoC: if anyone has any intentions of entering now would be a good time. As for a genral layout of the area. The mayors house is in the middle of the circle of five houses with the tavern to the west of the village. There are two mountains north and a cliff south. The main rock for mining is northeast of the town. to the west is the tradeway. if you own baldur's gate then you can access this area. its where a palidin sent you to kill the half-ogre's.
    this is the first thing like this ive done so dont be too critical

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

OOC: Lol I used some guy's hobbit character generator to get my halfling's name, based on my name. Here's the link: http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/

Also, great idea Zaknafein, but what is the time frame for this? Shortly after the events of BG1? And what is the tavern's name?

Ok here's my character and his arrival in Berakelkin:

Todo Gamgee, a youthful halfling had heard of the new town of Berakelkin and decided to come check it out. He was hoping to convince his girlfriend, Ivy Peatfingers, of moving from Gullykin to this new mining town. Besides, he wouldn't mind placing a bit of distance between himself and his soon-to-be-in-laws. Not to mention that he was a good shot with a sling, and wanted an adventure.

So one mid-summer day, Todo packed a few things and told Ivy he was going to be gone for a few weeks, to do some shopping for a surprise he had for her.

She wasn't thrilled about his leaving, especially three months before their wedding, but she couldn't convince him otherwise. And then there were Todo's parents, Dimple and Lobelia Gamgee. They weren't too thrilled either.

But his uncle, Hamson Gamgee, was excited that Todo was setting out on a trip all by himelf. So he took the young lad downstairs in his hut and opened up an old chest. Todo's eyes gleamed at the sight of the shiny short sword that his unlce pulled out of the chest. "For you, young Todo. Many adventures I had with this blade when I was your age. Use it well and stay safe."

"I will Uncle Hamson, thank you." Todo liked the feel of the short sword, it was just the perfect weight.

The next day he said goodbye to friends and family in Gullykin and headed towards Beregost, at least that's what he told everyone. He knew his real destination: the new mining town of Berakelkin.

His trip was uneventful save for asking for directions from a few farmers. Well, there was this encounter with a wild dog. But Todo didn't stick around long enough to find out what that was all about. He had chucked a slingstone at it and run.

When Todo arrived at Berakelkin, he was pleased with what he saw. It was no Beregost, that's for sure, but that's not what he wanted anways. He had only been to Beregost once with his family, and had decided it was too populated for him.

Todo looked around, and thought this would be a great place to live with his new wife, Ivy. He might even be able to convince his parents to move there as well. He approached the mayor's house to inquire about settlement.

3. zaknafein Guest

Ooc:its set some time after TOB's over and done with. hmm 5 years sounds good.
    When the halfling entered the mayors house at the centre of the town the mayor said to him. "Welcome small sir how may I help you? Oh why do I even bother asking your here with a sword right so you must be huntin ogre's. For tempoary stays head off to The Ogre's Kneecap and stay there or talk with the other halflings around to see if you can go in with them or buy some land now or later and get a house built. Oh excuse my manners fine sir my name is Yolodo the Mayor and you are?"
    OoC: anyway as you already know the places name is the ogre's kneecap

[This message has been edited by zaknafein (edited January 25, 2002).]

4. Khazar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hi everyone I thought this was a great idea so I just had to be part of it here's my character and background:

Khazar, as he is known by his companions is a well spoken individual, (being a half-elf it sort of comes naturally to him) he is also very inquisitive and was especially intrigued by the rumours floating around in the Friendly Arm Inn of a new settlement just off from Beregost.

His past is very troubled from the time he was born to the present.

His mother was a well-respected mage up until barbarians raided her village and imprisoned her in their town up in the Spine Of The World Mountains. Whilst she was imprisoned she met an elf ranger who was nothing short of a hero himself but had been overwhelmed by a barbarian raiding party and was thrown into their fighting pits. His name was Khazarad and although he was an incredible fighter and won well over eighty pit fights he could not save himself from his inevitable execution. It was in the cells that they both met and fell in love with each other. They became very close and ended up creating the fine example of a hero that is now standing before the sign of the Ogre's Kneecap.

