1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Character for Solo? and how far are you with your Solo?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Cackfiend, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Cackfiend Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ive read through a lot of posts and seems like a lot of people like a Sorc for a solo char.
    Also read to get 1 level monk and 1 level pally (evasion and resistances and cha or something). So what race should that be then? Has anyone been really succesful with a solo char? Anyone beat HOF with a solo char yet?

Im just about to beat regular mode with my 6 char party and already excited about restarting with just a solo char... wanna know what would be the funnest and most powerful.

2. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

For a solo run, you need to consider power more than fun, especially if you play HoF.
    So, my suggestion would be drow or aasimar for CHA bonus. However, neither race's favored class is sorcerer, so you will be penalized while gaining XP.
    Aasimar - Sor X/Pal 1 : STR 12 DEX 12 CON 12 INT 16 WIS 8 CHA 20

3. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I sort of stopped a dwarf barbx/fighter4 in the goblin fortress because healing is so far away. Lots of walking until regeneration items found.

4. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Believe it or not, a Bard is a gem in Solo. I managed to get to the Goblin Fortress (Outposts) before I stopped it. The only problem I had was healing of course, but with terriffic Charisma and the Mercantile and Courteous Magocracy feats, he got potions cheap. :)

His stats were:

Elaythe Silverstring
    Chaotic Good
    Tiefling Bard 8
    STR: 12
    DEX: 16
    CON: 13
    INT: 14
    WIS: 11
    CHA: 17

Feats: Weapon Finesse, Mercantile, Curteous Magocracy, Bards Song Feats, Specialization: Small Blade, Snake Blood.
    Weapons: Short Sword +2, Short Bow +1,

Perhaps I should have multiclassed him to Ranger (fighting ability/healing) or Cleric (healing). But something kept me wanting to play a pure bard.
    It worked, for a while at least.

:)

5. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The strength of your bard is too weak you should spend your points on strength not on charisma. And you better don't multiclass to a fighter becouse of your low strength. I'm surprised you got so far with a solo bard. ;)

6. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well, seeing how the bard's spell stat is charisma (like the sorcerer) CHA is definetely one to pump with the bard, else you'll be stuck with just a lousy fighter who can sing :D

7. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] Ancalimon, considering I've got a high Dexterity, combined with a short sword and the Weapon Finesse feat, why the hell would I want to have strenght?

Regardless, the Bard isn't a combat class and should never be treated as such. I always got maximum rewards (even extra stuff) sometimes because of my Charisma, and the Mercantile Feat, Diplomacy, Bluff etc. So I had plenty of money to spend on potions incase I needed combat boosting or healing.

Bulls Strenght is a great spell, and because a Bard is also a spellcaster, I could cast this spell about 6 times a day. (Granting me +1d6 Strenght anyway).

Simply not true. If I had multi-classed to a fighter, I would have gained better Attack Bonuses yes, but Strength wasn't nessecary, because Weapon Finesse allows me to use my Dexterity bonus (which was +3) for attack bonuses and not strength. And since Charisma allows new Conversation options, as well as allows Bards to cast spells more often and gain bonuses for songs, I considered it far more important than Strength.

You don't know what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

8. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Again, I forgot about the weapon finesse.Didn't know he could take that feat. You're right Gopher. Also, I didn't know his casting stat was charisma, I thought it whas intelligence. I never play a bard, I prefer wizard or sorcerer. So, I agree with what you say, becouse you are experienced with the bard class and I am not. ;)

Also, I have a great idea for a solo: A wizardx/sorcererx. Yes, I know, you will have many spells overlapping, but that's not bad, imagine how much spells you will be able to cast. I would spend most points INT and CHA, DEX (if he can use weapon finesse?), he would need 3 ranks in armored arcana. And I can also multiclass him to rogue, with all the benefits of DEX. Conversation will be great, and if you balance your levels out, you wont get an xp penalty. He can, like your bard, use bull's strength and such spells and with the high CHA he will find the prices in shops quite low indeed! So no problem for healing potions. What do you think gopher? :D

[ February 01, 2003, 12:44: Message edited by: Ancalìmon The Wise ]

9. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I think he'll only be able to cast lots of low level spells, and very little high level spells.

You'd be off much better with a singleclass bard than a Wizard/Sorcerer/Rogue as you have just described.