Khazar is currently studying in three forms of main practice including fighter skills, spell casting and the finer side of thievery (i.e. finding/laying traps and stealth). Thus making him what many call a Fighter Mage Thief.

After hearing the rumours in the Friendly Arm Inn, Khazar was intrigued as to what exactly the miners in the south had made out of the land east of Beregost and so he ventured down there...

ic: Khazar studied the obviously rushed notice pinned up on the wall outside of the Ogre's Kneecap and decided that if they need someone to help settle and defend the place then he was their man.

Khazar entered the fairly average looking structure in the centre of the hamlet presuming it was the mayor's house the notice had mentioned. He walked over to the two characters chatting in the room, covering up his longbow and the, upside down double Katana hilts by his hips, with his cloak, and hiding the scar down his left cheek with his hood.

'Ho there friend!' Khazar called to the important looking figure talking to a Halfling.

'Sorry to intrude, but if I am correct in presuming that you are mayor Yolodo then I wish to see you about a small business proposition'.

ooc: I hope this was ok for my second post ever in a forum-based adventure.

[This message has been edited by Khazar (edited March 07, 2002).]

5. Ashila Daergel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] TeewsmaI didn't like the village where she lived at all, you can even say she hated it. She hated it even more than her parents, of whom she thought they were to soft, to sweet. Her parent were nobles, and had loats of money, that they gave to her, and everyone else that asked for it. But she thought they didn't gave her enough, she had just reached adulthood, and her parents thought that she had to learn the value of money, and stopt spoiling her.
    Everyone in her village always said they wanted the best for her, and expected her to be nice to them too. She didn't have any problem with people working for her... but she loathed their kindness.
    When she heard of the fights near Berakelkin she decided she wanted to join. Eventually she wanted to join the bad guys, but after having thought about it she decided that it was smarter to join the good guys: payed better.
    She left her home inmedeately without telling anybody and headed for Berakelkin. She came there without any problems, walked straight to the inn and walked in. She saw the people looking at her, maby it was because of her looks, she thought.
    She had black eyes and black hair, even more black than you could ever imagine. She was long and slender, and had a very impressive look, because of her being elf. Right above the middle of her two eyes she had a little blue simbol that seemed to glow a little. In her hand she held a wooden very nice carved quaterstaff and stood fier and full of self confidence.
    She tapped the weasel that she had in her glittering silver/blue cloak and thad tried to stick is head out of it, pushed it back and asked 'hey, any adventurers here?'
    ooc: hi everybody, want to join too. Only my second forum-based game, hope it was right.

[This message has been edited by Ashila Daergel (edited January 28, 2002).]

6. zaknafein Guest

OoC: oh whats this? people are actually answering my post? wow. anyway out of general interest how did the child Khazar escape the barbarians? if you have no idea dont wory about it. and ill edit this later and add more.
    "Oh excuse me for a minute my halfling friend, it seems that another adventurer has graced my town with his presense this day. Yes i am indeed Yolodo and i welcome you to the town. I am sorry but i am a bit caught up with my halfling friend here. maybe you could wait in the Ogre's Kneecap for a while and meet the locals? Oh i forgot again! who may you be?

7. Khazar Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] ooc:I did not post the whole story it is way too long but the short of it is that he was rescued by a mage and was brought up by him as a mage inturn for theiving magical valubles from nobles. So he learnt to fight from the barbarians/magic from his mentor/and theivery form his mentor aswell.

Would it be possible to make a map of our humble village on a website so that it could get updated as new residents settle in?
    Oh and a rumours or quests board would be ideal. :)

ic: "Sorry friend my name is Khazar please do not ask me my surname as I do not have one that I know of." His face starts to look slightly unhappy and contorts at the mentioning of his namesake, but he carries on regardless. "Both my parents were savgely murdered at the hand of barbarians. I new neither as I was not old enough to even walk when it happened. However I was rescued and raised up near Kara-Tur by a nomad mage."
    "Enough of that now *ahem* I must speak with you about my employment." His face returns to it's normal sombre state and he continues "I wish to help the town by ridding the surrounding lands of the ogre infestation. I am fully capable of this task as I have had many years of honing my skills. All that I ask in return is a building for myself in due time, as I do not have anywhere permanent to settle."
    "Oh and by the way have you any other young adventurers that may need training up? It gets awfully lonely on your own, and my Mephit prefers to sleep in my pack over engaging in combat, or even conversation come to that."
    "But if you wish me to take my services elsewhere I would be willing, as I do not care for the life invested in drink like many other patrons in the taverns in this area." He gathers himself, and covers his scar, turns and starts to walk out of the room...

8. Feirhanith Dengeird Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

IC: Feirhanith walked across the wet, muddy 'street' towards the mayor's house. He walked abrest the wall inspecting the structure as he made his way. He rounded the corner and almost knocked over a slender figure that was moving hurridly out of the shabby wooden door.
    "oh excuse me...." he trailed off as he looked the figure in the face. "well i never, Khazar! I do not know how but the Gods always bring us together in times of need."
    Feirhanith was a tall, well built individual that was no older than the early twenties. Blonde hair cropped out from under a silver helm of fine craftsmenship. A fine red cloak surrounded his entire body, but where it opened at the front again fine crafted plate mail was worn over a fine chain shirt. A thick sturdy leather belt hung from his hip and across his left side the hilt of a longsword was seen protruding out of his cloak. He wore a shield on his left arm; it had a backround of stars upon a night sky, in the centre was an emblem of a howling wolf's head facing upward as if calling to the gods.
    He look at Khazar's ill expression and said to him "I see that something must be wrong. Are they not interested in the services that you want to provide to this community? Let us go and see!"

ooc: i didnt know what to do next so i left it to you to decide. i hope you liked my intro, i dont normally play on message boards where i get to describe my character, this is only my second time!

9. Khazar Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] ic: "Hello friend and well met." his stern face turning into a friendly smile. "Aaah so the Gods have been at work again as I do not believe our meeting was by chance." "I have just tried to get an audience with the mayor but obviously he prefers the company of a halfling than that of Khazar and Beinar" He sets his bag down on the floor and pulls out a strange creature and sets him down on the floor.
    "What now master I was sleeping did you really have to wake me?"
    *whack*
    "Look Beinar i've told you before you need exercise and sleeping in the bag is not it, now stretch your wings and say hello to Feirhanith."
    "Aaah so the poncey Paladin is back."
    *Whack*
    "Hello Feirhanith."
    "That's better Beinar I am starting to control your cheekiness a few more whacks and I think it will be gone."
    "No master please..."
    *Whack*
    "How many times do I have to tell you NO BEGGING, now come on lets go inside and reason with this moron."
    "Yessss Master."
    "Come now Feirhanith let's go and see if we can get a little bit of ogre blood on my arrows."

ooc:ok we need maps, quests, rumours and lots of blood this is going to be great.

10. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Todo met with the other halfings of the village and found out that two of them were cousins to his fiance, Ivy. They promised to share housing with Todo and Ivy if they chose to move to Berakelkin. Perhaps new houses would be built in the near future as well. They also discussed how life here could be better if the ogres would leave the area alone.

Todo reassured them that he had seen adventurers who looked like they were capable of handling such a threat arrive at the village around the same time as he had.

"I might even join them, if they would have me," beamed the little halfling.

A few hours of chatting passed by and Todo went to the inn, to see if a party had been formed, or was in the process of forming a band to hunt down ogres.