10. Cackfiend Gems: 1/31

Well im almost to the end of chapter 1 with my solo Sorc. I'm a drow, and I put 1 level of fighter, and now im level 9 sorcerer. Fireball/Mirror Image is such a good spell combination, just gather every monster and fireball yourself once or twice and theyre all dead, and you dont even get hurt. Also, I dont think theres a level max for flame arrow, its a powerful spell at high levels... I ended up taking bulls strength, knock, and melf acid arrow as my other 2nd level spells. There really arent any good level 4 spells for a sorc, so far ive gotten resilient sphere and stone skin... guess i'll get force missiles next, and then maybe imp invisibility? i dont know...

either way its been really fun, im an evil sorc so ive killed just about everything i could. Who woulda known that druid lady in the beginning gave so much experience *evil grin*. My names Jon Irenicus and i downloaded the portaits and sound files for him, its been really fun.

Let me know what spells you picked with your sorc and where your at. What you are and how fun its been =D

11. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Well, I haven't beat up the game in solo, but my recommendation goes for Fighter(3x)/Barbarian(2x)/Cleric(x)... It's really one tanker... Rage + many feats + many good spells to use...

12. Errol Gems: 23/31

Ancalimon;

Since you'll need to balance out your levels because of the Multiclass Penalty (not an issue if you're solo-ing but still), it could get heavy.
    Because you're probably going to end up a Wiz10/Sorc10/Rogue10, you wont be able to cast anything extraordinarily powerful, nor will you be a particularly proficient rogue.
    IF you decide to become say a Wiz14/Sorc14/Rogue2, then that Multiclass Penalty will drag it down a bit. My advice, is stick to either Sorcerer or Wizard.
    :rolleyes:

13. [WoD]Lord Stanislaus Creatorus Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Hello Again!

I think nice try will be a Any Fighter and Demarch Mask Cleric. On 8 level he will gain ability Improved Invisibility! :rolleyes:

Then your game will be easier!

But i was not trying that i was exporting my 17 level's hero with SCAAAAARY :p Two Handed Sword!
    Heart of Fury - is nice but i think that beginning it from 1 level characters is kinda SELF-KILL!!! :(

I will give you solution export your normal game characters! :p (I hope with they you will ruling the Realm, but sometimes 15level character can't do something that party can do!!!)
    Nice Killin to you but DO NOT FORGOT :o all :o
    Monsters are doing Trample damage! Just think about how do you will kill Sherinkal! :)

Truly Yours,
    [WoD]FCreator

14. Belhifet Gems: 1/31

if was so impressed by iselore and his kickin-butt performance in the final battle for kuldahar that i started a single-char game as a half elf druid. and what should i say - it is really awesome. the first fight in targos against caballus is quite tough and also the first one at shaengarde, but after that there weren't any problems up to sherincal.
    before i leveled my druid up to level 17 (spell level 9) i gave him one level as sorcerer and the spell protection from evil . after that he got level 17 and elemental legion . unfortuantely the protection from evil only lasted one minute - so that the elementals became kinda uncomfortable - so i gave him four more sorcerer levels (i also have invisibility, too) after sherincal there wasn't any trouble up to the battle after you leave the underdark. especially the elementals were kinda annoying and so i was quite happy about being able to cast invisibility. kuldahar valley was easy with the hammer of lucerne. i just had a really close fight with the three leaders of the yuan-ti temple and that's how far i am at the moment.

the advantages of a druid are:
    - you get 8 hit points per level (what is twice as much as a sorcerer)
    - with thorn spray you get a very nice spell early in the game (in the horde fortress i just blasted my opponents away this way)
    - with creeping doom you can summon an extremely powerful ally with a long duration
    - you have wicked good offensive spells like firestorm and finger of death
    - you get very nice healing spells (heal and mass heal)
    - not to forget the elemental legion
    - in duels a druid would really suck - if it wasn't for the shapeshifting. with wild shape - dire bear he is as well as a high levele fighter and as winter wolf he is faster than any opponent

-> double classed with a sorcerer for protection from evil and invisibility a druid really kicks ass

15. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] [WoD]Lord Stanislaus Creatorus, why on earth reply to a topic which was last replied to in February!?

Anyway, it's been said before, and I'll say it again. Sorcerer is the ultimate Solo character. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.