11. Khazar Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] ic: "Aaah Feirhanith it looks as if we have an audience at last" Khazars face turns friendly and warm upon seeing that he can get his own way at last. "We were wondering if there were any quests available, perhaps some ogres or orcs need disposing of in some of the most painful ways"
    "Yeah I wanna see some blood, not my own of course"
    *Whack*
    "Beinar what have I told you before no interupting"
    "Yes master" He replied as he slowly slinked behind Khazar and attempted to get back into his pack"
    "NO Beinar you need exercise now stand here and shut up" Khazar turned away from the Mephit and looked towards the mayor. "So is there any employment I have told you what I would wish for in reward." Khazar turned and started to walk out of the room. "If you have any proposals you can find me at the inn recruiting new hopefulls, mmm possibly that scrawny halfling might be of some use. Oh and talk to Feirhanith please about our employment I have decided about having that drink after all." Khazar left the room and shut the door behind him, with Beinar almost getting his wings caught.
    "Hey watch it master I won't be doing any scouting if these get damaged." The Mephit then slowly back away as Khazar turned round, half expecting a whack from him.
    "Oh yes sorry Beinar it's just that that damn mayor is so inneficient and I haven't seen a battle for ages i'm almost getting withdrawel symptoms." That was his final words as they entered the inn...

12. zaknafein Guest

OoC:im having troubles with my computer so i havnt been able to post. maybe tomorrow

13. Ashila Daergel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

TweesmaI, who was still standing at the inn's looks up when she sees the two man entering the room. At hearing the word battle she turns her face towards them and answers: "Did I hear you say battle?? I'm a little bored and that sounds interesting to me... I suppose battle means money, I'm a little short on that at the moment. By the way, may name is TweesmaI, and what may be yours?"

14. zaknafein Guest

if anyone wants to take over this they can cause i dont have time for this

15. theholygit Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Drazhar walks over the hill the trade route was following and comes to view a quaint little village in between the sea and the mountains.
    Drazhar looks up at small village and looks fown at his map.
    'Hmm strange, this must be new,' a smile catches at his lips, 'maybe just maybe.'
    Drazhar passes his hand through his platinum white hair and looks down at the road before continuing.
    Drazhar loosens the long black cloak that covers most of his body. As he pulls back the cloak he reveals normal loose fitting clothes, made for swift movement and in the dark colours hat rogues sometimes use. A scabbard swings from his side and the handle protuding has an ornately styilised effect to it. A dragon is entwined along the handle with it's tale wrapping down the long handle to curve the tip of it around a large deep blue pommel jewel. The head is beant down on it's chest half way down the handle and the wings are outspread from the top, to create a gaurd for the hand.
    Drazhar looks down and sweeps the scabbard back under the cloak. He pushes the sadle bag back that is over his left shoulder and starts on down the trade road. He walk into the small village and smiles widely, the sun creating shadows his face.
    'This could be nice,' he exults, spreading his arms upwards.
    Drazhar puts his arms down quickly when the door of the tavern swings open then closed, letting out some of the music being played inside.
    Drazhar smoothes down his clothing and starts towards the tavern.

16. zaknafein Guest

ok i guess i'll have to continue this, i update soon

a miner walked up to Drazhar. "heh friend, are you one of them mercenary types comin' here. If yer are yer might wanta
    head down to th Kneecap, heard some of your type were in there. By the way me name is Rallod what be your's"

In the tavern: The barkeeper Ludwick hangs up a notice board with varios jobs for anyone who cares to do them.
    On a new looking bit of parchment it says in bold letters 'MERCENARYS ONLY' and list a few jobs:
    1: hunt down the ogres in the area-reward 40 gold a head
    2: guard the mines from the kobolds that have infested-5 gold a head
    3: defend caravans heading to Nashkel, Beregost, Gullykin and Baldur's Gate

other jobs include:
    1: help build more buildings for the new residents
    2: build a wall around the town
    3: mining and transporting of ore

also in tavern: a foolish man of Beregost saw TeewssmaI and swore loudly and grabbed a bottle of mead from the bar.
    "A STINKIN' ELF!" he yelled before hurling the bottle that missed her completly but shattered all over Khazar satturating him and his familiar. "Take that halfbreed!" the fool yelled

OoC:i'll speed this up a bit from now on

[This message has been edited by zaknafein (edited March 05, 2002).]

17. theholygit Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Drazhar looks at the miner for a few moments and smiles. Drazahr sticks out his hand to the miner and shakes the hand that comes up strongly.
    'Hello there, nice to meet you, my name is Drazhar,' Drazhar drops his hand to his own side and adopts a neutral expression.
    'Mercanry, no my freind i don't normaly hire out,' Drazhar smiles, 'Well not any more that is.
    Drazhar looks over at the tavern, 'If there is anything i could do i would be happy to help though.' With that Drazhar walks away from the miner and heads towards the tavern.
    Drazhar swings open the doors and looks in, just as a bottle shatters over a group near the bar.
    'Take that halfbreed Drazhat hears a particulary angry man shout from one side of the room.
    Drazhar takes an indrawn breath as the bottle smashes and spills it's contents all over, what apears to be, a half elf.
    Drazhar watches as the man slowly whipes himself off and look up sternly at the man who threw the bottle.

ooc: quite good idea you have going here, lets see if any oe else replies... :hahaerr:

[This message has been edited by theholygit (edited March 07, 2002).]

18. Khazar Gems: 6/31

Khazar obviously aware of what just happened became extremely annoyed almost immediately.

He threw his empty tankard at the man and with astonishing speed drew his longbow and fired an arrow through it pinning the man's left arm of his jacket to his table. The man then fell backwards and being attached to the table with the arrow pulled the whole thing over on himself. Khazar in the blink of a human eye, shouldered his bow and drew both his katanas, moved over to the man and held them crossed underneath the man's throat and spoke...

"I do not know you and you do not know me or my kin and I may have over reacted but I think that you may have got the idea that we are not here to be abused. We are here as mercenaries and are going to help your pathetic village with it's current problems. So if you decide to get in our way it is your blood that will be spilt like your drink. Keep it in mind and keep away from me and my fellow adventurers."

Khazar sheathed the swords with immense speed and accuracy and folded his long coat around himself hiding his weapons and pulled his hood up, hiding his scar...

"Come Beinar we need to find better company. Oh and Teewsmai you may join us if you would like."

He then threw Ludwick three gold pieces...

"These are for the drinks and my tankard, thanks friend"

And with that he left the building almost disappearing into the shadows at the same time. Beinar hurried behind fully aware that his master was not in his best mood.

*Khazar to Beinar*

"I think that we shall go to the mines as I think they might be having a few kobold problems."

[This message has been edited by Khazar (edited March 11, 2002).]

19. Feirhanith Dengeird Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] *looking up from the message board and turning towards the table where his friend Khazar had once sat but did no more. He did not realise that anything out of the ordinary had happened in the tavern as he was so deep in thought.

he looks across the room to where a turned over table was lying. a man was crouching on his knees trying despiratly to pull and arrow out of the table that had pinned his shirt to it.
    Feirhanith immediatly siad to himself "not again!" as he realized that only one person he knew here in Berakelkin would do something like that. Feirhanith turned out the door and quickly followed his half-elf friends tracks, most people would be suprised at a human being able to find an elf's tracks but feirhanith was one of the few humans alive able to do this.
    "I like the sound of the ogres, why are you heading for the mines!" Shouted Feirhanith knowing his friend could hear him with his unhumanly sharp hearing.

ooc: i want to kick some ogre butt. kobolds are fairly easy! Khazar.

20. zaknafein Guest

All people in the village can now hear the man screaming for his mummy.
    OoC: this is getting interesting

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.